finally found out the fine from the neighbours camp

grt1

I know I might take heat for this... But is he any worse doing this a few times a year then the guy keeping his limit 5 times a week? Or a full time guide getting limits for 1-6 people per day all season....

I understand it's against the law... And that's wrong... But as far as abusing our fisheries... maybe not as bad as others do legally...

In a week I'm legally allowed to catch... Keep... And eat 28 walleye of any size... That's if I fish alone... If I bring 2 buddies that triples...74 walleye me and my fishing buddies can catch... Keep and eat in a week... I can even have 16 in possession at my house for my family of 4... And that's just walleye...

Now if I go out and keep that many on one outing I'm the worst case of resource abuse there can be...??

i don't think so... The guys getting 1-2-3 limits every week are doing more harm then this guy did...

If this is a reoccurring thing then yes I get it... Did he break the law and get punished... Yes... And that's great... But to make it sound like this 1 guy on possibly 1 day is the worst drain on our resources... That's a bit ridiculous..

But that's my weird view on the "limit" system we have... It's very flawed in my opinion... Bring on personal quotas....lol

To clarify... If "I" went out opening day and kept 28 walleye... Is that any worse then keeping 4 per day for 7 days on my vacation that week??? As far as abusing a resource??? No... It's the same thing... I just wouldn't have to clean fish 7 times...lol...Legally different story...

Anyway... Not picking a fight... Just looking to get people thinking about our real issues...

yeah, I hear ya, you might take a little heat for that post though, Haha

I guess we have to hope that the people that made these regulations thought about all these possibilities and understood them

mike r your dead on..possession limits are outdated in some lakes... reality is a lot of huys have some fillets in there freezer for winter months. yes leagally it not legal. are they fish hogs. in my opinion not really. possession limits need to be updated in regional lakes.. the rule book is also so flawed its beyond belief.. the mnr state no money,and yes they have become very aggressive in finding ways to charge/ticket folks.. its a sad story about a world class resource.

I agree with Mike as well. I see more locals out keeping limits every day than I do visitors....

The locals even have the gall to brag about it.

No enforcement, shotty rules....what can ya do. Our govt is going to wreck this country before ya know it. Our resources are being raped in every direction, and they don't seem to give darn!

S.

The law is the law and I have no sympathy for any poachers...but I agree with you Mike. Us "locals" that know the spots, what works and can slip out multiple times a week do way more damage then someone fishing during there week's vacation. I have witnessed it for as long as I have been fishing. I don't keep near as many fish as I did when the kids where still at home....but I am never without some in the freezer. All perfectly legal and I am not a hog about it either. If everyone that had a fishing license harvested as many fish in a year as I do the fisheries would be in real bad shape....and I know LOTS of fishermen who harvest way more then I do.

It's a complex problem with no easy answers.

happened to a friend of mine driving through Virginia, the cop didn't return his papers until he went to town and pay the fine

There is a missing part to his story I live in Virginia and fish often with the local police when I ran it by them they agreed that there was something wrong with the story. If it was a ticket for 15 mph above the posted speed limit or less then it is a paper fine and have a nice day. If he was belligerent or the ticket was for a more serious offence then it would make sense. I personally was pulled over by the OPP and was inspected to see if I had locking devices on my trailer chains ans once confirmed he wished me a very nice vacation. Most Police are human just like me and you and while they are the deliverer of bad news that we brought on ourselves and will be the first to tell you that they write the tickets it is the judge or the court system that decides if it is just and what it is worth in the penalty department.

Art