Mid depth smallies...?

Hello all

So I've been bitten by the bass bug... So now I have a new species to learn about... More specifically smallmouth bass...

I've got onto a few shallow (under 5 feet deep) patterns...

And I've done well deeper (12-30 feet deep)...

But I don't have much game in the mid depth water... 5-12 feet deep...

I was gunna turn to swimbaits on a hefty jig or some cranks maybe... But I was wondering what you guys like to use in these med depth situations...

FYI... I fish clear water and in current most of the time...

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Mike Rousseau

I am not a smallie expert but I aswell got that bug. I would opt for a jerk bait most likely, and try to get them to come up for it. I just got a few from 12 fow burning a spinner bait (not the best option I dont think tho)

You could also try a drop shot, seen a lot of guys throwing them on simcoe this weekend

(not the best option I dont think tho)

OH MY.

One of my favorite ways to nail smallies and largies is with a spinner bait, along with dragging tubes and drop shot. Jerk baits work well.

I nailed some largies this morning burning (or as I call it.bubbling spinner baits) Just below the surface. Two of them hit five ft from the tube. What a blast.

You sure the fish are actually there? I am not a fan of super slow fishing (tubes, dropshot, etc) unless I've located big schools of fish (usually this is in the fall).. Burning spinnerbaits is a killer smallie technique as is topwater over the edges of deep drops.

Caught some in mid depth this pay weekend on a 6" plastic worm rigged weedless. Didn't take long after the bait hit the water before the fight was on. Caught a beaut last summer on a different lake using same technique.

Pidge.

Caught some in mid depth this pay weekend on a 6" plastic worm rigged weedless. Didn't take long after the bait hit the water before the fight was on. Caught a beaut last summer on a different lake using same technique.

Pidge.

Dang,forgot that one.. Deadly slow drop.

What blades are you using? Colors? Body color?Trailer? Here it,s an easy match for me. Willow blades,brass and nickle. White or yellow body.Weight is another factor.

3/8-1/2 oz

Usually a small silver Colorado on the bull with a gold willow on the end...

Usually a white/green combo bait

I had a killer opening weekend this year. Probably some of the best smallie action I've ever had. Mostly all came on white/chartreuse spinnerbaits, colours of the blades really didn't make a difference. Gold/silver/white, etc. Most fish were off the edges or in the deep stuff between the rock shelves. Stupid numbers.

3/8-1/2 oz

Usually a small silver Colorado on the bull with a gold willow on the end...

Usually a white/green combo bait

If your going to burn,1/2 is best. I did throw 3/8,s but it was a bit of a work out to get it to get up just below the surface. Fishing from the tube,I have noticed that it,s a whole lot different then in a boat.

Keep at it,you,ll get them.

We did well again with Big O's(White),Smokin Joe's(White/grey) and sexy shad(blue/yellow /white).All in the larger size.They run from 4' to 12' in that order.Good luck Mike in what you choose,sure lots of options.

Edited by davey buoy

OH MY.

One of my favorite ways to nail smallies and largies is with a spinner bait, along with dragging tubes and drop shot. Jerk baits work well.

I nailed some largies this morning burning (or as I call it.bubbling spinner baits) Just below the surface. Two of them hit five ft from the tube. What a blast.

Dont get me wrong, I am a power fisher and always have a white KVD scortcher tied up I just dont know if thats the best option for smallies in 10-15 fow. I know they will come up mighty fast from depths to chase stuff so maybe it is the BEST option

Dont get me wrong, I am a power fisher and always have a white KVD scortcher tied up I just dont know if thats the best option for smallies in 10-15 fow. I know they will come up mighty fast from depths to chase stuff so maybe it is the BEST option

There was no offence being made your way.

I can tell you about a day I spent on the lake and only took two rods. Both with spinnerbaits. One of my best days. Fished from 8 -15 fow. Zigzaged.in and out.Sometimes we make it so complicated. The past two days I had a top water,worm and spinner bait on three rods. That was it. No box to retry different baits. All worked for me.

As for spinner baits,I was a Stanley man,but have since gone with BOOYA. Thats why I always say,BOOYA,when they hit. :lol:

Edited by Misfish

I agree misfish.... MOST days it's not complicated... Spinnerbaits shallow and drop shot deep for this guy... But some days it's not that easy to boat fish... Yesterday it was the 4th or 5th pattern we tried that proved to be best... And it was like night and day... Instant results and consistently caught the rest of the day...

But the bigger fish seamed to be hanging in 5-12 feet... And those are the ones I was hoping to catch

But the bigger fish seamed to be hanging in 5-12 feet... And those are the ones I was hoping to catch

HMMMMM Think I replied to your question Mike.

Heres another tip.

MICRO TUBES.

Dont laugh.

Slow dropping bait. Try it and let me know how you do.

I really like the Terminator T-1 Titanium spinnerbaits, no matter how many fish we caught the other day, the arm never got out of wack. And those blades they use thump like crazy, absolutely love them. All I do is add a trailer hook and that's it.

Edited by BillM

I really like the Terminator T-1 Titanium spinnerbaits, no matter how many fish we caught the other day, the arm never got out of wack. And those blades they use thump like crazy, absolutely love them. All I do is add a trailer hook and that's it.

I use them as well in white with great results.I find them a lot hardier than the others.1/2 oz size.

Edited by davey buoy

Hard to argue with the Imperial Angler. LMAO