Proposed Military Testing Site in Haliburton/Baptiste/Benoir

mattaw

You've gotta be kidding me, lol! You think a tank base is going to destroy a lake but a river running THROUGH an active base will somehow remain untouched? Seriously man? Apples and oranges? Really? If Borden was that big of an impact to the Notty.... or the Pine.....or the Mad don't you think we would have seen it by now?

You keep saying 'lack of merit' If you want examples just look at your silly replies.

Did I or anyone say that it will destroy the lake? I don't recall reading that or saying that. Will it have some effect on it? Yah I would think it would. What would the affect be? Who really knows. There are lots of pieces of land for sale that aren't adjacent to a well used waterway where the effect would most certainly be nothing. Put it there. There are lots of properties for sale. No need for it to go in that specific place. You can't possibly think that you know or understand ever single fragment of the information with regards to waterways, fisheries and preservation do you?

Personally I think you are taking something way too personally about a location that apparently you care nothing about. I would think the reaction locally would be exactly the same if any large corp wanted to buy up 1700 acres on ANY lake in ontario. As for it being a "Not in my bvackyard" thing. Well yes that is exactly what it is. Noone locally wants it. Even the owner of the property doesn't want to sell it to someone that is going to potentially destroy the property.

As for it being a "Not in my bvackyard" thing. Well yes that is exactly what it is. Noone locally wants it. Even the owner of the property doesn't want to sell it to someone that is going to potentially destroy the property.

I'm glad you finally admitted it... So you can jump off the destruction of the lake/wilderness bandwagon now.

:) I was never on that bandwagon. I don't however support any commercial type development anywhere on any waterway in southern ontario. We have so much pristine water here. Why go the route of other countries and leave ourselves open to the potential of destroying even one piece. It just doesn't make sense. The potential is there for damage, to say otherwise is nieve and narrow. Besides we have bigger concerns like who is the next captain assuming its not phaneuf. haha

Edited by jedimaster

The people win and Armatec is looking to build a site elsewhere!

http://highlanderonline.ca/armatec-ceo-looking-elsewhere?id=727

Armatec CEO looking elsewhere By Mark Arike - Staff Writer | April 10, 2014
share_save.png

After being denied at the municipal level, Armatec Survivability will not file an appeal with the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB).

The London-area company issued a press release on April 10 to confirm they would not be taking further action to develop a specialized military testing facility on a 2,300-acre property in the Harcourt area.

“It is most unfortunate that the planning approvals process was not allowed to play out fully,” said Heather Sadler, professional planner for the project.

During a March 25 council meeting, Dysart councillors followed the advice of the municipality's planning and development committee – which is comprised of three councillors – by denying amendments to the zoning bylaw and Official Plan that would allow the company to proceed.

Prior to the decision, the company hosted an information session at the Harcourt Community Centre in February and were part of the public planning meeting in March at the Haliburton Legion. Both events gave the public a chance to voice their opinions about the proposal and ask questions. The municipality also accepted written letters from the public, most of which expressed opposition to the project.

Founded in 1997, Armatec provides military with "holistic survivability solutions for both wheeled and tracked armoured vehicles." The company planned on building the testing facility on a property south of Elephant Lake Road and east of Benoir Lake Road. It would have included an administration centre, two storage facilities, a primary research and testing area and mobility test area for vehicles.

“The process was very interesting," said Karl Pfister, president and CEO of Armatec. "We had considered that site precisely because it allowed for a win-win solution."

Pfister said the facility would have initially brought five well-paying, full-time jobs to the area with an additional 10 jobs available once fully operational.

"It is my opinion that the township has missed an opportunity here as this would have been an economic benefit to the area," said Pfister.

According to the press release, Armatec has been approached by other municipalities interested in having the test site in their community.

Its definitely NIMBYism. I already hear artillery on a daily basis. My camp is 45 minutes from Petawawa so pardon me if I'm not real sympathetic. Our cottage area is mostly hunt camps so your problem will likely land in an area less affluent like ours. Wish we had the political clout of Haliburton.:/

I hope that mutual ground can be found so both sides are happy however the little I have read seems to be that the NIMBYs would rather break than bend. The benefits I see for not only Canadas prosperity and both of our military troops improving the safety of our men is worth its weight in gold. I do know how this feels though being I live 45 minutes from Washington D.C. housing the CIA, FBI,ATF and 6 major military bases. We have test sites on top of test sites here.

Art

if the military, any of the alphabet groups, need a place to test equipment and train, it should be in the middle of nowhere imo. For more then one reason