Fish kill. Finally a report that gets it right

misfish

I just went. Pics r below.

I fish the lake weekly and love it.

I am concerned but at this point it is too early to tell how bad it really is as there r very few open water areas. The spot by the restaurant where CTV was, has very little deep water so maybe fish were more vulnerable there???? I am cautiously optimistic. I only saw two bass in that pile, quite a few pike and tons of panfish and a few nice perch.

The lake has a massive population of stunted panfish so if the bass don't get hit too hard, nature could balance things out and it could be a good thing in the long term.

We will see this spring.

Keep in mind that the Lake Association would love nothing more than to see public usage reduced on the lake so the statement regarding "avoiding fishing until later in the season" may be genuine or a self serving statement.

It seems bad, but it's only a little worse than usual, in actuality. Usually the snappers, muskrats, beavers and otters are out full force by now and clean up the mess. This year we have to wait for aquatic bacteria to do it in 37 degree water.. it's gonna look bad.

I dont know the lake, is there much ice fishing done on the lake? You would think all the ice fishing holes would provide some oxygen, no?

For this lake it is more a problem of aquatic weed dieing off and using all the dissolved oxygen in the decomposition process., As a child I use to swim across the lake for fun and if I needed to rest the weeds would hold you up there are so many of them. The majority of the lake is very shallow so the amount of dissolved oxygen is limited to begin with. All of the ice fishing (or most of ) takes place in one smalls section of the lake around the only deeper basin.

For this lake it is more a problem of aquatic weed dieing off and using all the dissolved oxygen in the decomposition process., As a child I use to swim across the lake for fun and if I needed to rest the weeds would hold you up there are so many of them. The majority of the lake is very shallow so the amount of dissolved oxygen is limited to begin with. All of the ice fishing (or most of ) takes place in one smalls section of the lake around the only deeper basin.

Interesting... Guess it's just mother nature showing us who's boss, sucks.