A quick Newfoundland belated trip report.

frodobuggins

Hey all,
These are from 2 summers ago or so. I hadn't been back home in a decade or more and was looking forward to getting into some of these
40637_462681056487_538841487_6941810_809
Tasty sea insects.
45138_462681201487_538841487_6941822_587

We timed it perfectly for the opening of recreational cod fishing opener
45138_462681196487_538841487_6941821_416
44694_462679826487_538841487_6941740_495
44551_462679946487_538841487_6941749_640
44551_462679951487_538841487_6941750_244

If i had to guess that giant cod was around 75 LBS. I really have no idea. It was the biggest anyone had ever seen, except in photographs from like the 50's or whatever. It was talked about on the cbc radio while we were there by some old timers who thought the fishery was so good that the season should be all summer as evidenced by that giant cod caught up by bay of exploits. It was even in the newspaper. As a reference, the next biggest one which I'm holding is a big fish. Its looks like a minnow in comparison.

Edited by frodo

HUGE fish, musta been quite a tussle getting that big boy into the boat !!

I wish i could say i caught it but it was my mother in law.

It took like 15 minutes and we were convinced it was some massive flat fish because she was struggling so bad.

When it broke the surface we all laughed so hard because it was so unimaginable that this could be real. And it was 5 minutes into the first day of fishing the opener

Wow.....ive seen millions and millions of codfish, but never one that big!!! WOW!!!

Ive seen 50lbers a few times, but good lord, that thing is massive!!

My old man was saying that the fall rec. Fishery this year had the biggest fish he'd seen since he was a kid, and lots of them. I know when I was there 2 summers ago, we'd have one every drop, and sometimes your jig wouldnt hit bottom.

You're right about the limit. 5 per person. Maximum 15 per boat per day. No possesion limit.

The best fish in the world right there!

Thanks for the report!!

S.

Wow.....ive seen millions and millions of codfish, but never one that big!!! WOW!!!

Ive seen 50lbers a few times, but good lord, that thing is massive!!

My old man was saying that the fall rec. Fishery this year had the biggest fish he'd seen since he was a kid, and lots of them. I know when I was there 2 summers ago, we'd have one every drop, and sometimes your jig wouldnt hit bottom.

You're right about the limit. 5 per person. Maximum 15 per boat per day. No possesion limit.

The best fish in the world right there!

Thanks for the report!!

S.

Yeah it was the biggest my dad (who grew up there and lives there) has ever seen. I always thought there was something prehistoric about... It's eyes bigger than a mans etc

The trip reports are my favourite part of this board so I thought I would add something a little different.

Edited by frodo

That's a pretty sweet sized cod your mom in law caught there wow. Looks like you had a feast there to boot which is always nice. I have fond memory's of fishing there as a kid catching Tom cod, flat fish, trout and the odd eel. Where abouts were the pics taken? My mother is from Carbonear and dads from the opposite side. St.Georges area.

That's a pretty sweet sized cod your mom in law caught there wow. Looks like you had a feast there to boot which is always nice. I have fond memory's of fishing there as a kid catching Tom cod, flat fish, trout and the odd eel. Where abouts were the pics taken? My mother is from Carbonear and dads from the opposite side. St.Georges area.

Some pretty good atlantic fishing on the island, but same as any river fishing, timing is everything. When I was home 2 summers ago, it was pretty much a drought, and the salmon were stale, and real hard to catch, so I didnt waste my time. Id rather fish the saltwater anyways. Sounds like you and I were there at the same time frodo. I was there for the rec fishery in 2012. Beautiful weather the whole time, and tons of fish!

S.

Thats a heck of a codfish. One of our suppliers built a house the and he just flies baxk and forth....now I know why he loves being back.

Those are some tasty sea treats :). Must be nice to harvest those mussels in the morning and cook them for cook them for lunch. The codfish are tasty too...yum

Thanks for sharing.