MNR surveying lakes

kickingfrog

http://www.country600.com/2014/06/19/mnr-surveying-35-area-lakes/#.U6LKD1FGYNk.twitter

Fishing is a big business in Ontario and locally. The MNR says 1.3 million people fish in Ontario each year, spending more than $2.5-billion annually on fisheries-related products and services. And to that end MNR Senior Media Relations Officer Jolanta Kowalski says they’re undertaking surveys on 143 lakes in Ontario, including 35 in the North Bay area. She says officials are monitoring fish populations, taking water samples and checking for invasive species. Kowalski says the information gathered is used to help make decisions about managing fisheries, including setting seasons and size limits for anglers. Meantime, she says all nets will be clearly marked and anglers are asked not to lift the nets or buoys and avoid recreational activities between and around the buoys.

Me too...had them stop and ask me some fishing questions on Scugog, Pigeon, Sturgeon and out here on Moira Lake.

They should adopt how the US gets a lot of their info directly from anglers with a tag and gps tracking systems that you can buy at Walmart in the US.

You tag your fish and take down info then enter it in the included software program later and then send it in to Fish and Wildlife..

That would be the way to do it nowadays and it would be cool to see where you fish travels in the lake and our Ministry of Nat.Res would get a heap of info about fish, water, habitat, etc.

I think you guys are confusing lake surveys and creel census. Creel census people stop boats and ask lots of questions. Lake survey crews don't deal with the public usually. They look at the biology (fish community), chemistry, (D.O. pH etc) and physical (depths, temp profiles, shoreline development etc) components of the lake. I don't think most Ontario lakes have been resurveyed since a huge blitz in the early 1970's. Time for some up-to-date information for sure.

Dan O.

Yep, out on. Balsam on Saturday and the MNR Sciences boat pulled over at the side of the brother-in-laws boat, my brother was fishing with him and they measured his 57 cm pickerel for him. I pulled up alongside, as we were about to leave to go home, but they never even asked me if I had anything, I didn't have any pickerel, but I still thought it was somewhat strange.

They weren't interested in anything safety wise, measured the fish, took a scale sample to age it and left.

Edited by big guy

Long day for them. Musta heard the beer cart. Anyone run into any of these nets? Just curious that's all if i happen on one. Any sorta description of them?

You really can't miss them, clearly marked with buoys, usually close to shore.

We were on Balsam this week 3 days they pulled up to us each day ask what we were fishing for , how we did and measured our Walleye and took samples . Very polite and after the first time even remembered we were from PA .

We were told not to do enforcement when doing creel census if you want anglers to give you honest answers. In Algonquin we'd even clean the fish for the guys so we could do stomach analysis .... win win for the angler. When doing lake surveys we minimized our interactions with the public as much as possible. A lot of anglers don't see the value in gill netting a lake even if it's a one night set to determine species present in the lake.

Dan O.

We have been stopped on Simcoe, launched out of Sibbalds Pt, and most recently on Balsam, new boats have orange sides. A couple of young folk each time asking pretty inane questions- where you from? what are you angling for? any success?...

same here on balsam. orange boat, asked me what i was fishing for, where i'm from, how long i've been out and if I caught any panfish? they must be good luck cause i hit a walleye as soon as they left. Didn't ask for my license, or checked if i had the appropriate safety gear on my kayak.

on a side note, that lake is loaded with pike now. caught quite a few off the provincial park.

The MNR is doing lake surveys !!!! Not creel census they do the creel census & anglers surveys all the time !!! They are going to put out scientific instruments and nets and other things there is adds on the radio telling fishermen & boaters to not touch anything they see marked with MNR on it and they will be out at lots of different locations for months

Edited by fishindevil