Off season gear preparation

Can_38

Hey all. I'm not a frequent poster but here goes.

Been going on an annual fellas walleye fishing event for 8 years now. 2 cabins 8 guys, 4 days and each and every year my passion for fishing grows. Still very much a rookie with lots to learn on technique and gear.

Soooo, in attempt to be the 2014 annual weekend winner I'm looking to upgrade my gear and would like to leverage all of your opinion. Although the goal is Wally's I land more pike then any other species, last year I hooked two alligators that I fought to the boat but couldn't net before they snapped my line.

We typically troll worm harnesses but I'm here asking for other possible techniques? Location is always either Temagami or just inside the Quebec border, first or second weekend in June. My current setup is very basic with a 6.6 cherrywood and shimano Sierra 2500.

Rest of the season I take my new to me 13' whaler to scugog with my 6 year old son.

I realize these are vague and loaded questions so do your best or ask me return questions.

You might consider trolling minnow baits off a 3-way swivel. One eye of the swivel attaches to your mainline, the next to a light line dropper to which you attach a weight , and the third eye attaches to your leader connected to your lure. You can vary the length of your dropper to adjust how close to bottom you want to be and you can add a steel leader to your other leader if you are worried about pike biting through your leader. Trolling a swim bait is another option.

How about a gear upgrade and or line / leader setup?

St.Croix do some nice rods for $300 :w00t:

If you try jigging, use a braid mainline (10lb is more than enough) with a fluorocarbon leader (18" to 36") attached either with a uniknot or similar or a micro swivel. I mainly use $30 Walmart combos (Mitchell) but have a combo that cost about $80 that is my premium set up….lol. I drool over some of the gear out there, but do pretty well as is and break way to many rods to risk a high end ST. Croix.

If you're getting snapped off you're either A) not using a proper leader or B) you've got your drag cranked down way too much. Also for pike, I never net those, a quick handle behind the gill plate and lift them into the boat. I've noticed that using a net just makes them go insane. Even with big fish (40+ inches) this is my go to method of getting them into the boat.

Good points bill ans limey. Also i see alot of less experienced anlgers lift fish near the boat, ot too much pressure. These two things result in breaks almost every time. When i fish gators im using a cheap set up too but it does the job. 6"7 or 6"9 shimano rod from walmart lol, and 15-20 braid, either suffix 832 or powerpro. I dont use leaders for pike fishing at all, its not needed IMO

You CAN spend lots or not spend lots and still have a good combo.

Do you just have the one combo and tie on different lures all the time?

I would use what you have and get 1 or 2 more price saving combo's. This way you have a worm harness rod ready to go, a jig combo ready and a crank bait rod all ready at the same time.

Have 3 combos in the boat. 1 with a jig and minnow or crawler or leech spooled with 8lb mono. 1 spooled with 20lb braid to pull a harness. Finally, 1 with some sort of jerkbait or crankbait spooled with 20lb braid again. They do not have to cost a fortune. Have decent reels with half decent rods. I would spend more on the reels, they last a very very long time with a bit of maintenance. Rods break, so do not go too crazy unless you can afford it. Lastly, enjoy your time on the water.

If you're getting snapped off you're either A) not using a proper leader or B) you've got your drag cranked down way too much. Also for pike, I never net those, a quick handle behind the gill plate and lift them into the boat. I've noticed that using a net just makes them go insane. Even with big fish (40+ inches) this is my go to method of getting them into the boat.

Leader must be the answer. Controlling drag was one lesson I learnt as a young fella.

You CAN spend lots or not spend lots and still have a good combo.

Do you just have the one combo and tie on different lures all the time?

I would use what you have and get 1 or 2 more price saving combo's. This way you have a worm harness rod ready to go, a jig combo ready and a crank bait rod all ready at the same time.

I do only have one combo, so this is what I need to change. Perhaps a similar or slightly more of an upgraded 2nd combo is the ticket.

Leader must be the answer. Controlling drag was one lesson I learnt as a young fella.

lol, leader isnt the answer. But it can make things easier if your not experienced in fighting fish. 15-20 lb braid you should have zero reason to lose a fish.but an 80lb leader should allow you to remove cement blocks from the depths below haha Edited by manitoubass2

Have 3 combos in the boat. 1 with a jig and minnow or crawler or leech spooled with 8lb mono. 1 spooled with 20lb braid to pull a harness. Finally, 1 with some sort of jerkbait or crankbait spooled with 20lb braid again. They do not have to cost a fortune. Have decent reels with half decent rods. I would spend more on the reels, they last a very very long time with a bit of maintenance. Rods break, so do not go too crazy unless you can afford it. Lastly, enjoy your time on the water.

Thx bigbuck ! Advice greatly appreciated.

I do only have one combo, so this is what I need to change. Perhaps a similar or slightly more of an upgraded 2nd combo is the ticket.

I would get two more with different actions. I like 7' rod's cause with a decent reel and good line I can cast a mile.

Also Shimano has the Sellus line of rods now that don't cost too much. I got my Ex one and it's a decent combo. They also make a rod to go against the Ugly Stick, the Voltius (SP?) line and I really like it for using a senko type of bait.

And seeing you are in the Whitby area Shimano's depot isn't to far from you.

Agree with others, get yourself one or two combos for walleye and a combo for pike. For jiggin' or pulling harnesses you don't have to break the bank on a walleye stick. Good old Berkeley Lightning rod rated up to 10lb test and about 6 1/2 feet in length would be good. Shimano sticks Clarus or Compre for a little more money and quality. Spool up with 10lb braid and if you have a spare spool keep 8 or 10lb mono on that. If you like spinning rods for pike too, beef up to a med/heavy rod rated up to 15/17lb test. Used St.Croix, Shimano, Fenwick, Loomis and a few others for pike over the years, so many options at different prices. Spool up with 30lb braid on a 3000 series reel and don't forget a steel or titanium leader at the business end.

Agree with Bill on netting. Haven't netted a pike in ten years because of just what he says. Learn to handle them right and well and you'll do less damage.