Towing question

fishnguy

I had a subscription to " Trailer Boat Magazine" for a few years quite some time ago. Art is the first to mention the rear end gear set ratio when towing, I remember the mag had a tow test every month and the tester always made a point that the rear end ratio was as important as the engine specs as to how well a vehicle would pull a load. Often when a vehicle comes from the factory with the tow package it will be a lower ratio rear end in it than the normal vehicle. When a manufacturer lists a towing capacity it is usually for the vehicle with the factory tow package. A 3.72 gearset is a pretty low ratio , bet most on the lot are a lot higher due to fuel comsumption specs, don't assumed your vehicle can tow the max that the manufacturer says unless it is suitably equipped from the factory.

I tow a 89 Ranger loaded with tackle and gear for a week in Canada every year plus lots of 2 hour trips around my area. It is a 13 hour drive if we go straight thru. I am at 5500 to 6000 lbs and I tow with a 4x4 F150 Eco Boost with trailer package and 3.72 gear set. I do not even feel the boat behind me and that is what I am comfortable with. I have been cut off and made evasive actions with this load and controlled it safely without fear of causing further danger to others. Why would you accept anything less than that? I see more people up North towing boats with cars and light vans that couldn't stop if they had to than I do here in the States. The police here can and will pull you over and ticket or tow you if you are overloaded. Carpet installers and landscaping companies are huge offenders most of our tow vehicles are trucks that are rated for the job. I guess the cost of fuel is the big difference but to buy a vehicle that can't do the job you want to save a few bucks in fuel is to put a price tag on others safety.

Art

I think what you mean to say by "taker easy and pick good ramps" is your vehicle is inadequate, right?

I'd rather be over cautious than under prepared especially when you're involving the safety of yourself and others.

Again I ask, why take a chance?

IMO, you're over cautious.

The Sienna will tow that rig no problem, its rated for it, and as long as the driver isn't an idiot, all will be fine.

S.

I have a 2008 Toyota Sienna and have towed my boat with it a couple of times. My boat/trailer set-up weighs about 2k pounds.

I was very unhappy with the van as a tow vehicle. The trans (not super strong in these vans to begin with) had trouble finding gears and seemed to be working too hard. The suspension is quite soft in the van and you could really feel the boat back there. The engine has enough power, but the gearing in the driveline and the trans shift points make it feel like a real dog. The brakes were adequate, but not great.

It would be fine for occasional trips to the local lake, but I won't ever use it for longer trips.

Some minivans tow pretty well .... but the Toyotas are soft and the brakes/trans/suspension are undersized for the vehicle to begin with. If you have another option, use it. If not, just be careful and go slow.

I have a 2008 Toyota Sienna and have towed my boat with it a couple of times. My boat/trailer set-up weighs about 2k pounds.

I was very unhappy with the van as a tow vehicle. The trans (not super strong in these vans to begin with) had trouble finding gears and seemed to be working too hard. The suspension is quite soft in the van and you could really feel the boat back there. The engine has enough power, but the gearing in the driveline and the trans shift points make it feel like a real dog. The brakes were adequate, but not great.

It would be fine for occasional trips to the local lake, but I won't ever use it for longer trips.

Some minivans tow pretty well .... but the Toyotas are soft and the brakes/trans/suspension are undersized for the vehicle to begin with. If you have another option, use it. If not, just be careful and go slow.

Thank you to all for the responses. I'm reconsidering my boat purchase (for now) and looking at getting a pickup and trading in my corolla. Having two big gas guzzlers is not ideal (the wife won't trade in the van), but like people say, you sometimes have to pay to play.

I tow with an 07 Sienna. My boat is a 16 ft. SC. The weight is about 1700 lbs.

Packed with 3 kids , wife and all our camping gear. Have had no issues at all.

The van tows great, the only issue is the clearance of the tow hitch because of the stow and go seating.

I have had one close call at a steep gravel launch. Got it out though

IMO, you're over cautious.

The Sienna will tow that rig no problem, its rated for it, and as long as the driver isn't an idiot, all will be fine.

S.

Yes, I'm sure the Sienna will pull that rig and probably more, but is it safe? No. I've been in trucks that are under powered for what they are towing, even though they are rated for such weight. It's very unsafe and very hard on the vehicle. Sometimes common sense is more reliable than what's in your owners manual.

Thank you to all for the responses. I'm reconsidering my boat purchase (for now) and looking at getting a pickup and trading in my corolla. Having two big gas guzzlers is not ideal (the wife won't trade in the van), but like people say, you sometimes have to pay to play.

