Good deed of the day NF

Paudash

Driving home today I saw a guy and his wife picking up a very large snapping turtle at the side of the road. I was with my wife and told her how pssed I was because the thing was most likely laying its eggs so she told me to do something about it. I spun the car around and caught up to him at the next light and told him it was illegal to pick up turtles without a permit which I have no idea if it is true or not and told him he has to return it. He apologised and said he had no idea. He turned around and took it back (I followed him to make sure he really did it)

made feel really good :angel:

was I within my rights to do this?

The guy probably just thought he was doing his good deed of the day by getting it off the road and saving it's life. There are much better places for them to lay their eggs than the sholder of the road but it was good of both of you to want to do the right thing.

Driving home today I saw a guy and his wife picking up a very large snapping turtle at the side of the road. I was with my wife and told her how pssed I was because the thing was most likely laying its eggs so she told me to do something about it. I spun the car around and caught up to him at the next light and told him it was illegal to pick up turtles without a permit which I have no idea if it is true or not and told him he has to return it. He apologised and said he had no idea. He turned around and took it back (I followed him to make sure he really did it)

made feel really good :angel:

was I within my rights to do this?

When you "don't know" things, you leave yourself open for an awful can of whoopazz. I know what I would have told you.

For years I had a house trailer in a little park north of Peterboro and every spring the snapping turtles would come up onto the sandy beach to lay their eggs.

Pretty interesting to watch actually as they'd dig the hole, lay the eggs then cover them up and head back into the water.

As soon as it got dark though, the skunks and coons would dig up and devour the eggs.

The guy probably just thought he was doing his good deed of the day by getting it off the road and saving it's life. There are much better places for them to lay their eggs than the sholder of the road but it was good of both of you to want to do the right thing.

I agree.

There is actually an advert campaign on right now to stop... lift ..and carry the turtles across the road by the back end of their SHELL, not their tail as it hurts them. Now loading it into your car and driving away... not part of the campaign!

If the fellow had a valid fishing license, he has the right to catch and keep that turtle for the pot. Season and limit is in the hunting regs for turtles and bullfrogs but your fishing license is required. WMUs 2 to 45 have an all year open season on the turtles and possession limit is two. Not saying it's right to take them when they're nesting but it is what it is. Snapping turtle is tasty.