Baitcast help! Gear ratio for slow bass applications

Hey everybody,

I have recently started bait casting and am looking to pick up a new reel for slower bass applications like twitching xraps and crayfish jigging. I am just wondering what the best ratio is for these applications.

I am also interested in reel recommendations in the $100 to $250 price range.

Thanks

You ran use any reel really, do you wanna have to reel fast or slow is the only question. There are some circumstances when I like a lower ratio reel (My Shimano Calais Mg-5 for cranks is a good example).

Edited by BillM

For what you are planning on doing, I would stick with the 6.X:1 ratio reels.

If this was primarily going to be for deeper crankabits, I would say a 5.X:1. As you seem to be looking to use the same reel for multiple items, a 6.4:1 general purpose ration would be perfect for you.

Curado I gets my vote for a reel. It has a small profile yet holds a tone of Line. There is nothing wrong with the Lew's either but The Curado is nw this year and has a tonne of features the TP doesn't.

Thanks guys. I was leaning towards a curado or a revo winch.

As my only bait casting experience is for Musky with Musky reels I wanted the bass advice. I already have the rods. I typically fish Rivers when bassing so deep crank applications are few and far between.

Edited by BillsTheBassMan

Curado in my opinion, I love my shimano reels, they take a beating and keep functioning well. I would echo everyone else a 6.X:1 ratio would be best for an all around reel, that way you can speed up or slow down to suit what you're doing.

I get a lot of value from all the gear ratios. My 6:1 are old and have been replaced by 7:1. For me I catch more fish with 5:1 throwing spinnerbaits ,chatterbaits and also topwater.

It sounds easy to just reel slower it just doesn't work for me the 5:1 just matches my natural cranking speed.

I even have Curados that are 3.9 I use for football head swim baits.

These are all Curados and I'm WAITING for there 9;1

I sure hope you are right handed....

cause left handed folks get shafted by Shimano.

your best curado to do what your looking to do is the old DPV series 201.

but very tough to find and shimano hasn't released another 5.1 since the D series....

for what your looking for, i'd be going with a 5.1 ... even if that means not a shimano.

I sure hope you are right handed....

cause left handed folks get shafted by Shimano.

your best curado to do what your looking to do is the old DPV series 201.

but very tough to find and shimano hasn't released another 5.1 since the D series....

for what your looking for, i'd be going with a 5.1 ... even if that means not a shimano.

They made a 5:1 Curado 200E5, a 5:1 Curado 200G5 and now the new 5.5:1 Curado 200IPG it does 23" Per Turn.

Mike

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

I use a LH retrieve. Everyone I see using RH retrieve switches hands as soon as they cast anyway ;)

I'll keep my eye out for the model you posted Steve. I am not actually looking for an "all purpose" reel. I plan on buying multiples with different applications but 90% of my bass fishing is as mentioned above so ill start with a slower reel.

Thanks for all the input

Edited by BillsTheBassMan

MikeTheBassFisher, that is why I said I hope the OP was a rightie...

Cause all the models you posted are right handed models. He has now replied he is left handed, making all your suggestions a moot point.

For us who chose not to switch hands with our rods after casting, we must use the best Curado to date - The D Series DPV 201, as no models since have offered a 5.1 left handed retrieve.

MikeTheBassFisher, that is why I said I hope the OP was a rightie...

Cause all the models you posted are right handed models. He has now replied he is left handed, making all your suggestions a moot point.

For us who chose not to switch hands with our rods after casting, we must use the best Curado to date - The D Series DPV 201, as no models since have offered a 5.1 left handed retrieve.

Ah didn't see that. Perhaps the Shimano Chronarch 201E5 would be a good choice, same reel as the Curado E7 essentially but still current in the lineup.

I dont aways chance hands when casting. My dominant hand I reel with, my other arm is almost as strong and I often cast and pitch with it. Even when changing hands, the rod falls into your left hand with the bait mid way out its flawless and works. We get more options in the reel market because of it I guess :P

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher