(an older trip) Washi Washout report and spirits in the forest

some guys may not relate to this, hopefully some do

"things just aren't what they seemed sometimes....the wildlife here can't be found in any Peterson field-guide" Hap Wilson, journal entry from Thunder Falls, Missinaibi River

I've camped at Thunder Falls. The same site where Hap stayed. There's some places that have an energy that you can feel. It's enjoyable and interesting more than scary. Washi Lake had something going on too.

2 weeks before we were supposed to fly in to Washi, the outfitter phoned me and said "A native elder had died and there was a funeral going to be held at Washi while we were there. Do you want to go to another lake?" I can't remember his first name, but the elder was a Baxter. The Baxters are well known on that section of the Albany. I've come across the Baxter name quite a bit when reading about that part of the north.

We spend a lot of time during the winter to choose our fly in destination. We had our sights set on Washi. After quite a few Emails and phone calls, we decided that we are going regardless. We're respectful, and really enjoy chatting with the people we meet up there, but we were a little nervous.

Saturday morning, we landed on Washi with a light rain. The pilot stayed with us for 3 hours. He was going to pick up people from the native camp down the lake, but while flying over, he thought he might be a little early and had some time to kill. He said "go fish, don't worry about me", but with the drizzle and the priceless conversation, we were in no hurry.

The funeral was in the afternoon. We boated by the site by accident, trying to stay as far to the other side of the river as possible. Still, we felt out of place.

Sunday morning, boats were heading back to Fort Hope and Ogoki Post. Later in the week I would see some of the rapids enroute. I doubt they portaged, but I have no idea how they ran these nasty rapids.

Our group is a little more into the Karma thing than most people. When we went to Ogoki Lake, we felt like things were OK. We rented John Ritch's camp, and we felt like he gave us permission to go, so we felt fine, because he had the authority. When we went to Kesagami, we came through Ron Baron's place on Partridge Lake and it didn't feel right.

We felt 3 things went wrong at Washi.

1 We went there in the 1st place, during the Baxter funeral

2 I kept a 3 lbs brookie, we usually let all those pretty fish go and keep the walleye for the fryer, this fish was bleeding a little from the gill, I thought about it for quite a while, then bonked it

3 We came across a wolf carcass and tried to take fangs and nails to make jewelry

dead wolf

washi2_zpsf26854a7.jpg

After the boats were safely back to Ogoki Post and Fort Hope, you could feel the pressure changing, a storm was coming.

We were back in camp for the evening on Suday. The sky was odd, the wind picked up. The wind went crazy, trees were coming down behind us, we went into the cabin.

storm_zps699b846d.jpg

That was the last of the sun we would see for the week. The temperature dropped steady. Fishing was tough. It was go out for 2 hours, come back and warm up and dry out for 2 hours. We did not have proper clothing.

washi3_zps1d2c2bf6.jpg

I`m sure the other guys felt the same. Each morning, I would wake up, clear my eyes, and look towards the window hoping to see blue sky. Each morning was cold and steady rain. The last few mornings the picture out the window was snow flying sideways. The cabin without insulation got cold. Everyone would pretend they were sleeping so they didn`t have to leave their warm sleeping bag. I would bite the bullet and get up, and light the wood stove going, then the others would magically come to life.

Later in the week, the water temperature dropped to the mid 30`s and the fish totally shut down. There was lots of time in camp to do art work and Thunder Sticks

washi5_zps42cd7ad9.jpg

There was also lots of this

washi4_zpsae47847f.jpg

We actually flew beer out. A first for us. Usually it`s a mid week check, `ok, I`ve got x beers left, I can have y beers per day``. It was too cold to drink them.

Any trip into that part of the world is great, regardless of the weather. My advice, pay attention to the voices in the forest

owl_zpsedd1f1c0.jpg

Well that's kind of a scary trip for sure, neat, but scary.

How did the jewellery making go?

funny that you ask I made a neckless, it went well, but it disappeared, I can`t find it,

Edited by chris.brock

probably how it was supposed to play out in the end. if you ever do find it, maybe place it in the bush somewhere to restore some balance ?

I'm no elder but id bet this would be their advice as well. Did you lay tobacco? Always give an offering when removing something from nature. Also burning leftover food is another good offer

I've had days here where we just quit fishing because of a "presence" making us feel unwelcome. Thats just how it is sometime. One year, with really low water, me and my kids explored the shore for a few miles. It was really cool to see things that hadn't been seen in years. We got to one point where we just looked at each other and turned around. Very odd and overwhelming feeling to not go any further. Never been back to that spot either and it still bugs me out. A local elder whome i shared the story with said that i was indeed unwelcome. There was a battle fought there and it was alive with ill willed spirits. But on the water i was welcome by the turtle, so do not fear the water

I'd love to put a few back around a campfire with ya sometime.

S.

that would be a blast, hopefully some day, you don't really toot your own horn, but I'm sure you've got some great stories and knowledge to share

I've had days here where we just quit fishing because of a "presence" making us feel unwelcome. Thats just how it is sometime. One year, with really low water, me and my kids explored the shore for a few miles. It was really cool to see things that hadn't been seen in years. We got to one point where we just looked at each other and turned around. Very odd and overwhelming feeling to not go any further. Never been back to that spot either and it still bugs me out. A local elder whome i shared the story with said that i was indeed unwelcome. There was a battle fought there and it was alive with ill willed spirits. But on the water i was welcome by the turtle, so do not fear the water

some people may not think much about First Nation's beliefs and knowledge, but some of us new Canadians have the utmost respect

and stories like that make me think all 3 of us should spend some time chatting around the campfire :canadian: , thanks MB

that would be a blast, hopefully some day, you don't really toot your own horn, but I'm sure you've got some great stories and knowledge to share

some people may not think much about First Nation's beliefs and knowledge, but some of us new Canadians have the utmost respect

and stories like that make me think all 3 of us should spend some time chatting around the campfire :canadian: , thanks MB

anytime we could make it happen im down for sure! We'd need a few nights though I'm sure lol

tobacco is one of the 4 sacred medicines but,

I always thought it was anything of value. We always pour the first bit of our first beer of the day (it's 5 o'clock somewhere) into the lake/ river too. MB likely has a better answer.

Just curious but why tobacco? Could it be any offering?

tobacco is very sacred medicine for the aboriginals. It's used in basically every ceremony traditionally. It has many many uses. But it depends on the tribe, areas and culture. When you take something from the earth, it's very important to give a tobacco offering. Cedar and sage are also powerful offerings. As is burning of leftover foods. Once cedar is used it must be returned to the bush, with a tobacco offering to the east. There are many lessons i have yet to learn. And things are different dependant on the situation. One thing is for certain. If your in historical aboriginal land, and you find a small pouch, it's an offering of some kind. Never ever touch it without an elder. I have lots of other learnings that I have it yet been taught. But i sure enjoy learning! It gives you a great respect for the earth!!! Edited by manitoubass2