Some new boat mods

mattp33

So I saw these super cool LED boat lights from Bluewater at Bass Pro and they were on sale. Well I have wanted to light up my compartments for a while so I grabbed them.

240_zps280e6a18.jpg

239_zpse28c9d53.jpg

So on the box it says it has 4 20 inch compartments, when I got it home and opened it it only had 4 10 inch lights. When I called Bluewater they simply said it was a typo on the box, after a very long pause (me waiting for her to tell me how we are going to fix) She said have a nice day and hung up the phone. The customer service was horrible and non-existant. I called back to simply find out weather I could order the 4 20 inch strips I need and she said that the shipping to canada would be very expensive and to just buy another kit. Well then I have lots of light i dont want and still no 20 inch compartment lights.

I will make this work so I started to install some of them last night.

009_zps84b142d0.jpg

010_zps762b1a86.jpg

The livewell lights are going to be awesome. All the compartments will be white light and the decl will be blue. I also made this Devider yesterday as when I got the boat it didn't have 1. The fish were so hard to get out as they had a lot of room to swim.

I had a lot of trouble drilling holes in it. Anyone know an easy way? Also should I make more holes up higher just incase the water sloshes around while on the water.

007_zpsb40d1c4d.jpg

First compartment is lit, more to follow

I used these tap conectors to tie into power from the stern light. This comes on when my anchor light switch is turned on. The deck lights will be on a seperate switch.

008_zpse434d25a.jpg

I have a lot of wiring to do over the next few days! Stay tuned for more pics

When you're doing the rewiring get rid of the Scotchloc connectors; they have to be the worse for corrosion and rotting wiring.

Use an un-insulated barrel connectors or solder along with shrink tube. It'll save you a whole bunch of grief in the future.

Dan.

008_zpse434d25a.jpg

X2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good start though Matt.

As for the devider. I would make larger holes 1', and take it up to about 3 inches of the top. Use a hole saw. Are you using lexan or pex? I would go with lexan. Stronger and easy to drill.

I think its plex, I got it for cheap so I didnt argue lol

I do think I need more or bigger holes.

I thought these conectors were the easiest way to go, I jammed dielectric greese in them? This is the very starting point for power to these lights so I will take your advice and change them to prevent future probs

Thanks for the advice

Edited by mattp33

I think its plex, I got it for cheap so I didnt argue lol

Cheap is right. For the size of the devider,I would pick up a piece of lexan. JMO

If you want to take it one step further,Look for nylon.

Edited by Misfish

I'm not looking forward to doing that again lmao!!!

If it breaks then I will start looking for something else, it was a lesson in frustration trying to fit that. The livewell does not have a straight,flat or level side to it!!!

Thats why you use cardboard to work out your template. Once you have the fit then you cut and make a nice fit.

When you're doing the rewiring get rid of the Scotchloc connectors; they have to be the worse for corrosion and rotting wiring.

Use an un-insulated barrel connectors or solder along with shrink tube. It'll save you a whole bunch of grief in the future.

Dan.

Yep, this ^.

Get rid of those. They will cause you grief for sure.

S.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to intstall the rest of the compartment lights in the boat over the weekend. Also fixed some rookie wiring mistakes

042_zps59b00f34.jpg

043_zps2384ab9d.jpg

I am very happy of how it turned out. I even got out to smallmouth country and got my first few smallies of the year. Nothing big but a strong healthy simcoe smallie

045_zps4e9a7694.jpg

• 1 month later...

LOL

Other anglers are going to think it,s some kind of alien vessel out there.LOL

Looks cool.

I can see it now!!! UFO sighting on lake simcoe, seen by hundreds. Goverment claims it is a downed weather balloon.... LMAO

Thanks guys cant wait to get the rear deck done!

Anyone ever seen a rear nav light stick thing with LED's?