My trip to Canadian Rockies ( NF )

keram

Well, I’m back ( ready to go again anytime). I’ve spent eight days in one of the most beautiful places on the earth ( Canadian Rockies – Banff and Jasper NP ). At this time of year there are not too many tourists in that area so the experience was even better. Most of the time when we’re driving the highway was empty. Most difficult thing for me to post this report was the fact that between five of us (me, wife and three kids ) we had three Digital cameras and in total I had to chose from about 700+ pictures, so I’ve decided to post only something what was out of ordinary. Here how it went.

We’ve left Toronto on Saturday ( May 19), 4 hrs flight was uneventful, in Calgary we’ve pick-up rented car and decided to spend one night in downtown hotel. Next morning I woke up early ( - 2 hrs time zone ) to find the place for a breakfast. Not a chance, not in downtown, but in my 1hr “search” I’ve seen probably 100 panhandlers.

When I’ve asked at the hotel what is going on they told that they are not the lucky ones ( no job on “oil sands “ and no money to go back). Very sad picture.

After breakfast on outskirts of Calgary finally we’ve left the town and set the course for mountains. It was a pleasure to drive ( Rockies in a full view getting closer and closer).

Our next stop is Banff. After booking to the resort we’ve went to downtown for some shopping ( wife and two daughters ). Another disappointment. The main street in Banff is turned up side down (they are changing major “plumbing”), traffic is crazy, no place to park, but at the end we did managed to follow our plans.

Fairmount hotel in Banff

med_gallery_186_32_26773.jpg

View from the bedroom

med_gallery_186_32_39413.jpg

After two days in Banff we are on the road again, to Jasper. The 270 km drive took us 8 hrs, because of the scenery. Every few kilometres we’ve stopped to take some pictures. You do not see an avalanche every day.

med_gallery_186_32_43901.jpg

We were down there five minutes before

med_gallery_186_32_28771.jpg

Columbia icefield ( Athabasca glacier )

To give you an idea how big it is, look closely, there are three vehicles on the ice, and they have 5' high tires

med_gallery_186_32_20492.jpg

On our way we’ve stopped at Lake Louise, still frozen with magnificent Victoria glacier in the background.

med_gallery_186_32_32266.jpg

Now Jasper, small town (around 4600). One of our plans was to take a boat tour on Maligne Lake (the famous post card with Spirit Island), but the lake is still frozen.

On our way back to Jasper the fierce snowstorm hit us for about half an hour. The speed limit was 50km/h; I was driving closer to 25km/hr.

med_gallery_186_32_30365.jpg

We have passed so called “Medicine Lake”. The story is that this lake (it’s behaviour) created lots of fear in natives Indians. Reason being is the fact that this lake has biggest underground (underground river) drainage in North America, so it’s water level changes by about 20 meters during the year (now it is full, now it is empty).

med_gallery_186_32_22411.jpg

One day snow storm, next day swimming in outdoor pool. Hot springs NE of Jasper water temperature 40 º C (it has to be cooled down from 54 º C) to survive.

Then, after three days in Jasper we went back south to Canmore (nobody knows Mike LOL) for two days. This a view of a Canmore from one of the hiking trails.

med_gallery_186_32_17274.jpg

One of the glaciers fed lakes. The tree is floating on surface, the shadow on the bottom in 2 m+ of water

med_gallery_186_32_52860.jpg

Little bit of wildlife

Side of the road

med_gallery_186_32_72313.jpg

In front of the bedroom window

med_gallery_186_32_83281.jpg

And one day this, I was late about 1 min to take a better picture. This is a Grizzly Bear.

med_gallery_186_32_53698.jpg

The pictures are only from my digi. Waiting for some interesting from my kids. I will post it later

Edited by keram

Guest Johnny Bass

WOW!!! Those scenery pics are simply breathtaking. I definately have to take a road trip down there one of these days!!!!!Thanks for sharing!

Wow...this post really bring back memories. Back in 1980, my family went on a family trip to ALL those places you mentioned. I remember the columbia icefields and the Athabasca Glacier...going out in one of those cool vehicles...we stayed in both Jasper and Banff...visited Lake Louise, Malinge Lake....wow...

I was just a kid, but that was the greatest family trip....thanks for bringing those memories back.

I was just up there a month ago for my Grandmothers funeral. Most of my dads family lives in Hinton, just outside of Jasper and my earliest fishing memories are catching mountain whitefish with my grandfather inside the park. Like others have said - every time I go back that scenery still blows my mind. If you've never been you really are missing out on a big chunk of the Canadian experience.