charging my batteries

AdamS

As I'm new to the boating scene any help is appreciated.

My boat came with one of the minn kota on board chargers and I'm just wondering how often should I be charging my batteries? I'll try to get the model # if that helps but from what I remember I think it charges all of them. Right now I'm using the boat about once a week.

I charge after each use. If im staying at a lodge, I plug in as soon as I return from morning fish. Got like 6 years out of my Interstate deep cycle and I only run 1 so it had hard use. Can't count how many times I totally depleted the battery too, I would have gotten longer life if it wasn't for that.

Thanks for the replies guys. Sinker, what do you mean by a battery minder?

Most chargers will switch over to 'maintenance' mode once the battery is fully charged ie trickle charging to keep the battery topped up while not in use.

I've read many reports on different boards about chargers being left on constantly, overheating, catching fire and destroying everything.

I now only plug them in when required.

Overly cautious perhaps, but at least it's safe(er)

I've read many reports on different boards about chargers being left on constantly, overheating, catching fire and destroying everything.

I now only plug them in when required.

Overly cautious perhaps, but at least it's safe(er)

I'm do the same. Don't leave mine on overnight either. That said how long do you think its ok to wait to charge them up again. A day or two?

An automatic charger can be left pluged in at all the time, that is the theory behind "automatic charger" and in a perfect world it should be OK.

However, I charge my deep cycle bettery as soon as I get home, unplug the charger when the battery is fully charged.

I guess I am overly cautious like Lew.

I've seen at least one home burned to the ground from an "automatic charger". I only charge when I'm around and awake to keep an eye on things. Any piece of equipment or device can fail.

I'd probably put this on par with getting struck by lightning :)

I'd probably put this on par with getting struck by lightning :)

Bad sh$t happens to people all the time. You do whatever you want. I don't leave the house with my dryer running either. I've see a few of those light up as well. Must be lightening!

Bad sh$t happens to people all the time. You do whatever you want. I don't leave the house with my dryer running either. I've see a few of those light up as well. Must be lightening!

I guess some people have extremely bad luck.

Edited by BillM

I swear some of you guys go out of your way to turn small things into HUGE things.

I just happened to mention that I prefer to unplug my charger when it's not needed, but that's just MY personal choice. If you want to leave yours plug in all the time, that's entirely up to YOU.

Really don't know why some things on this board are constantly blown WAAAAY out of proportion all the time.