New PB Musky.

Lape0019

Let me start by saying that I do not fish for musky so this is only the second one I have caught. This will be a pb for a very long time as I don't think a lot of people trying to catch these wonderful fish have caught fish like this one.

Decided to hit the Rideau with River Monster this morning for some bass. With the cold front and rain we received yesterday, I figured a slow presentation would be key.

Decided to use my Dobyns Champion 702sf to throw some wacky rigs. I tied on a 1/16oz weighted wacky hook and attached a. Powerteam lures sick stick in white on there. I wasn't having any luck until this guy hit!

And for those who think I am Bull'ing, I am not.

image_zpsda61f0ac.jpg

image_zpse058446b.jpg

At 44" I don't know if I will break this one anytime soon. I don't fish for musky but that fight made me want to a whole lot more! Any idea how much this would weigh? My guess would be in the 20 pound range but I have no idea. At the tail, I couldn't hold it because it was too big. River Monster had to revive her for me.

Adam.

I gotta stop musky fishing and start bass fishing. Congrats on a really nice catch.

Lol,

You have no idea! I have a buddy who has specifically stopped bass fishing this stretch of water because of the amount of musky he has caught there. It's nice and close to my place so I still fish it but this is only the second one I have ever caught. He catches a lot of them off of jigs with trailers. Again, he is bass fishing.

It was an awesome experience and it was released as quickly as possible. It did take a bit to revive though.

All in all, I probably still won't jump into musky fishing but may specifically target them once in a while. I will just have to go out with someone who is set up for it.

Adam

Beauty - nice clean fish - a 44" with that girth would be right around the 20 to 21lb mark. Must have been a blast on a bass setup!

The Dobyns 702SF spinning reel is not just a bass reel, it is a medium light bass reel which made this extremely challending. I would get this monster to the side of the boat and it would take off again. There was no horsing it in at all! It was all about playing the fishing and waiting. I was extremely surprised at how well that 2 power worked but I wouldn't want to do that too many time. It isn't good for the fish and it isn't good for my rod!

Hopefully next time I tangle with one, it will be on my 5 series rods which have a little more backdone.

Adam