Niagara Chromers - What a Day!

I had Mike Miltenburg and Andy Todd out for some steelhead fun on the Niagara River today. What a day we had! It was a bit slow in the morning, but the afternoon was gang busters. Crazy action drifting roe on three-way rigs along with the bottom current. I have no idea how many we caught and lost. All I can say is that there was no shortage of action in the afternoon!

The average size was fairly large and they fought surprisingly well as the day grew warmer. The water temp is still only 34F, which is ice cold for this time of year. The water colour has a nice stain to it currently. Our best depths were roughly 18 feet deep.

Boat control was tricky with the high winds and strong currents, but we managed. We drifted rainbow trout eggs tied in Spawn Net in white, peach, chartreuse and pink. All the colours worked well. We also got some bites on pink worms and single eggs.

Niagara_01.jpg

Niagara_02.jpg

Niagara_03.jpg

Niagara_04.jpg

Niagara_05.jpg

Niagara_06.jpg

Niagara_07.jpg

Niagara_08.jpg

Niagara_09.jpg

The Niagara River will continue to be good into June this year with the later weather pattern. We can fish steelhead in shorts and sandals later on!

Good fishing!

Aaron

Actually Captpierre, I was fishing below the dams when that incident occurred that day. I saw the guide boat floating down River upside down with the Coast Guard boat beside it. A Sheriff's boat approached us and told us what happened and asked us to keep an eye out for 2 bodies. We didn't see them. They took a week to surface I believe. I felt sick about it for a while. From what I was told, the guide and a woman lost their lives that day. Her fiancé lived. From what I understand, the guide boat got sucked backward into a big whirlpool that opened up. Another boat nearby was able to rescue the one man.

It is a very dangerous place to fish, especially if one doesn't know the water well. It is even dangerous for people that know it, and a lot of caution must be taken. Ever since that incident, I take extra precautions when I travel above the dams and insist everyone wear a flotation suit or pfd. I know the water well, but anything can happen up there. The Niagara River must be respected, especially above Queenston.