Recent Lake Ontario Outings

Tim Mills

After a couple of unsuccessful attempts this summer we managed to boat a few fish from Lake Ontario recently. Trolling just outside of the rivermouth in the dirty water. 20-40ft depths.

Firetiger pike spoon on lead core 150ft back

chinooktape_zps31478c5a.jpg

An Atlantic on a dipsey, spin dr/fly tipped with an anchovie (forgot the meat rig hooks at home had to improvise)

atlantic_zpsb780247e.jpg

This fish hit right off the Bow of the Ridgeway as I was reeling in the second last rod to go home. Very clean fish.

chinookfresh_zps90880e9d.jpg

Same Dipsey spin/dr fly combo as above (no anchovie) 10ft down in 20ft of water

Thanks to my sister Liz for taking the wheel.

summer2014279_zpsb44912e6.jpg

My son Reilly with an Atlantic. Dipsey, Spin Dr/meat rig with anchovie. Unfortunately, he lost a good king boatside but he enjoyed a good fight before it bent the hook and got away.

reillyatlantic_zps6f7321be.jpeg

We have been trying to get onto Lake Ontario for a few weeks, the wind has been blowing up that lake almost as much as here on Erie. Those are mighty fine fish you got there. Do most folks keep or release these fish? I bet 90% of the Walleye here are all kept. We release all others than maybe 1 rainbow per trip or may keep a few Silvers if they come from deep water and the bladder is blown. Actually caught a Coho last month that I thought was a Bow.

What's a boot Freshtrax? I have now caught 2 Salmon in my life, 30 years or so apart and I don't know Salmon lingo. The 10 pound Coho last month and my first ever and only other was a 32 pound King on a charter out of Burlington in around 83'. I really didn't appreciate it when it happened, but was on the board for a week or so in the newspaper. I figured if I got one on my first turn on the rod ever everyone else must get them that big. I remembered my uncle from NY telling stories about them fishing out of Lewiston NY, if you think it got off keep reeling like a mad man, it's running towards the boat, he was right, both times but 30 years apart.

Nice fish well done !!!!! That Atlantic is awesome glad to see someone had the inshore trolling pattern all figured out !!!! Have you tried running in-line boards that shallow ?? Run them tight to the shore side with a ghost xrap about 60ft back and do a few "S" turns from 15-40 fow or run a flatfish/kik fish in skunk color or silver/ green or blue and you will be wailing on them !!!! Thanks for sharing !!! I miss doing that in the fall .... Awesome fishing