A couple baitcaster questions

Ok, so I have a couple of questions. Last year I bought a Curado 201b from a board member, I absolutely love the reel but at some point when fishing it the tension knob fell off without me noticing and I'm now having some backlash issues. I know that not all tension knobs are the same size and since I haven't been able to track down parts for the reel I was wondering if any other Shimano caps may fit?

My other question is what reel would you most closely compare the 201b to? Ideally I'd like to get another couple of these reels but since they don't pop up too often are there any other reels similar in performance, price and size?

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by Christopher k

Your best bet is to contact Shimano in Peterborough, describe what happened, the type of reel and they should be able to help you out with the right parts.

My favorite baitcaster is the chronarch, if you find one of those at a good price jump on it.

I recently ordered a power handle from Shimano in Peterboro and it was much cheaper than any retailer and was only $4 shipping all the way from their office in California, compared to $20 shipping from a retailer in Oshawa.

Good folks to deal with.

Thanks guys, I'll try to get in touch with Peterborough today.

My favorite baitcaster is the chronarch, if you find one of those at a good price jump on it.

Is there a specific model that you like? My favourite part about the 201b is the size, I'm not a fan of these small reels that just don't fit in your hand as nicely.

Edited by Christopher k

I know a couple of guys that heard the old style green Curados were being changed years ago, these guys were heavily involved in the Bass circuit here, it was all they needed to hear to go tackle shopping and stock up on them.

For the price? a great reel. Contact Shimano, the should be able to hook you up. They can probably be found on EBAY also.

Some people don't like left hand retrieve baitcasters, although I am right handed? I rarely used anything else but a lefty.

If you are looking for these reels on Ebay, also look at the Shimano Scorpion 1501. It is the Japanese version of the curado and there are a few of them for under $100.00 right now.

For me, I had never used a baitcaster before 2009 so all of my experience is with the newer versions. For palmability, I have never really found one that was uncomfortable.

At the moment, my favorite reel in the lower price range is the Curado I. It holds a ton of liine but isn't terribly large for what you get.

If you are looking for these reels on Ebay, also look at the Shimano Scorpion 1501. It is the Japanese version of the curado and there are a few of them for under $100.00 right now.

For me, I had never used a baitcaster before 2009 so all of my experience is with the newer versions. For palmability, I have never really found one that was uncomfortable.

At the moment, my favorite reel in the lower price range is the Curado I. It holds a ton of liine but isn't terribly large for what you get.

I'll take a look at those scorpions. It's not so much the capacity that I like in the curado but I actually like the bigger low profile reels, not sure why but I like how they fit in my hands. I find with the new small reels I'm really wrapping my hand around them and I end up with a cramped hand after a while.

Chris look at the Diawa lexa reels they have a little size to them. As you look at the reels make sure you pay attention to the weight of the reels as well. You also can look at a pair of nose picker gloves to keep your hands from cramping up.

Art