Portable fishfinder power

So I dont hijack the other thread....

Heading on a fly-in at the end of July and would like to bring my sonar to help learn the lake. Have a Humminbird 500 series (dont exactly remember model right now) black and white unit.

Really want something inexpensive as this will likely be the only use for it and need it to be chargeable. Not planning on running it all day...just to find structure to fish.

Thanks in advance!

If your biggest concern is weight---I knew a guy who used to haul a small 12v motorcycle battery on trips-----not meant to drain and charge all time---but for a short fly in---may get ya by

Maybe somebody else here has tried them can chime in---I never have personally

I charge my gel cell with my deep cycle charger, and have been for 5 or more years. I cant believe it still holds a charge....i use it in the boat and on the ice.

Just use the lowest amp setting.

S.

The 12V AGM SLA battery is the ideal choice. However, if you need to, you can use 8 AA- or D-cells [or two 6V lantern batteries]. Might consider installing an inline fuse as well if it's not a portable unit. I can't say how risky it is without it, but the manual will indicate you need a 1A or 3A [or XA] fuse between the battery and the unit. For my soon to be portable sonar, I picked up an inline blade fuse holder and some 1A blade fuses from Canadian Tire for a few bucks each. I will hook that up to an AA battery pack and will be using rechargeable NiMH batteries. Haven't put it all together yet though. Of course, I may not even bother with the AA batteries because I am not sure it's even worth it just to save a couple of pounds.

I have a 19 year old Eagle Ultra 2 portable that has two 6 volts that fit in the box it's mounted on. Lasts an entire week of 5 hr days on 1 set of batteries. Still have it and still works I think. It's b&w, I think the coloured screens with loads of info on the screen kill batteries faster. Yes, no?

I run a colour humminbird 597 off of a 12 volt gel cell battery. I just find it easier to keep the bird on its own battery in the boat, and the gel cells weigh next to nothing anyhow. My unit will last a couple of trips on one charge. It's probably the best way to go!

I run a colour humminbird 597 off of a 12 volt gel cell battery. I just find it easier to keep the bird on its own battery in the boat, and the gel cells weigh next to nothing anyhow. My unit will last a couple of trips on one charge. It's probably the best way to go!

I use my HB 747 in a portable icefishing pack for fly-in trips with a suction cup transducer. Works great!

I was at SAIL yesterday and they have a Humminbird 12v 7a gel cell battery & charger kit for $60. I think Lebaron carries the same kit. Your 500 series Humminbird will last a long time off it, I ran a 525 with the same battery and used it for four or five long days of fishing before charging.

My HB565 portable runs for about 40 hours off a 7AH 12V SLA AGM. I had to replace the original battery and purchased a 9Ah battery instead which gives an additional 10 hours. I actually had a lot of problems with the various 7Ah batteries/chargers that I bought. No problems when I switched to the Vexilar branded 9Ah battery/charger combo... so far.