Truck Shopping

jimmer

I think this thread pretty well proves that every company is making a pretty good truck these days. I love my new and old Sierra's, but I've driven pretty well all the late model halftons out there, and was impressed with all of them. It does seem like Ford is making the most fuel-efficient gas v8 right now with their 5.0 L, but I can't stand the way they look lol!

If you're buying used, pay more mind to how well it was taken care of, not what brand it is.

look around at independent lots as well, I bought my truck from one, hes a customer at work who buys the cars/trucks for the dealer, he now works for a chrysler dealer, buying their cars from auction for their used car lot.

but i have a 2005 f150 fx4 with a step side, paid 14,000 for it, im the second owner, the first one being a ford employee in quebec, I bought it 3 years ago with 52,000kms on it. I love the thing, its not horrible on gas, but its far from the best, the happy zone is around 90km/h, you can hold it there, $50 will take you about 300km ( got to wiarton, found out I left my bank card at home in oshawa, and only $50 on me lol) but to be honest, you don't buy a truck for the gas milage, you buy it to use the box to move crap around, and for towing heavy trailer loads.

another tip, don't look at anything other than 4x4, 2 wheel drive sucks, especially in a PU since they are rear wheel drive, you have to put sand bags or patio stones in the bed to weigh it down for traction.

before deciding on a pickup, make a list on paper on what you NEED your vehical to do, ie do you need to pack up a load of lumber or supplies every so often, is that something you don't do. for myself i wanted the exterior cargo capacity for my fishing gear, i didn't want the smell of my waders/boots or fish on the inside of my vehical, plus I do load up the bed at least once or twice a month.

if you don't need it to do any of the above, look into the SuVs the edge and escape are very nice, as are the grand caravans and journeys.

what ever you decide, make sure it is something that you are going to be happy driving and that it suits your lifestyle

All the trucks have good and bad points so the truck should be the one you like. The big differences is how are you treated when there is an issue that is either under warranty or just out of warranty. I have owned all of the US brands as well as a Nissan truck and of these Nissan failed to warranty an issue that I felt they should have. I have been a Ford man because they have gone over and above what was needed on any issues I have had on my Fords. Going into debt for something should be weighted on whether or not you have the ability to easily handle the debt if something else in life goes wrong. I personally pay cash for my vehicle now because I set aside money every month for the next vehicle we need to replace. With time if you save the money before hand it is like getting thousands of dollars off in interest that you are not paying on the loan.

Best of luck on your search

Art.

I was planning to check out Paudash's sons truck on Saturday morning on my way to a wedding but got behind schedule(my wife, LOL) Texted him to say I couldn't make it and he told me it was sold that morning. I also checked out a vehicle on Friday and it was just sold. I have missed out on a few.

I'm actually looking for 76-79 f-150 xcab short bx , IMO best truck ever built had one for 10 yrs , found one for 6k has a 400 4 spd and does 17mpg weather you're towing a bulldozer or a utility trailer , it's actually a tractor in disguise , my current 99 Expedition EB has 459,000k and still runs like a top , but the bugs are coming out of hibernation . Although a Ford guy , I've opened myself to other options , and after being behind a parts counter for a long time , I know full well that nobody will ever win the Ford , Dodge , Chevy argument ( cars or trucks ) , I've driven a whole bunch lately and will be sticking to a Ford branded ride , more than likely another Expedition or a reasonably priced Raptor .