Seafoam or Stabill ??

tizfun

Hey all, was just at Canadian Tire picking up some Stabill when I noticed a can of Seafoam right above it... I've used Stabill in my tank every time but have never used Seafoam.. I've heard so much about Seafoam but never saw any to buy... I read what's on the can and how it cleans and does a whole lot more than just stabilize your gas... prices were comparable too..

So I bought neither and came on here to ask which is better ? I trust the people on here as you're helped me on oh so many questions I've had...

Thanks in advance....

Tizz

Sta bil marine is what I use in all of my engines to stabilize. The seafoam is what I use to clean the fuel systems. Seafoam does also stabilize but I haven't had a reason to try it for that aspect. A combination of both has keep my engine (20 plus) running without issues.

Art

I use both all the time !!!! I have run seafoam for years In all my outboards in my sleds and snowblower everything !!!! And I also use the stabil too for when I have to put something away for storage !!!! Never had any issues with any bad gas or water in my fuel or anything !!! Get both and you are good to go

The blue works better in wet environments like you store the boat on the water. It also uses less of the product to protect but it evens out as being more expensive. Red will work fine in 99 % of the applications.

Art

I've used both stabil and seafoam as a stabilizer and haven't noticed a difference as to what is better. But then again there's been more winters where I haven't added anything and haven't had a problem. And my off season is 8 months long. Bottom line for me is that I think that the fuel going bad issue is blown way out of proportion. I've used 8 month old non treated gas for decades without an issue. If I think of it, I'll throw some in. If not, no big deal.

Storage through the winter isn't as bad Dan. The heat seems to be the worst on the fuel. Most likely due to evaporation.
It's possible you may be getting better fuel up your way too.
There is most certainly fuel issues and it's a real good idea to use a fuel stabilizer.

Every year we get at least a dozen blown engines due to a lean mixture caused by a film of green deposits on the main jets.
It allows the engine to run like a banshee....for about 10 minutes. then POOF, burned piston.

I think he is talking about the crappy corn juice laced gas Dan.

Us Northerners tend to get either a lot less or no ethanol added fuels depending on where you are.

Up here North of 60 there is zero corn gas available due to the temperature issues we experience in the winter.

Ethanol's tendency to absorb water would have every vehicle up here frozen for 8 months.

I expect it is the same in T-Bay. ;)

Dan the green crud closes down the passages in the jets so the engine runs lean. The 2 stroke engines need the mixture to be correct for the oiling of the pistons. The 4 strokes running lean will cause the temperature to go way up. Think of it as an oxy-acetylene torch the higher the o2 is within the range of combustion the bluer or hotter the gases are burning. The fuel as it atomizes in the top end not only burns and explodes it also has a cooling effect. You are correct the longer the gas is stored the more deterioration or chemical changes it goes thru.

Art

Just today I went to Don Hyde in Hagersville to get my Seafoam and Stabil. I've always used a bottle of the Stabil to a full tank for the winter but Mr. Hyde told me to get the 2+4 rather then the Stabil. I've always used 2+4 during the season and Stabil Marine for winter storage.

Any comments folks?

Also can you over stabilize if there is such a thing? I know the Stabil runs the exhaust blue for a few seconds on the first cold start in the spring.

This is such a sad part of the year for me, boat stored and golf clubs put away, UNTIL I HIT FLORIDA AT THE END OF NOVEMBER,WHOHA. For a few weeks at least.

Thanks

John D