I'm an idiot part deux

You may (or may not) recall a thread from April where I mentioned that my boat had the drain plug left in during outdoor winter storage causing it to fill with water and freezing. Fortunately the only problem caused was a little bit of peeling paint on the inside.

Well after a very long time not on the water I finally got the oportunity to go out for the first time this year. Now every previous spring I made a point of starting the outboard in my driveway to ensure it started and ran fine.

This year, I was too crunched for time and because my Yamaha has never given me problems, I skipped this important step. On Victoria Day, we loaded up the boat and made the 1 hour trip to Lake Erie, gased up the truck and boat and bought some bait. Dropped the boat in at the launch and spent 20 frustrating minutes trying to start it all the while checking repeatedly that noone else was approaching the launch. I checked the fuel filter, cleaned the spark plug, made sure I was in neutral, primed with the bulb, tried with and without choke and nothing. My hands were raw from crankin the cord. Then eventually another boater arrived to launch and I had to trailer my boat and get out of there. Packed her up and headed for home. I was frustrated beyond words, knowing full well I was forgetting something.

Sure enough, half way home I figured it out...........the kill switch. :wallbash: Now keep in mind, in the 5 years I've had the boat, I have never removed the kill switch for more than a moment and had never had the motor off the transom. But because I stored the boat outdoors and the motor in my garage on a stand over winter, I guess during the process I dropped the kill switch into the bottom of the stand.

Well I got home, installed the kill switch and sure enough it started on the 2nd pull.

It seems like everyting I touch lately breaks down. I'm afraid to use the men's room! :D

First I read Wayne's post and now this one.....ACK!!! I think maybe I'll get a canoe...although with my luck the paddles will be electronic and computer chip controlled and something will happen to them....haha. Sorry to hear about your trip...you'll get out there and start catching fish!!

Oh yeah...glad to hear the damage wasn't too bad from your drain plug incident!!

Yep the old emergency stop function. I've forgot to insert the little plastic thing more than once. One time I was trying to get the motor started at a boat ramp and just couldn't get anything to happen....tried and tried and tried but mothing, no kick, no starter, wouldn't even turn over. I had left it in gear and that was the prob, did I ever feel like a moron :whistling:

Happened to Leah last year. Went to town..took the clip out and threw it in her pocket and then tried and tried to start the Honda. Gave up and started rowing the 16 foot STEEL boat the 2 miles to the cottage. 6 different guys stopped by to "help" her...with no success. Along came a blonde female in another boat that immediately said "did you take the little clip off the red button?", to which Leah replied "Aw sheeeet" or something like that. Blonde " I do that all the time".

I laughed my arse off when she got back to the cottage and then we went for Chinese food a couple nights later and I did the same darn thing!

Happened to Leah last year. Went to town..took the clip out and threw it in her pocket and then tried and tried to start the Honda. Gave up and started rowing the 16 foot STEEL boat the 2 miles to the cottage. 6 different guys stopped by to "help" her...with no success. Along came a blonde female in another boat that immediately said "did you take the little clip off the red button?", to which Leah replied "Aw sheeeet" or something like that. Blonde " I do that all the time".

I laughed my arse off when she got back to the cottage and then we went for Chinese food a couple nights later and I did the same darn thing!

See you always end up laughing about these sorts of things after some time has passed.

I'm still irked by reading the Lund story Wayne...

Tony

When my wife has one of these rare ;) “blonde” moments my favorite line is “stand back guys….she’s all mine”

:lol: huey graphite, I can relate to that, but not on a personal level(nothing I own has that type of kill switch), saw it happen right in front of me 20 yrs. ago. I was one of many volunteers as a flagman in a snowmobile race. These guys are running full tilt, and need flagmen to notify them of upcoming checkpoints, so they can slow down in enough time, to show their tag numbers on the jerseys they are wearing. One guy, he slams on the brakes at the very last minute, and takes his hand off of the throttle, and widely displays his number on his chest for the checkpoint guys.

