Planer board mast

Rizzo

After some success with in-line planer boards for musky fishing I decided to pick up a mast system (thanks kijiji!) because in rough conditions the smaller boards would dive....man what a headache that is! The mast has maybe a 6 by 6 plate that it sits on, and has a 6x6 backing plate to secure it underneath (if that makes any sense). I'm hearing the furthest front is the best place to mount (my boat is 16.5 feet). So I'm thinking to mount it right up by the trolling motor at the front of the boat. It looks like that is plywood up there under the carpet. Is that gonna be the best spot and able to hold on to 2 Riviera boards with a few musky baits in tow? Or one day will the front of my boat, trolling motor and mast come flying back and smash my windshield? It seems like an ideal spot because the base won't get in the way on the days that I'm not using the mast. If that area isn't secure enough I am open to suggestions.

Nice Wayne! Although my set up is far more ghetto...the mast itself was homemade by some guy. And here's the real ghetto part...I'm not crazy about shelling out $10-$12 a piece for each clip so I'm gonna try and make some from keychain rings and rubber bands. I rigged one up last night and to me, it seems like it will work. I am a bit compulsive about checking my lines,and with the floating weeds on st clair I will be doing it regularly...that means the need for like 20 clips! Gonna try my "jerry-rigged" version first. Rather buy a few hundred rubber bands for a dollar than 20 clips for $200 plus.

As with anything Wayne does this one is well thought of and executed.

My setup for the mast is similar. Cant find the pictures now but can make some and post them if you need them. Same location but I rarely use my trolling motor so I've drilled and threaded 4 holes into the trolling motor base plate and screwed it that way. Like it as I didn't like drilling extra holes into that triangle piece of plywood. I've see those quick retrieve cords on another friend's boat last season, so I'll be adding them to mine. Same ones OI use for my riggers retrieval. Make is much easier instead of climbing on the bow every time you need to use the boards.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

x 4 on the steel shower curtain rings.

I like to use plastic clothes pins with a rubber band as a rubber band alone often breaks and falls off when a fish hits or you pop the release resulting in a "rubber worm" floating in the water for fish to eat that they won't be able to pass. I attach the rubber band to the clothes pin, loop it over the line, and put the end into the clothes pin jaws. When done this way the rubber band will release from the clothes pin but still stay attached to the clothes pin instead of floating off.

The rubber band is important as it indicates when weeds or a small fish are on the line as it stretches back.

Visit Staples to buy bulk rubber bands in different sizes and keep them out of the sun in a sealed bag to prevent drying out.

as for clips which you will end up buying,check the scottys.

...haha I like that. Since I don't have time to buy them before Saturday, it will be keychain rings and rubberbands. why does anyone think the keychain rings aren't as good as shower rings....just had a thought...the shower ones can clip onto the line much easier. I would think the shower ones are kind of flimsy though. Having never used or even seen a system in use, trying to figure it all out ahead. Those rings are gonna be a pain to "clip" onto the line now that I think and type at the same time. Sounds like a trip to Home Depot or Cdn. Tire is in order for some shower rings. Wife wouldn't be too impressed if she's showering with no curtain...although the neighbours might be.

I started with shower Rings but after losing too many release clips.

Then I bought some of the metal fish stringers and use the clips from it that worked great but was troublesome putting on the line in rough water.

I then bought carabiners from the dollar store You can get a pack of two for a dollar and it's much easier to put on your planer board line when you're in rough water you will not lose any clips this week either.

I have each release clip on 8 to 10 inches a wire hooked to the carabiner this way you have some shock absorption for fishing boards in bigger waves and will not get as many false releases.

...haha I like that. Since I don't have time to buy them before Saturday, it will be keychain rings and rubberbands. why does anyone think the keychain rings aren't as good as shower rings....just had a thought...the shower ones can clip onto the line much easier. I would think the shower ones are kind of flimsy though. Having never used or even seen a system in use, trying to figure it all out ahead. Those rings are gonna be a pain to "clip" onto the line now that I think and type at the same time. Sounds like a trip to Home Depot or Cdn. Tire is in order for some shower rings. Wife wouldn't be too impressed if she's showering with no curtain...although the neighbours might be.

Key rings will be a huge pain to attach to the line in the boat and will likely damage the planer board line. They are plenty strong enough for the job and on 12+ outings I haven't lost a single one towing everything from Rapala's run clean to the big dipsey divers pulling a flashers and dodgers with spoons for salmon.

This is what you're looking for:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Metal-Shower-Curtain-Rings/16783397

Using clothes pins and rubber bands allows you to adjust how much pressure is required to release the line without switching to lighter or heavier releases. I have zero issues running small baits behind the boards for silver bass and smallies at Long Point to pulling the big dipseys for walleye and salmon.