Looking Back...

tizfun

Just doing some cleaning of the basement and found this... I got this back in 2001 and never used it... Still new in the box...lol Can't imagine using this for my GPS now, especially with my eyes as I'm getting older..

Did anyone have one like this or similar ?? Do you still use is or have a use for it ??

Tiz

c1f73046-6fbf-4edb-af05-9df0404d5526.jpg

Etrex went to a buddy who would cross James Bay from Moose River to Mississicabi or Harricanaw and go it by compass well offshore to avoid the tidal flats. He liked pinpointing his landing when using that unit for the first time. They were all useful tools in one way or another.

My old etrex was great. It may not have had maps, but was reliable enough to bring you home if the weather took a dump, or in the dark of night and of course for marking allthose awesome fishing or hunting locations. My father in law uses it now for snowmobiling or boating across the lake at the cottage at night. He has pre- programmed a few routes from different locations to get him home safe. I would feel party blind without all the mapping features now. Even my little Dakota 20 is amazing with maps, and the navionics on my bird in the boat is unreal! Still carry a compass everywhere though!!!

I still have my old Garmin e-trex Legend I received back in 2005. I used to use it all the time for Geocaching, however with built-in google maps and GPS in most smartphones these days, it's no longer needed for geocaching. Now ol' blue it makes its way out only when I go camping/canoeing where there is no cell coverage. It is waterproof and quite accurate so I still love it despite it's limited use/functionality!