free walnut trees

leaf4

I fail to see mention of a permit required..... Just can't go around cutting down trees in Hamilton and from the picture it looks as though those trees might be on a city easement being located on the property line of a cemetery ( most of which are owned by the municipality of Hamilton-wentworth)

I would be careful with this one until someone talk to city hall... As the fines can be huge.

Just my 0.05 opinion.

G

That ad has been up for a while.. they don't look big enough for anything other than firewood. The guy doesn't want to pay to have them removed.. I don't think the city has any bylaws against cutting them down...

Pics, permits are required before cutting down trees on private property in the municipality of Hamilton, and with good reason. Trees are scarce in booming cities outside of parks...

I offer this to highlight my stance,

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/7296ED75-61F0-428F-BE64-13D2D99EDAA3/0/Jan19PDO02229d.pdf

It is am amendment to the current by laws in Hamilton to include ancaster and Stoney creek and replace their bylaws with hamiltons, upon amalgamation.

It states permits required for removal of trees on private property.

And they are not handing out permits at a whim. I lived in Hamilton for years and went through this with a tree in my backyard when a neighbour complained.

If you think Hamilton is bad? Try and get a permit to remove a healthy tree in Toronto!

G.

Edit to add at times when dealing with the city, the trees have more rights then you do, as a property owner. But of course this only matters if you choose to follow the law... And if your caught not following it..... Well that could be costly. All for what? Two face cords of fire wood? Not worth it.

Edited by Gerritt

I take trees down on my property every year..no permit.. soon I will be rid of all my poplars.. and I won't miss them.. I don't know anyone who has ever gotten a permit...

I take trees down on my property every year..no permit.. soon I will be rid of all my poplars.. and I won't miss them.. I don't know anyone who has ever gotten a permit...

You and they run the risk of being fined by the municipality. Only takes one neighbour to call the bylaw office, or have a bylaw officer drive by. That said people break bylaws all the time..... But do so at their own risk.

G

Lucky Bugger! Who do you pay property tax too? The county?

G

lol that's funny... in our smaller town we have it pretty easy as well.... Built a deck... what permit? screw that man they tax us enough as it is.

Also, we live in a new subdivision and they aren't charging us property taxes at the moment. They said they won't come looking for taxes until the subdiv. is full.... that could take 10 years at the rate they're going... The wife and I are putting the money away though because if they come to us in 10 years looking for 30K we'll be screwed!

lol that's funny... in our smaller town we have it pretty easy as well.... Built a deck... what permit? screw that man they tax us enough as it is.

Also, we live in a new subdivision and they aren't charging us property taxes at the moment. They said they won't come looking for taxes until the subdiv. is full.... that could take 10 years at the rate they're going... The wife and I are putting the money away though because if they come to us in 10 years looking for 30K we'll be screwed!

And they will come looking. We had the same scenario. The best advise my lawyer gave me when closing the house was to tuck money away. He was right!

Size matters when it comes to your wood. I am not sure how it works in Hamilton, but in Toronto, any trees that are less than one foot in diameter can be cut down without permit.

If you cut one (over a foot in diameter) down without a permit then you are taking your chances. If nobody complains then you will probably be fine... but it only takes one.