Who's pumped for the kawartha Musky Opener??

jeffw

I'm on sturgeon lake and will be out sat and sun. I caught a 42" ski 2 weeks ago bottom bouncing for pickeral and hoping he is still kicking around. The weeds are growing in nice and the waters in the low 70's so the bite should be pretty good.

Cheers Jeff

I think im going to start taking up musky fishing.

Don't have anything for musky yet, maybe a few big crankbaits.. probaby use the curado 201 with 50lb powerpro, but don't have a heavy rod...

any cheap/good recommendations for a starter rod? under $100?

Unfortunately I will not be out on Sturgeon this year for the opener, the resort we normally stay at was booked. Daughters dance recital this weekend as well. A few of my friends from the NMA will be staying at Ennsimore over on Pigeon, if you see them (NY boat id's), give them a shout. Leave a few of them for me to catch in the Fall, good luck to all .................

Kevin, 50# line on a bass reel and a light rod won't do it. That line could possibly subdue a small musky eventually, but definitely not a large one, and you'll lose a lot of lures to backlashes on line that light. A good basic outfit with 80# line will cost you about $300, roughly $150/$160 for both the rod and reel. Compared to rainbows, chinooks or even big carp and catfish, muskies don't even rank as fighters...it's all over withing 3 to 5 minutes after the strike. Muskie tackle is for the lures used and to a lesser extent, handling big fish quickly. Guys can land thirty pound salmon on a six pound mono tipped, but they're not using it to heave around half-pound lures or fishing heavy cabbage/banging rocks etc. Ebay, muskiefirst.com and the OFC classified are all excellent sources for used rods and reels, baits also. I have used them all at one time or another and the people are always on the level. If you do a search on Ebay Canada for 'Garcia 6500 Muskie Reels' you'll get all kinds of hits and can probably drive to the seller and get a steal, many go for less that $75. Muskie-action Shimano Compres cost less than $100 and Lebaron's sells them, I think they're outstanding value. One trip throwing baits in the wind with fifty pound line or one decent fish on the wrong gear will have you shopping for upgrades by Monday morning, trust me on that. It's not fair to the fish or you to go in with the wrong tackle, you'll both lose. Nets are the next most important item, most guys want to catch a muskie but have no idea what comes next once they thing's beside the boat. You can get great deals on the same websites, used. Good luck.

Wow, some good Carma or what! Just got a phone call from the marina; my motor is fixed, and only at a cost of $102. Very Nice. Looks like I might get out for the Muskie this weekend after-all. Too bad it will be Sunday, the Wife and I have to go to her parents house on Satruday and help build it..... yep you read right, help build it! Good thing they own a pond stocked full of Pike!

Time to re-string with fresh Power Pro !!

Entropy

Here's hoping that my motor is actually fixed.... I'd hate to get to get out there and have it bogging down again.

Lip Dip is right. I started off with the wrong gear and its not that fun throwing around the big baits with improper stuff. This year i have upgraded to a st croix 7'6 with a 400 calcutta and some 80lb power pro. Its also important to have all the right release gear like a good net, cutters, pliers, etc.

I have never heard of people catching 30 lb salmon on 6 pound test. If this is the case then they better be spooled with 1000 yds of line cause the fish is gonna spool you. Compres are now over 115 bucks and more. Abu garcia is a nice reel but cheap on the bearings. Pete Mania combos are great starter set ups. I have had muskies fight for over 10 mins but most do succumb in 5. Do not go cheap on the outfits either. LSC this weekend and with the full moon out ,I will be fishing at midnight friday night. Should be a great bite.

You're right squid, Garcias don't really have much of a following or history with muskie fishermen. I was just trying to help with a fairly uneducated guess I'm basing on what I've heard/read, not what I and others have experienced. Pearson, Johnson have been using the same Garcia's since the 1970's, I'm pretty sure they're a viable option. (But they might prefer reels with cheap bearings though, I'm not sure). Tell you what, post pics of the last five muskies you caught last season on a Maina combo and I'll post my last five on those junk Garcias lol. Lots of river fishermen W. Coast and ONT hold line class records for huge salmon on very light leader material, float and fly fishing. Ask some of the experienced river rats like Spiel etc if guys use ten or twelve pound leader material to catch big fish, it's always much much lighter. I say good luck to all and use what you feel most comfortable with, I think you're right about this wknd, she's shaping up nice!

Cnv1643.jpgpic0001.jpgpic0005.jpgIMG_0527.JPG

That is all I have here at work LipDip, i'll post more. Your turn.

Wow, that is incredible.

Anyone have any good suggestions for catching muskie in any rivers, lakes from shore for the opener?

Hey Squid, since you've never heard of a 30lb salmon caught on 6lb test, I thought you better see this pic.

087569.jpg

This was a 42" X 24" (30.03lbs) chinook caught off the Bronte pier on 6lb trilene xt. It took 20 minutes. I was using a 9ft ugly stik trolling rod.

Anything is possible.

Good luck to all on this opening weekend.

I'm jealous i'd go if i could .. we've been catching em here since walleye opener. on jigs and minnows

most times they didn't make it to the net.. it'll be a good opener here too {Sturgeon River /lake Nipissing}.We usually do very very good in the fall.

Good Luck on the water .

Muskieman

guys like dick swan used to down rigg with 2lb tests & rubber band rigger releases :whistling:

ive taken dozen of 20-30 lb fall kings while brown fishing in my time

AND yes I am excited about the opener this weekend will be htting the K-lakes

Edited by fishdawg