David Suzuki's Fukushima warning

mercman

I don't care what Suzuki or his detractors say, fact is, small, and sometimes insignificant spills/environmental incidents can be VERY expensive. I can not imagine how many resources it would take to properly clean up the fukushima plant issues. In fact, I'll bet that it never gets cleaned up properly and that it will cause serious economic and environmental problem for many countries for many years. It'll take A LOT of policital pressure and probably the threat of war or trade bans to actually see this get attempted to get fixed, versus 'seeing what will happen', which is exactly what will happen.

Actually they are starting now to remove the spent fuel at the top of Unit 4 ...it going to be alot more exciting and scary to watch this unfold than talking about Rob Ford...they predict 35 years to clean it up....i cant see it since Units 1 2 and 3 are burning into the ground and reacting to the ground water now....huge crevices appearing miles away from the site with steam blowing out the cracks in the ground....its problematic for sure....One report had it at 1 million REM an hour being sent into the air ...Doesnt it make you wonder why the heck they would want to bury nuclear waste beside Lake Huron? Blows my mind :wallbash:

I really don't care who is reporting on this story. The videos and pictures show the severity of the situation. The Japanese politicians and security teams waited too long to ask for help, and now its completely out of control. Nuclear fallout from this disaster can travel around the word by water and air, and bite us all in the ass. It is probably affecting all of us to some extent, even as we debate it here. Hats off at least to the labourers, who know that they will all die from exposure to radiation, as they work to save this planet.

We're our own worst enemy...true

Fukushima is a very serious issue...true

Suzuki is someone we should listen too and can be trusted...false

Suzuki is a scammer, charlatan, flat out liar, and should be the last person "educating" us about environmental issues and global warming. For anyone who disagrees with this I welcome you to spend 10 minutes on Google to enlighten yourselves.

I believe we're all aware of environmental issues. The problem is some people support the wrong guy and take everything he says as gospel as they can't see through the smoke and mirrors....

Actually they are starting now to remove the spent fuel at the top of Unit 4 ...it going to be alot more exciting and scary to watch this unfold than talking about Rob Ford...they predict 35 years to clean it up....i cant see it since Units 1 2 and 3 are burning into the ground and reacting to the ground water now....huge crevices appearing miles away from the site with steam blowing out the cracks in the ground....its problematic for sure....One report had it at 1 million REM an hour being sent into the air ...Doesnt it make you wonder why the heck they would want to bury nuclear waste beside Lake Huron? Blows my mind :wallbash:

Your mind seems easily blown, it will be amusing in a few years when nothing has really happened, but i doubt you will take notice, surely there must be some factual youtube videos where you can get some more 'truth' from. O, and yes, suzuki has been proven a fraud many times, of course conspiracy theory leftists like yourself, people who think themselves intelligent but aren't smart enough to know better, believe in him, that's what makes him successful.

http://www.vice.com/read/these-nuclear-physicists-think-david-suzuki-is-exaggerating-about-fukushima

“It's bye-bye Japan—and everybody on the west coast of North America should evacuate.” - Suzuki

“I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. It's totally impossible! I can't believe he would say that. When he's in his own field, he's usually reasonable. But this is just crazy.”

David Measday, nuclear and particle physicist (University of British Columbia)

Edited by blarg

David Measday, nuclear and particle physicist (University of British Columbia)

“People are really exaggerating this. I mean, over 20,000 people were killed in the tsunami. As far as we know, no one was killed by radiation.”

"as far as we know" self admittance to inconclusive research..its obvious they haven't done their homework.

Marcello Pavan

“As scientists talking around the lunchroom, we are more or less of a unanimous opinion that the hysteria around Fukushima is grossly overblown [...] With the supersensitive detectors we have at our disposal, [radiation] levels are way below anything that anybody has to worry about. We're subjected to background radiation from the moment we're born. I mean, every banana you've ever eaten has radioactive potassium in it.”

If there are no bananas in their lunchroom then the only threat they would have is the microwave oven (providing it was turned on with a improperly fitting door) The "banana "statement comes from the nuclear industry for acceptance to radiation levels for the masses...it has worked over the years...

Marcello Pavan

“That is absolutely correct, at least from what I see. TEPCO has been minimizing the effects of what is happening. But here we have a large industrial concern lying to the government about an accident related to its business—is that news?”

When the health and welfare of people are at risk then yes...this is news...BIG NEWS!!

