Truck Shopping

jimmer

I have started my initial search to replace my aging 1998 Ford Ranger. I have looked at many brands and did some research. It all gets confusing when looking into the different trucks. I am liking the Silverado, but I thought I would throw this out to OFC members to see what your thoughts are on makes, engine sizes, gas mileage etc. It's hard to believe what some are asking for 10 year trucks with 250+ kms on them.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks,

They are all decent and they all have their problems.

Shop for what you want in options and let price decide.

Take them all for a test drive and see which seat fits you...thats pretty much how I decided

that and Ford really wanted to sell a truck that day, and they really wanted my tundra

Edited by Dara

I scored a great deal on a '13 Sierra WT. Lots of recalls on the '14's but they seem to be pulling things together. Depending on your towing needs, the new ecotec 4.3's in the new Sierra make for a real nice 'budget' package, alongside the Pentastar Ram w/ the 8-speed.

I prefer the v8's and all 3 companies make good ones, just decide what trim level you're looking for and price check from there

I just bought a 2014 Sierra crew cab last month, great deal. If you go to a few dealers you will find out they are sitting on a ton of 2014 extended cabs. All depends what your needs are but I am a GMC truck guy but I really do not think any of them make a bad truck these days. My only suggestion would be stay away from the Toyota Tundra as I really do not understand paying a extra 10k for the name when the others have just as good or better reviews

I've got an 09 Sierra SLT crew cab. Its the 5.3L V8. I love it, I've never had any issues with it, and its great for towing. Depending on where you are i'd recommend getting 4x4. I never had it until this truck and last winter I was very happy to have it. Mine has the auto 4x4 option which is good as its there when you need it and saves on gas. I get around 650km a tank.

What Dara said is good advice too,

Shop for what you want in options and let price decide.

Take them all for a test drive and see which seat fits you

If you're looking at used stuff and when you find one you're really interested in; take it into an independent garage that has no association with the people selling it.

It doesn't matter whether the vehicle has been safety checked & E tested; get it checked, it may give you some bargaining power on the price tag.

I'm not saying the seller might be trying to hide stuff; but things like tires can legally pass inspection, as long as two adjacent ware bars are not touching the road. That means new tires for you in a couple of months. Brake pads are another example, they can be worn down to 3mm of friction material remaining and pass inspection; but that means new brakes in 1 - 2 months.

I have had some of my customers save a bunch of money on their purchase; just by having me go over the vehicle before any commitments were made. Fix it or drop the price.

All I'm saying is that a safety inspection is not a warrantee; all it means is that on the day of inspection the vehicle passed all minimum requirements set out by the MTO. Requirements that were written 30 plus some odd years ago.

Dan.

I would look at the ram with the v8 and 8 speed transmission or the Sierra with 5.3.

One thing to note, if you aren't towing huge amounts the Sierra with 5.3l and the 3.08 gear ratio would get considerably better economy than other ratios.

Interior wise the ram blows everything else away IMO and the 8" u connect screen is very nice to use.

Edited by Spooled

One thing to note, if you aren't towing huge amounts the Sierra with 5.3l and the 3.08 gear ratio would get considerably better economy than other ratios.

That's not really true unfortunately! Averaged 14.7 on a return trip to gravenhurst towing less than 1000 lbs lol

Just a thought....unless you need a pickup for a particular reason a Grand Caravan maybe a option I know mini vans are not cool but they can tow 3500 pounds and get pretty good mpg and if you have a couple kids and a dog it maybe an option....I see tons of people coming into my park towing boats and small trailers....you would save at the pumps and the sticker will be lower.

My old seirra with the 4.8 v8 overall last year averages 15l/100 short driving and towing the boat around and thats with 3.73 no vvt no mds systems.

They all have the Achilles heels pick one that u like for me its always seats and cupholders rest is secondary

My old seirra with the 4.8 v8 overall last year averages 15l/100 short driving and towing the boat around and thats with 3.73 no vvt no mds systems.

They all have the Achilles heels pick one that u like for me its always seats and cupholders rest is secondary

Had no idea those Chevs. We're such pigs on fuel . I have to drive my f150 like I stole it to use that much /100

Had no idea those Chevs. We're such pigs on fuel . I have to drive my f150 like I stole it to use that much /100

thats between 15-16mpg towing and city short driving thats actually pretty good for a v8 see how well the and truck does dragging a ranger behind it.

Just a thought....unless you need a pickup for a particular reason a Grand Caravan maybe a option I know mini vans are not cool but they can tow 3500 pounds and get pretty good mpg and if you have a couple kids and a dog it maybe an option....I see tons of people coming into my park towing boats and small trailers....you would save at the pumps and the sticker will be lower.

This is exactly why I bought my Escape---4wd---3500 tow cap---and a literal fraction of my old fuel consumption (Note all models are all Not made this way)

the money you save on the ticket price---get a utility trailer for load hauling

It's also a more comfortable ride than my pu

A convo I had at a Ford dealer (after I purchased my escape and not where I bought it)----indicated the escape sales are rivaling the f150 (which is substantial)

Higher fuel costs I suspect driving that

Honestly tho----you will lose a bit of clearance underneath---been down some rocky bushroads already with no issue however

just another Idea??

Lots of things to think about. I am a bit disillusioned with the prices people are asking. Checked out a 03 Sierra last night. It had been well maintained, mechanically (new transmission, brake work, alternator, etc), the body was another thing. A hole on the cab corner, serious rust under the quarters in the front (not seriously visible by looking but very evident when grabbed with the hand). This truck has 313,000 k on it. Nice guy selling it, but asking $5900. I might as well stick with my 98 Ranger and the same amount of rust.

That's the thing about buying vehicles in that age bracket, you risk taking someone else's problems and making them your own, my first car was 6 years old and had 147,000 when I bought it. I only paid $4850 for it and it lasted me 5 1/2 years it was a good vehicle for a time until I decided it was not worth putting any more money into.

I just purchased a 2011 tucson still under factory warranty and couldn't be happier, especially when I end up buying a boat of my own in a couple years I'll be able to tow with it and maintain good mileage when not towing, although a truck would be nice but I'm thinking mileage as I still use it to commute, I only paid $14,990 for it with 94k on it, and there were AWD options in the 16k price range I was considering also but ended up liking the one I bought more than the rest.

Anything in decent condition, you'll be looking at 10-12 grand would be the norm. Not saying you won't find a rare gem in a barn somewhere; but they're far and few in between.

Something less then that expect to put the purchase price back into it again within the first few years.

Like the old saying you get what you pay for.

Dan.