Lake O is kinda slow

spincast

Actually, Lake O is, like, HELLLLOOOOOOOOOO anybody in there? .............................no answer

I have fished Leamington once, years ago, on a charter, before I had really got back into fishing. But, necessity is the mother of motivation. So, we made the 2.75 hour pull to Leamington this morning, driving under the Heintz 57 sign on the way. Up at 4:14, and on the road just before 5, we arrived, after rest stops and fruitless stops for worms, around 8. Erie being as she is, the run to 35 FOW took a while and we set up - all alone, but with some indication to warrant the stop.

DSCF2611_zpsca0be118.jpg

We watched the ferry go by in the distance (sorry for the poor quality ---PAS + me at a distance = not too clear)DSCF2608_zpsd207e87b.jpg

Shortly after - our first of the day, and G's first Lake E walleye said hello

He kept wanting to hold it by the gills, took me forever to get this hold......

DSCF2614_zpsddb4511b.jpg

Then, well, she was slow for a while.

So G took some livewell shots

DSCF2619_zpsd190bbed.jpg

after a bit we got a breeze and things started to pickup.

G met his first sheep ... Say "BAAAAAAA"

DSCF2624_zps6c0cc0f8.jpg

and his first silver bass. We ended up with about 20 silvers, 2 sheepies, a couple nice sized perch and 3 walters. All in all, a good decision to make the ride down that way. Thanks to G. Mech for the heads up on the action down that way. :good:

Yes, one of them was mine

fc213a19-bf86-442e-b854-1a35ae359c3b_zps

DSCF2629_zps5cb058f1.jpg

DSCF2626_zpsf4342920.jpg

They sure ain't salmon, but it sure was fun. Over 30 fish for the day :clapping:

Edited by spincast

G did well. You both did. Better to drive 1/2 the day than wash tackle and burn fuel close to home. There were about 40 boats off Nanticoke today and the final tally was, ready, 1 Pic. The smaller (for Erie) wally look to be local fish or a typical Detroit River fish. The larger guy is more typical of the huge migratory fish that head to Niagara and then back to the west end every year.

I asked the question last week, where are those Lake O fish? A few responces of none yet. We did get a few Lakers and Coho early last month not far offshore of Grimsby in 25 feet of water. Of course it's slow because I set up my Starcraft this winter for longlineing and couldn't wait to try out those new downrigging set ups. Sorry about that all.

Like Joey said, a mixed bag, here on Erie you never know what you are reeling in at anytime, could be a nice Walleye, a farm animal, a silver, a huge smallie, jumbo Perch, heck could be a Sturgeon, the list goes on.

Good on you guys.

Did you keep the silvers? They are a good eat!

Hey Michael - G, the fish eater wanted to keep 4, so we kept 4 of the biggest. I'll have to try a taste and see what they are like. It would take quite a few to make a meal, especially if you trim off down to just the white meat?

G did well. You both did. Better to drive 1/2 the day than wash tackle and burn fuel close to home. There were about 40 boats off Nanticoke today and the final tally was, ready, 1 Pic. The smaller (for Erie) wally look to be local fish or a typical Detroit River fish. The larger guy is more typical of the huge migratory fish that head to Niagara and then back to the west end every year.

I asked the question last week, where are those Lake O fish? A few responces of none yet. We did get a few Lakers and Coho early last month not far offshore of Grimsby in 25 feet of water. Of course it's slow because I set up my Starcraft this winter for longlineing and couldn't wait to try out those new downrigging set ups. Sorry about that all.

Like Joey said, a mixed bag, here on Erie you never know what you are reeling in at anytime, could be a nice Walleye, a farm animal, a silver, a huge smallie, jumbo Perch, heck could be a Sturgeon, the list goes on.

Good on you guys.

Thanks Iron man - I have my thoughts on Lake O this year - because it certainly is warm enough now for some spring action to be happening. The alewife die off has been really big his year, and I think the fish are full of easy pickings. Why chase a meal when the buffet is always stocked? That's my story and I'm sticking to it - of course,like you, this is the year I invested a few bucks in trying to get more fishing on O - but such is life, we learn to roll with its little curveballs. :) Hopefully later this month things will turn around. Starting to see good reports off the North shore the last couple days, but the river to Hamilton still seems void of out typical early season fun, that's for sure.

You guys certainly aren't afraid to travel and chase down the fish...

You loving the new boat?

Hey man, what can we say... you wanna play, you gotta go where this fish is.. The way we figured it.. almost same as two back to back trips to our usual O launch, and we banged off more fish in 8 hours than we have in the last 7 outings on O

New boat........................Nah, it sucks :lol: ...You'll see :good:

Spincast, I just noticed your unique (I've never seen this) way you hold the Walleye. Tail and head cradle. You mentioned something about G wanting to hold it by the gills. I've always held them not by the gills bit in the gill slot. I don't like the way you are teaching young G to hold them. Too much contact with the surface area of the fish by your hand. I've been taught to minimize hand contact as it results in sloughing off of slime that is the fishes protective coating, from a seasoned sportsman and scientist from North Bay many, many years ago. I'm not saying I'm right, I might be saying your wrong. This is not to be taken as an invitation for an argument, it is a difference in procedure. I sure missed more than a few years of my Biology Degree.

Cradle a lunker bass under the belly and they will never move, but I was told to lip it properly to minimize hand contact.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Glad you made the trip, looks like you had fun. Leamington is really a nice town with a beautiful waterfront and marina. My son and I ended up going down yesterday too and things were a little slow but we did manage 12 keepers between Friday evening and Saturday morning in the same area you were fishing. We got a few larger ones as well but we put them back so they could carry on with their Eastward journey. As you mentioned, bait is hard to find around Leamington so if anybody is heading down, best to take worms (and lots of them) with you. We burned about 10 dozen in 10 hours.....

Spincast, I just noticed your unique (I've never seen this) way you hold the Walleye. Tail and head cradle. You mentioned something about G wanting to hold it by the gills. I've always held them not by the gills bit in the gill slot. I don't like the way you are teaching young G to hold them. Too much contact with the surface area of the fish by your hand. I've been taught to minimize hand contact as it results in sloughing off of slime that is the fishes protective coating, from a seasoned sportsman and scientist from North Bay many, many years ago. I'm not saying I'm right, I might be saying your wrong. This is not to be taken as an invitation for an argument, it is a difference in procedure. I sure missed more than a few years of my Biology Degree.

Cradle a lunker bass under the belly and they will never move, but I was told to lip it properly to minimize hand contact.

No offence taken. We each have different experiences. Me, well, I learned solo - didn't have that experience of someone who knew to teach me. Came to the sport really late. Actually, I am still learning every day, and thanks for your observations. Apparently, I even hold the spinning reel the wrong way? Upside down and like a baitcaster. Works for me so that's all I care about. Guess it will help as I teach myself how to use a baitcaster? Still learning stuff at 5 + decades later. When G and I plan to release, we use gloves and minimize contact. When they look like supper, we pose 'em pretty pretty and introduce them to mini Bautista. Can you guess where those ones ended?