Ideal float rod length for eastern tribs

redpearl99

I currently use a 9'6" Fenwick Eagle GT paired with a centrepin reel for trout fishing. I got the Fenwick rod last year because I wanted a single rod that would serve me well for salmon fishing and trout fishing. I found that the Fenwick rod paired with a Sienna reel was perfect for the salmon run. But I kind of feel like the length of the rod is a bit too short for trout. Especially since I run 5.6lb fluoro leaders for trout instead of the 8.8lb leaders I run for salmon.

So my question is, what size float rod would you say is idea for the smaller Eastern tributaries? I mainly fish oshawa creek and bowmanville creek.

Today I went out with a buddy and he had a 13'6" Streamside float rod. It had pretty good strength, but is something at long just too long for the smaller eastern tribs I fish?

Red

it's not necessarily too long, theres just no need for it, where as on a g-bay trib you need the extra length for fighting the fish, casting, drifting the float further out, etc. On most eastern ditches, the creek is as long as an 11'6 rod so no need for 13'6, if you're fishing the headwaters, then i would definitely go 11'6, just so much easier.

the only real reason i want a longer rod is to have extra whip to allow me to fight the fish on lighter line. I'ave had a few good sized trout break me off on 5.6 lb leader in the past few weeks

You shouldn't have problems landing steelhead on your current setup, especially in the spring... As for rod length, 13-13.6 is just fine for the east tribs.

I'd bet I could catch just as many fish with a 7' med light spinning rod/reel as any "floatrod".

S.

That happens,but you miss the one to one no drag system.And to use smaller lb line may get you a few more you may not get?.A lot of fun with the long rod and pin reel I have to say.

That happens,but you miss the one to one no drag system.And to use smaller lb line may get you a few more you may not get?.A lot of fun with the long rod and pin reel I have to say.

Actually, I don't miss it at all. Been there, done that.....long before the rest of the weekend warriors got the newsletter.

S.

The ideal rod length is the one that fit in my car.. LOL. I fish 11.6's for everything but have 3 different rods that length and all of them have their niche. A few times on the bigger Huron Tribs I would have liked a 13ft but it never stopped me from doing just as well as anybody else around.

I use 8lb Raven mainline and 6lb vanish fluorocarbon leaders, I can't remember the last time I had a fish "break" off. It has to be 4yrs ago, see below. If my dad was typing this, he would remind me of the time he had a knot pulled out on the first steelie he had hooked in years as I tie most of his gear for him too though. I will admit, the look on his face wounded me to the core when he reeled in and we could see the tell tale curly cue where the hook had been.

If you are having break offs on 5.6 leaders do a snap test and you might just find your leader material is bull. The last time I experienced more than one break off was opening weekend 4yrs ago. I was using some new fangled polycore type leaders, and kept losing fish after fish. Long story short I couldn't pull and break the leaders but any time I would snap the line with about 2" slack it would just break right in the middle. Now I test all my leader material with both a snap and long straight pull before I tie up a bunch, never had a problem since...

so now I'm confused, should I be getting a Dora the Explorer, stick with my current 9'6" or move up in size?

I was thinking of one of the following and would appreciate any thoughts:

-Streamside 13'6" ($90)

-Shimano convergence 12'6" ($90)

-rapala Magnum 13' ($70)

i do admit that I probably could/should stick to my current set up, but I've been getting a lot of break offs because im still new to the centre pin and have some trouble with the manual drag. Sometimes I get to excited when I hook a fish and clamp down to hard. So i though getting a longer and more flexible rod would allow me to fight the fish more with the rod in case I do clamp down to hard... until i properly learn to use the centre pin.

I also want a longer rod because it always take me a while to retrieve my line after a drift. A longer rod would definitely make retrievals after a drift much quicker

I hear you.... Chrome fishing can fill a large room with equipment we NEED, want, or would kind of sorta like to have LOL. Seriously though one of the people who catches as many fish as anyone else I know, is a young woman of 75 who uses her 30yr old 6.6ft white fiberglass rod... So it ain't always the equipment sometimes it is the experience. Personally I would rather be lucky than good when fishing for steel.

Streamside is the best bang for the buck rod out of that list. Although a Dora special is a close second.. You definitely don't wanna be cranking down on the reel when you get a fish, a new rod isn't going to fix that.

I never found 13' rods (or longer) that useful for fishing those creeks. Perhaps the only time I found the extra length helped was fishing off some of the beaches or off the pier where I'd drift way off into the lake. Personally, if I was looking for a rod purely for fishing out east, I'd look into something 10'6" or 11'6". The shorter length will save you the aggrevation from setting the rod into overhanging trees, into a bridge, into other anglers' rods next to you, etc. The vast majority of drifts you'll do out east are extremely short and line control isn't much of challenge.

^could you suggest a specific rod in my price point in the 11'6" length?

I guess one of the reasons i think I need a dedicated steelhead rod is because my fenwick is rated 8-12lb line which seems a bit heavy for the trout... which might be one reason I break off the light line.

I love the rod tho for horsing around big salmon on 10 or 12lb line

^could you suggest a specific rod in my price point in the 11'6" length?

I guess one of the reasons i think I need a dedicated steelhead rod is because my fenwick is rated 8-12lb line which seems a bit heavy for the trout... which might be one reason I break off the light line.

I love the rod tho for horsing around big salmon on 10 or 12lb line

Not sure how much the 11'6" Streamside goes for these days but it would probably be at the top of my list if I was on a budget. I fished my friend's 11'6" Streamside in BC for bull trout for a bit and it felt like a great rod for the price.

Hell, why not just bring a Dora rod and show everyone how it's really done.

Used a 9'6" Fenwick Legacy paired with a Shimano Solstace for years and held more than my own against the rest of the gear others were packing which says more about the angler. Schooled quite a few drifters while shoulder to shoulder picking apart the same seam of water with that 9.6.

Much easier travel through the bush and hit fewer branches overhead when fish came loose. But that was when the creeks and river banks out this way were owned by tree canopies. With streams becoming more devoid of trees and wider ,a longer stick would make more sense.

I'm tellin ya, a 7' med light spinning rod/reel. Perfect! I use a 7' ultra light clarus. Honest to gawd.

P.S...its not your rod thats busting you off. A new lighter rod may help you some, but you need to snap a bunch off before you get the feel of the pin. It takes a bit. Before ya know it, you'll be running 2lb leaders with ease. The best thing for you to do is use what you have, and get good at it. A new rod will just start a new learning curve, and you haven't figured out the gear you already have. EXPERIENCE will outfish any rod/reel combo. Take the time to get as much as you can.

S.