Dying Minnows Lake Ontario

Cloudy15

Last night I was by a river feeding into the lake and notice 1000's of large dying( hand sized) minnows. I am guessing they have spawned out and are dying because to that.

My real question is am I missing a great opportunity to fish. The water is pretty deep, i could cast out to around 10-15 deep. I would think that almost every major predator( walleye, trout, salmon, even bass) would be taking advantage of this chance to gorge on giant minnows.

Thanks Cheers!

Ya, I was thinking that they might be shad,I really don't know. They are about the size of a decent perch. I wasn't to worried about what kind of fish they are. I am more worried about missing out on some great fishing.

Thanks

most likely alewife - typical size between 4-6 inches long

annual spawning run occurs when waters reach around 10C and they are much more prevalent around the bigger rivers like Credit, Bronte,....

they are not very tolerant to rapid temp changes so as water warms up and then a hard wind turns the lake over again in the spring, mortality rates climb

not really....

alewife in harbours are not targeted by predators.

bass, pike, etc don't pay a ton of attention to alewife....

shiners on the other hand....those are what the predators are looking for.

They look pretty tasty to me, I didn't realize pike bass etc where so picky

Thanks!

Edited by Cloudy15

You're right, spawning alewife do attract all sorts of predatory fish - salmon, trout, pike, smallmouth, walleye, catfish, you name it. The problem is, when they're in thick like that during their spawn, your fishing lure is competing with thousands of real baitfish. Even though there may be all sorts of large fish feeding in the area, that makes for pretty tough sledding. The action is normally best before they turn up en masse, and for a short period right after they die off.

You're right, spawning alewife do attract all sorts of predatory fish - salmon, trout, pike, smallmouth, walleye, catfish, you name it. The problem is, when they're in thick like that during their spawn, your fishing lure is competing with thousands of real baitfish. Even though there may be all sorts of large fish feeding in the area, that makes for pretty tough sledding. The action is normally best before they turn up en masse, and for a short period right after they die off.

thanks alot, what if i catch them and put them on a big hook. As they start dying seems like that end up right at the surface, i was thinking my hook will weigh the fish down a bit and make it slightly easier for giant( walleye, I hope) to eat.

This might seem weird but we only have 1 set of samples & with our program expanding we need some more samples of Spiny Fleas, Gobies, Alewives, Lamprey,etc. If someone could gather some Alewives & put them in a jar pickled I could use some for my School Hatchery Program, we don't see them around Lake Huron much but they are still here, we try to go to each of the School's & put on a fishing Presentation & are always dropping the Samples oiff so the other Volunteers can have them for their Presentation. It would really be appreciated if someone could grab some. I'll start a separate post for this.

Thanx & Tight Lines SBK :Gonefishing: