insight into fishing erie for walleye

maestrolaker

MB chap who is recent import to Ontario (Kitchener) and would appreciate any insight from the group on fishing walleye's on Erie and or Trout/Salmon on Ontario. I have an 18' whaler that is itching to get on the water!

- some good places to launch from given I will be coming from Kitchener?

- what am I looking for in terms of structure...I'm used to fishing 'shield lakes'

- bottom bounce? crankbaits?

Any info would be appreciated

I am not positive but the guy in the video seems to be fishing in the Erie Pa and Western New York area of Lake Erie. Roughly 100 - 150 miles east of here and a tendency towards a bit deeper waters.

Walleye on Lake Erie are pretty well known to suspend, especially as summer increases water temp. Find baitfish, find masses of boats and there are probably walleyes in the area.

If you look he has a series of videos on the subject that covers it pretty well, and seasonal patterns play a part.

Great feedback.....I was thinking of dropping in around port dover and heading out but someone was telling me that there's limited action at this end as of yet and one has to head further west right now....leamington area?

Making sense or am I likely to find some fish at 55' with bait fish in the central east area as well?

Much appreciated....we use to chase the 'green backs' on lake Winnipeg but it was typically a late fall shiner run that was stacking them in the south basin Oct/Nov

Just back from a trip down Wheatley / Leamington, way. Here a few from our first outing. 33 - 35 FOW, worm harness off a 3 colour section of leadcore running off a planer board about 100 foot back, worm harness, and a down rigger running 90 back. Target depth was 20 foot.. We didn't run bottom bouncers this trip, but heard this was a hot presentation this weekend. Just look for the parking lot of boats and start trolling

DSCF2662_zpsadd88438.jpg

DSCF2660_zps735d3359.jpg

DSCF2669_zps8f730567.jpg

Edited by spincast

When running spoons and cranks, troll much faster (3-3.5 mph) than you typically would for shield lake eyes.

Structure on the main lake? All you'll see for miles upon miles is a totally flat bottom with little to no weeds so all you do is pick a spot and start trolling until you find the fish.

The lake Erie walleye in the Western Basin (from Ohio to Long Point) run an annual migration which starts with their spawn in the western rivers (like Detroit River) in April/May. The post spawn fish head out into the lake in search of food. These migratory fish don't relate so much to structure as they do to water temperature and bait. There are of course resident fish in the shallower waters and reefs which are typically the males and smaller fiish but the main targets of Erie anglers are the migratory fish. Typically, the season progresses like this:

• Mid April - End of May: Jigging in the Detroit River
  • Mid May-Mid June: West end of the lake around Colchester & Sister Islands, trolling worm harnesses off bottom bouncers & in-line weights
  • June-July: West end around Leamigton, Point Pelee, Pelee Island, trolling worm harnesses on in-lines & crankbaits
  • July - Aug: Fishing picks up around Erieau, Port Glasgow, Port Stanley, Port Bruce, Port Burwell starting earlier from west to east. Trolling spoons & crankbaits on leadcore, dipsy divers, downriggers etc. Fish move deeper as water warms and are usually just above the thermocline once it sets up. Often Steelhead are also found in the same areas, typically higher in the water column than the walleye.
  • September: The fish feeding frenzy ends (usually after the lake turns right after a weather event) and they shut down very quickly before heading back west to wait in the shallows for the next spawning run.

The Eastern basin (from Long Point to Buffalo) is almost like a different body of water and the fish relate to the tribs in the East end. The fish aren't nearly as plentiful but there are some very large fish out of Nanticoke, Port Maitland, Port Colborne etc. Fisherman tend to troll worm harnesses more and at much lower speeds but I really think that this is just a local thing and that spoons trolled at faster speeds (2.8-3.5 mph) can be equally as effective in both basins as can worm harnesses trolled at 1.8-2.5. Worm harnesses don't work well at high speeds and spoons don't work at slow speeds, simple as that. There are far more junk fish in the Western basin which I think is why guys tend to troll the faster speeds to outrun them so they lean towards spoons and body baits instead of worm harnesses.

We did very well at Leamington this weekend but things seem to be slowing somewhat and our next trip will likely be further East. Good reports are coming in from Erieau & Port Glasgow now and a few are starting to show up in Port Bruce and Port Burwell which is a little closer to home. Mid size spoons (gold backed) in greens & purples, & Cotton Cordell Riplin Redfins (blue/silver), run off 7-8 colour leadcore, dipsy divers, & downriggers are my go-to set ups but there are lots of other options too.

Hope this helps, there are lots of different things to do in this amazing fishery. Good luck and be sure to post!

Detroit River Early May:

IMG_02073_zps5c0c53cf.jpg

Leamington Yesterday:

Leamington06-28-2014_zps5293f27d.jpg

Port Burwell July 2013:

IMG_2190_zpsd266208a.jpg

Over the last few years I've fished Lake Erie a bit more than Ontario and find it a neat fishery on the eastern part. I launch out of Crystal beach or Port Colburne depending on what's going on. More Walleye in the east than rainbows but as you get west of Port Abino they tend to show up more.

