It's not a "real" Fishing Yak.. But it's gunna do the trick!!

NAW

I wanted to get something that me and the wifey can use. Also bring my son along for the odd paddle as well.

But when I'm solo, this will be a fishing machine!

My plan is to make a light weight "deck" that I can mount in front of the rear seat. Something I can mount my finder, hold tackle, rods, net, etc... That way I have all my gear sitting there right in front of me.

It doesn't have to be anything fancy...

I hacked this sketch together in pain to get my point across.

yakscetch_zps344e2d51.jpg

I was thinking about having the rods up from, angled forward at a 45° angle to keep them out of my way, but still easy to grab.

So... Any of you Yak fisherman have any advice??

I have a small anchor, but not sure the best way to mount it. I'm sure theres log of other cool Kayak fishing gear that I have not clue even exists....

Edited by N.A.W

In terms of a anchor, if you want to spring for it, the Power Pole Micro is interesting. I put this onto my aluminum boat, I like it so far, in shallow water, makes anchoring a breeze and doesn't spook fish, would be perfect for the yak due to very little weight (and it has a battery pack you can get): http://www.power-pole.com/jlmarine/power-pole/micro.aspx

Interested to see how the project turns out as you come along. Looks cool!

Edited by mattaw

As for an anchor, I use a small folding kayak anchor and have an anchor trolley system that allows me to anchor off the front, rear or anywhere in between while still letting me easily retrieve and deploy.

Anchor: http://www.basspro.com/SeaLect-Folding-Anchor-Kit/product/10225384/

Anchor Trolley: http://www.basspro.com/Kayak-Anchor-Trolley-Kit/product/11082605010036/

FYI you want to connect the line to the bottom of the anchor and use a plastic wire tie to tie the line to the proper end of the anchor.

This enables you to yank on the line if the anchor gets stuck breaking the wire tie and retrieving the anchor from the opposite way it went in. ;)

I'm not to fond of sitting inside either. But fishing will not me the main purpose for this boat. I think I'll get used to it though.

Been lookin on kijiji for months. These things go like hot cakes on kijiji. I actually had 3 deals fall through before I finally got this one... And they hold there value very well, I was suprised.

I doubt that you will be able to reach your rods if you mount that way, unless you are waaaay more flexible than I am. My guess is that you will need to mount them behind you so that they are out of the way, but still accessible. You might be able to put your FF on top of the front cockpit, but it will be tough to reach as well.

IF I were going to outfit that boat, I would put a couple of Scotty rod holders behind the seat, and mount the FF in the space between the 2 cockpits. You could rig up a plastic "deck" that goes under the bungees if you don't want to drill holes in the boat.

If you paddle that boat solo in a strong wind, think about putting some weight in the front to keep the bow in the water. Otherwise, it will be very difficult to control. It will be great for going out with 2 folks for a paddle.

Thanks for all the tips and pm's so far guys!

I think, with your help, I have refined my design a little.

Now.... I need to select some materials and make it happen!

sweet boat Nick, I've always wanted to try one, I bet it's going to effortlessly fly along with 2 paddlers

this likely isn't an option for you since that yak is either new or in great shape, but I carefully used a chainsaw to make the cockpit bigger, so I can stretch my legs and back, it's easier for jumping out to line rapids etc, I can put my feet up on the deck too but can't use the skirt anymore

100_3065_zps53529acb.jpg

I also cut a hole behind the seat for a 115 liter dry bag, for overnighting, I know it's not necessary on your yak

100_3064_zps91896cdf.jpg

post pics when the project gets underway

Thanks Chris!

Ya, it's used. About 5 or 6 years old from what the guy said. It was sometime after Riot changed their name to Azul....

And i did think about hacking it up. For about 30 seconds.... Then quickly changed my mind.

LOL at the chainsaw. I can only hope you didn't have access to any other power tools, as a chainsaw would not be my tool of choice.

Having said that though, you are clearly much more skilled with a chainsaw than I

Iv'e seen a bike building show where the son uses a hand grinder to cut parts ,then welds and assembles and they are worth $100 grand or so.In the right hands these tools perform art !!!

Iv'e seen a bike building show where the son uses a hand grinder to cut parts ,then welds and assembles and they are worth $100 grand or so.In the right hands these tools perform art !!!

EXACTLY!!! You should see what I can do with some lamp cord, a 9V battery and some C4!!!! :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Curious to see how that works out Chris. The cockpit rim doesn't just hold the skirt on, it is important in helping keep the boat rigid, although I doubt that's much of an issue with that new hole behind the seat. Maybe smaller drybags are in order ? ;)

I did the chainsaw work 10 years ago. I did a week long solo trip with it like that too. So far, so good.

It's not noticeable but it definitely must be weaker and more likely to fold in half if I get it pinned on a rock in a rapid