Review your Gas Bill

Dara

I recieved my natural gas bill 2 days ago.

I noticed right away that it was over double the usual amount.

Upon closer reading I see that my consumption was over double for April.

A bit more reading and I see that the previous months bill was an estimate and April was a reading.

It was reconciling a low estimate.

Since my wife usually pays these bills and I don't know where she keeps the old ones I couldn't look them up.

(she is currenyly away in Nacaragua doing humanitarian work)

I emailed the gas company and asked when my last reading was.

I was estimated for the whole winter and they said that due to a cold winter the estimates were likely low.

I can buy that.

But, gas prices went up 40% as of April 1 (thanks to the Lieberal govt approving it and I don't think the date is a coincidence)

They had billed all the extra gas I used through the winter at the new higher rate.

Now its time for a phone call.

A nice girl answers and I ask about my bill. She starts the speil about the cold winter and I cut in and ask why its all at the high rate.

She says, oh, sorry, we will adjust that.

I asked how it happened in the first place.

She says they don't look at bills, they just have a puter send them out.

All I am saying is, take a look at your bills and its a simple phone call for an adjustment.

The gas company really isn't trying to pull a fast one on us.

The gas company really isn't trying to pull a fast one on us.

No why would they? They've already got us all bent over.

My first question would be why was the meter not read at some point throughout the winter? I used to have my meter read every second month when I had natural gas.

I asked why my meter wasn't read and she said that it was too cold to send the readers out.

They really seem to be playing this cold winter theme. It is in every bit of correspondence they put out.

I work construction and our guys were out there all winter, plus I put 3900 km on my snowmobile.

It was a bit nippy but come on.

I'd say the worst part of all this is just the fact that they were given permission to raise rates by 40%.

That's a big money hit for anyone to have to absorb but there's gonna be plenty of folks who just won't be able to afford that huge increase next winter.

I don't buy anything they say.

I trust them as much as I trust the government which is not at all.

When I asked how it happened and she said they don't review that sort of thing I said, well,

I guess I better tell all my neighbors, she clamed right up.

I am actually very close to contacting David Orrazetti and asking him if he would put out a news

release advising people of this possible problem.

You know, what with all the news releases they are putting out to get re elected, whats one more to actually help people.

I don't work for the gas company or anything related to them.. When I got my bill. I saw all the estimates for this winter were way off..

Given the actual weather and how unusually cold it was.. I would give them a pass.

"They had billed all the extra gas I used through the winter at the new higher rate." they should have only bill the April at that rate,

Gas prices for the last few years have been artificially low... Mild winters, over production etc.

This is only the beginning of the increases!!

• 3 weeks later...