Snow blower electric start not working.

livinisfishin

Maybe the gear that shoots out to engage the flywheel is stuck. Or your teeth are chewed off the starter. I had that happen to me yesterday, tried to start it and the starter either didn't engage properly or it was stuck, chewed all the teeth off the starter wheel, I took it off and went to the local supply place and picked up a new sprocket, took me about 20min to change. I greased the drive and put it back on, works perfect.

Edited by muskymatt

Could just be that the bendix is stuck and it isn't throwing it out to the flywheel. There should be a plastic cover over it, remove the cover and try to move the bendix out to the flywheel (you'll have to turn it by hand DO NOT TRY TO DO THIS WITH THE MACHINE RUNNING OR WHILE TRYING TO START IT). While you are at it, check the teeth on the bendix If they are chewed up then you need a new bendix. Check that and let me know.

Starter is pooched ! Try lightly hitting the side of the starter with a small hammer (not too hard) This has worked for me before . The gear that shoots out and engages with the flywheel is probably stuck and hitting the side of the starter can loosen it up . Or take apart and give the gear a little shot of WD to loosen it up !

Maybe the gear that shoots out to engage the flywheel is stuck. Or your teeth are chewed off the starter. I had that happen to me yesterday, tried to start it and the starter either didn't engage properly or it was stuck, chewed all the teeth off the starter wheel, I took it off and went to the local supply place and picked up a new sprocket, took me about 20min to change. I greased the drive and put it back on, works perfect.

Grease is not a good thing to do, it will freeze in cold weather. They are desigined to be run with them dry or you could put a bit of graphite on it but it's better dry. Before you ruin another bendix, remove it and get rid of the grease.

Edited by Big Cliff

Grease is not a good thing to do, it will freeze in cold weather. They are desigined to be run with them dry or you could put a bit of graphite on it but it's better dry. Before you ruin another bendix, remove it and get rid of the grease.

Sorry, grease was the wrong word, thanks for the correction! I actually just finger rubbed some 5 w 30 on it. The guys at the shop recommended that.

Sorry, grease was the wrong word, thanks for the correction! I actually just finger rubbed some 5 w 30 on it. The guys at the shop recommended that.

5W-30 isn't too bad. I do prefer a bit of graphite if I use anything but you should be ok with the 5W-30. Anything that gets stickey when it is really cold will just make it harder for the bendix to throw out and return and since most snow blowers sit in the cold until needed..... I often see blowers come in that someone has serviced themselves and they have greased the gears and slider under the blower then they can't shift it when it gets cold LOL.

5W-30 isn't too bad. I do prefer a bit of graphite if I use anything but you should be ok with the 5W-30. Anything that gets stickey when it is really cold will just make it harder for the bendix to throw out and return and since most snow blowers sit in the cold until needed..... I often see blowers come in that someone has serviced themselves and they have greased the gears and slider under the blower then they can't shift it when it gets cold LOL.

Makes total sense for sure!

How come they never break in the summer. My pull cord went yesterday. Got it fixed started up all good.

Went out and did it again and the cord comes off LOL.

They will see me at 7 am tomorrow.

I'm taking the carb to get checked too, it's about time :)

bad luck I bet, had it running the first week in Nov. as usual and all was well,