Good decision. You won't regret it.

Edited by VXP

Meh... If it's rated for it then it's safe. If it's not rated it's probably not safe. Seems pretty cut and dry to me. We pulled a camper trailer through the Rockies for three weeks with a 98 mercury villager , no issues.

Edited by Freshtrax

Yes, I'm sure the Sienna will pull that rig and probably more, but is it safe? No. I've been in trucks that are under powered for what they are towing, even though they are rated for such weight. It's very unsafe and very hard on the vehicle. Sometimes common sense is more reliable than what's in your owners manual.

Good decision. You won't regret it.

So, explain why YOU think its not safe?

Its perfectly fine. YOU are over cautious. Nothing wrong with that, its your choice, but if I had that boat and van, I wouldn't think twice about towing it, and I would not have a single problem. Common sense goes a long ways if you use it right.

For the last 5 years I've towed a 16ft deep and wide starcraft with 40hp engine, bowmount, 2 30 series deepcycles, gas, gear, 2 kids, and a 100lb lab all over the province with no issues whatsoever. The car is rated to tow 2500lbs. If you can drive, and have a bit of common sense, you will be fine. If your afraid to drive, maybe not.

S.

Get a weight distribution hitch, to get some of the weight off the ball and spread between the van & trailer. Then some form of (surge or electric) brakes on the trailer and your Toyota will pull that boat and carry your family safely anywhere you want to go.

img17002.jpg

Dan.

When I tow with my Sienna, I'm not worried about safety .... I'm worried about poor towing performance and excessive wear on the vehicle. On flat ground, its fine. On hills or windy roads, it performs poorly.

I had a V6 Explorer that actually had LESS horsepower than the Sienna, but it towed MUCH better due to a heavier duty trans, lower gearing, more torque, and a stiffer suspension.

So, explain why YOU think its not safe?

Its perfectly fine. YOU are over cautious. Nothing wrong with that, its your choice, but if I had that boat and van, I wouldn't think twice about towing it, and I would not have a single problem. Common sense goes a long ways if you use it right.

For the last 5 years I've towed a 16ft deep and wide starcraft with 40hp engine, bowmount, 2 30 series deepcycles, gas, gear, 2 kids, and a 100lb lab all over the province with no issues whatsoever. The car is rated to tow 2500lbs. If you can drive, and have a bit of common sense, you will be fine. If your afraid to drive, maybe not.

S.

Once you start towing close to the manufacturers recommended limit, you start to put the vehicle under stress, or as MrSimon mentioned, excessive wear on vehicles (which would fall under a safety concern for me). Plain and simple, it's just not safe in my opinion. I have years of experience towing with different vehicles with different boats and observed friend towing boats with under matched vehicles (not to say they weren't rated for the weight). I see it when they brake, on inclines and declines and when they need to power up. You can tow with whatever makes you feel comfortable, as I do. The OP asked for advice so I gave him mine, and in my opinion, you either pay now or pay later.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one pal.

Once you start towing close to the manufacturers recommended limit, you start to put the vehicle under stress, or as MrSimon mentioned, excessive wear on vehicles (which would fall under a safety concern for me). Plain and simple, it's just not safe in my opinion. I have years of experience towing with different vehicles with different boats and observed friend towing boats with under matched vehicles (not to say they weren't rated for the weight). I see it when they brake, on inclines and declines and when they need to power up. You can tow with whatever makes you feel comfortable, as I do. The OP asked for advice so I gave him mine, and in my opinion, you either pay now or pay later.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one pal.

I will agree, its not the BEST toe vehicle, but it WILL SAFELY tow that rig. Towing anything, with anything, causes excessive wear....to say its unsafe is overly cautious.

S.

i agree with those who say towing close to the max weight, or above, is more about vehicle damage then safety.

before I bought my Yukon I towed a 17' lund pro guide with 50hp 4 stroke, three srm 29 batteries, and everything else that goes in a boat....i'm sure the weight was 1500lbs or more.

i towed it with a 1994 Chevy Lumina V6 with 1000lbs towing capacity.

bought the tranny cooler, bought oversize brake pads and bought cargo springs for the back.

towed for four years without any issues braking or the like. i just towed it very carefully.

but it beat the hell out of my car......lots of brake pads, rotors, etc.

in the end I also blew the tranny and engine......BUT never once did I have a problem with safety.

when towing with the lumina i saved for my truck....

so i guess what i'm saying is, tow with what you have, and save for a real tow vehicle.....

4x4 v8's are the best for towing - absolutely.

but they are not necessary.