But, it disconnected the kill switch, and the snowmobile dies instantly, now he is frantically pulling, pulling, pulling the starter cord, thinking he flooded it, holding down the throttle, pulling, pulling, pulling the starter cord, ..........until he is breathless, and as officials, we cannot tell him what has happened. We can see it, but not intervene. Takes him almost a minute, and he slumps back on the sled, disgusted, thinking he is over and done, with other racers passing by, the kill switch lead hanging down his chest was an obvious target for his rage, and he flips it over his shoulder.

...............................................Then,............. the light went on, he turns his head as if to say, what the heck was THAT????, realizes in an instant what the problem is, now the bloody thing is caught up in his jersey number on his back :lol: (those coiled cords are a nuisance) gets it free, plugs it back in, and fires up his machine(fortunately for him, he had not flooded his machine) and back in the race he went.

I think he finished 3rd, after all of that.

Just goes to show you, you must take the time to really evaluate any situation when things do not go right. Sometimes its a total failure with equipment, sometimes its just a very simple solution, gotta keep a clear head, not jump to conclusions.

My own really personal experience was going down to the states, not far south of the border, putting my buds boat in, and it won't start. The kicker does though, so we clear the launch, and work on the problem. Found the main gas tank line had separated off of the bulkhead(took us 30 min. to figger it out) but we did not delay anyone else at the launch. Quickly re-attached the separated line, and all was good.

Like someone said "at least it didn't cost you anything"

My dumbest move was a freebie too.

It's not a "kill switch" story but it's dumb enough to qualify.

I just bought a brand new Princecraft with a 40 hp on it.

Was the first boat I ever bought. This is back about 15 yrs ago.

Pulled in to the launch on Scugog for the maiden voyage.

Unhooked everything, handed the girlfriend the bow line, and backed her in slick as can be...

Girlfriend was on the dock walking along beside the boat. All she had to do was hang on to the rope.

We went over the procedure on the drive up by the way. I hit the brakes, boat slides off, and keeps on sailing...

"Where's the rope ???" I yell (scream/cry really but hey). "In the boat" she says...

2 old guys fishing on the end of the dock with grins on their faces, one waves at my boat as it sails away, the other puts his hat over his heart.

I jump outta the truck and run down the dock peeling off shoes, glasses, wallet, shirt, then I was at the end of the dock. Full dive into Scugog. This was early season, real early. Your heart really can jump into your throat.

I always thought that was just a saying.

Luckily it was only about a 40 foot swim to the boat. I later figured the water was a total of 4 feet deep and I could have waded out but hey, it was a new boat. Plus I think the old dudes were impressed with my high speed running strip and full gainer dive. Back at the dock my girlfriend was upset and crying.

Cheap trick.

I'm a sucker for that.

I was a bad captain, and twas' my fault.

I told her I should have been more specific as to rope holding responsibilities.

If the rope is not in your hands....you are not holding it.

We all had a good laugh, but I think the 2 old dudes laughed the hardest. <_<

I'm sure they still laugh about it.

At least you didn't have old, wise a/ss dudes as witnesses.

Hookset.

I KNOW HOWYAZ FEEL I ONCE DROVE 4HRS FROM NOWHERE ONTARIO INTO THE BUSH

TO FIND OUT THAT MY GAS TANK AND COOLER OF BEER HAD STAYED AT HOME.

I GOT HOME AND UNKOOKED THE BOAT TO GO GET LUNCH ..

I THEN DROVE AN HOUR NORTH .TO REALIZE THAT MY BOAT WAS WITH MY GAS TANK AND BEER

NEEDLESS TO SAY I DID'NT GET MUCH FISHIN' IN BUT WHEN I GOT BACK MY WIFE HAD THE BIGGEST SMILE ON HER FACE..SHE'LL HANG THIS ONE OVER MY HEAD FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

WE THEN SAT DOWN FOR A COLD BEER.

IT COULD ALWAYS BE WORSE .. WE HAD A GUY SINK HIS TRUCK AT THE LAUNCH LAST YEAR

2002 F250 4X4 ..STANDARD..SOMEHOW POPPED OUT OF GEAR AND ROLLED DOWN THE LAUNCH WHILE THE CAPTAIN WAS TYING OFF HIS BOAT..35 FEET OF WATER