David Measday

“It's very difficult to find exact information, because of course they don't tell you everything. I've talked to a few Japanese physicists, but they don't know either. But now they have no reason to lie about the amount of radiation there is [...] The critical thing is, what is the level and how bad is it for humans?”

Self admittance to inconclusive research again..last i checked there are still flights going to Japan and your allowed to take those "super sensitive machines" on them...but hey save the money on airfare and talk to "scientists" that cant answer questions and draw your conclusions from them...tsk tsk

3. “...if there's another earthquake of 7 or above, that building will go and all hell breaks loose.” - Suzuki

David Measday

“Chernobyl actually exploded half the reactor into the atmosphere. That's as bad as you can get. At Fukushima, there was nowhere near that level [...] I don't deny there could be a small chance that things could go wrong. An earthquake or tsunami would probably be the worst, but if it's of that magnitude the radiation would be a much lesser concern.”

Look up FACTS about Chernobyl and see/read the glorious things it has done to society..you wont find many happy things but your guaranteed to find devastating things that continue to this day from its meltdown. The mutated children that died at birth seems to be the best blessing available for those affected. A Tsunami will last (generously) two weeks as an event and the healing and rebuilding will move forward. You can apply the same timeframe to an Earthquake. Chernobyl happened in 1986 and "the official Soviet casualty count of 31 deaths has been disputed,and long term effects such as cancers and deformities are still being accounted for." To assume that a tsunami or earthquake is likely to be worse shows (to me) that David Measday has a vested interest in Nuclear power of some sort (paid propaganda ?) You would be naive to think otherwise.

David Measday

6. “It's bye-bye Japan—and everybody on the west coast of North America should evacuate.” - Suzuki

“The Japanese were very careful, they built all their reactors to very high levels. I don't think it would breach... They probably have done as well as you possibly could with their existing reactors. What they failed to do was to estimate the size of the [2011] tsunami. But if there were another tsunami, they still haven't totally prepared for it. They could be in trouble again.”

NEWSFLASH!!!! you didnt think!!!! And according to HEADLINES around the world...the Japanese were not careful enough...lets start by saying ....lets build a nuclear reactor on a fault line and see what happens...same as ...lets bury nuclear waste beside 40 million peoples drinking water and see what happens over the next 1000 years...

David Measday

“I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. It's totally impossible! I can't believe he would say that. When he's in his own field, he's usually reasonable. But this is just crazy.”

This statement comes from a guy that thinks the Japanese have been "very careful" I think thats ridiculous considering the state of Japan today and for many years to come.

Marcello Pavan

“It doesn't in any remote sense seem plausible. It's contaminated material, yes, but certainly not on a scale that would devastate Japan, nor travel all way across the Pacific and cause an evacuation."

Given the proven facts that the solution to pollution is not dilution migrating sea life that is consumed by us westerners have and continue to do so there is more than a remote possibility as this is a prescience and the conclusions will not be determined for many years to come

Your mind seems easily blown, it will be amusing in a few years when nothing has really happened, but i doubt you will take notice, surely there must be some factual youtube videos where you can get some more 'truth' from. O, and yes, suzuki has been proven a fraud many times, of course conspiracy theory leftists like yourself, people who think themselves intelligent but aren't smart enough to know better, believe in him, that's what makes him successful.

Its been almost 18 years since Chernobyl and i still notice, so its highly likely i will continue to notice this disaster till the day i dont possess my faculties anymore. The word ."Amusing" is a word you are clearly distorted about. This is not a conspiracy theory its reality...your denial is better suited for the word "amusing" and you are incorrect assuming im a lefty or a righty ...i sit right in the middle on any given subject but not the stupidity that puts lives at risk for self serving purposes when there are other safer solutions that are proven.

The scientist making the comments in your article you posted from Vice are proud pro nuclear.

Why not give them a call and see if they will go to Japan and help with the clean up efforts? and bring their "super sensitive devices" with them to get some real facts now that Japan's Government is screaming for world help.

Given the FACT that Chernobyl was a class 7 nuclear disaster and Fuk had 6 reactors 4x7 equates to a class 28 disaster..but hey...what could there possibly be to worry about...your scientists say so

Edited by Twocoda

O.and as far as my mind being blown easily...apparently the masses are being blown too as more and more cities in Ontario and Michigan are becoming aware to try and stop the DGR in Kincardine...they all have a vested interest in it though (so they are bias)....they drink the water from Lake Huron...the news comes from social media ...because mainstream keeps it on the down low ...