Use Google Search to find Lake Erie Chart 14838 to help with references. Port Abino is in the middle of these 2 launches and the trolling areas are typically in 45-60 FOW east and west of this point. I've had more success out deeper close to the shipping lanes (straight lines on the map out by the border). Word gets out about where the fish are so watch for boats working an area. It's the easiest way to get pointed in the right direction.

As for gear a GPS in my opinion is must have. Keeps you on the Canadian side if you've got the proper maps and you'll be weigh pointing fish and bait all day as you work areas.

Best set up is 3-4 colour lead core behind in line planer boards running big blade worm harness. I start with #5 blades and then play with color, size if bite is slow. Smaller blades tend to attract more perch and sheepshead for me. Metallics, Oranges, purples, greens are good starts. You can also run 2-3 oz bottom bouncers or drop weights. I prefer the drop weights so you can run longer leads behind the weight. Trolling here is like Quinte, 20-30 ft down seems most productive lure depth. Slow with worm harnesses and a little faster with small slim spoons like Dream Weaver SS

Jet plane and dispey will also work. with mentioned lures

Like the OP, I am eager to get out and appreciate all the great info and insights from this community.

Over the off-season, I picked up free downriggers from wormdunker. Thanks again. My machinist neighbour fabricated custom aluminum mounts and install begins soon. I just picked up new cannonballs and clips yesterday. It's almost time to fish!

Over the last few years I've fished Lake Erie a bit more than Ontario and find it a neat fishery on the eastern part. I launch out of Crystal beach or Port Colburne depending on what's going on. More Walleye in the east than rainbows but as you get west of Port Abino they tend to show up more.

Use Google Search to find Lake Erie Chart 14838 to help with references. Port Abino is in the middle of these 2 launches and the trolling areas are typically in 45-60 FOW east and west of this point. I've had more success out deeper close to the shipping lanes (straight lines on the map out by the border). Word gets out about where the fish are so watch for boats working an area. It's the easiest way to get pointed in the right direction.

As for gear a GPS in my opinion is must have. Keeps you on the Canadian side if you've got the proper maps and you'll be weigh pointing fish and bait all day as you work areas.

Best set up is 3-4 colour lead core behind in line planer boards running big blade worm harness. I start with #5 blades and then play with color, size if bite is slow. Smaller blades tend to attract more perch and sheepshead for me. Metallics, Oranges, purples, greens are good starts. You can also run 2-3 oz bottom bouncers or drop weights. I prefer the drop weights so you can run longer leads behind the weight. Trolling here is like Quinte, 20-30 ft down seems most productive lure depth. Slow with worm harnesses and a little faster with small slim spoons like Dream Weaver SS

Jet plane and dispey will also work. with mentioned lures

Fang, just curious, have you ever tried using plastic worms on your worm harnesses?

If your trolling for Walleye on Erie it's more a meat fishery than a fish fighting battle. You may get a couple head shakes near the boat.

You get a better fight winching your boat on the trailer.

The smaller Walleye are better eaters, the larger are ok if you cut them up in small pieces, very watery if you cook a whole filet.

Perch, Bass and Sheephead give a better fight. Fishing by your self or one other is the way to go, rod in hand with a deep diver. You get a hit, stopping the boat gives you a better fight.

Edited by Fish Farmer

Don't know why but the Yellow Pickerel in the eastern end ( Port Colborne to Fort Erie) seem to prefer worm harnesses and fatter body baits like HotnTots and such while the western fish will prefer spoons and longer stick type baits trolled a little faster. Works out well considering the Bow action in the central and western basin

That must have changed Dave? All we used when fishing the Western basin for them on this side of the lake was hot n tots or wiggle warts. Every tackle store in that area seemed to have them as their main walleye lures. This is going back to the 70's and 80's though.

That must have changed Dave? All we used when fishing the Western basin for them on this side of the lake was hot n tots or wiggle warts. Every tackle store in that area seemed to have them as their main walleye lures. This is going back to the 70's and 80's though.

Sorry, my mistake. I have only fished the eastern end, Port Maitland and east to the Niagara. The area were the spoon bite is hot is Port Burwell , Port Bruce and Port Stanley and Bows are a big part of the catch there. While west to me I guess it is more correctly refered to as the central basin. It has always seemed strange to me and my experience that guys from those ports seem to do well with tactics that I would more likely use in the blue zone of Lake Ontario , just going by the reports on an Erie Board I read.

No problem Dave, my experience with walleye fishing on Lake Erie was more limited to the Western Basin, basically the Island region of Lake Erie.

Generally shallower waters there, and closer to the rivers on this side that seemed to have the spring walleye runs, the Sandusky and Maumee rivers.

One of my younger brothers was a lot more into walleye and trout - salmon fishing. He fished the central basin and eastern basin for them too. Spoons, dipsys, downriggers, were part of deep water fishing I didn't have much of an interest in.