Fished Lake Scugog today..

mikeymikey

Hello.

Went to Lake Scugog to Goresky.

We rented a boat and started fishing just out side and around the marina and not a single walleye.

But we did end up catching few huge jumbo perch. and the weather got little too windy around mid afternoon and decided to call it that.

So, if someone here could help me out...

How,where can I catch my first ever walleye from Lake Scugog? Renting a boat and only catching perch sucks!

Some hints/tips would be appreciated. (oh we used worm and minnows)

Next time, head over to the nonquon river. Its pretty much straight across from goreski's. GCD is right tho.....the rental places are closed for the prime eye bite.

I've caught lots of eyes on the west side of the lake, across from goreski's, drifting the flats, casting small spinnerbaits. White or chartreuse, with double colorado blades. A worm harness drifted over the same area's will work well too. It needs to warm up a bit before the flats get good tho I think......

Sinker

Next time, head over to the nonquon river. Its pretty much straight across from goreski's. GCD is right tho.....the rental places are closed for the prime eye bite.

I've caught lots of eyes on the west side of the lake, across from goreski's, drifting the flats, casting small spinnerbaits. White or chartreuse, with double colorado blades. A worm harness drifted over the same area's will work well too. It needs to warm up a bit before the flats get good tho I think......

Sinker

Warm Up !!! :unsure: The surface water was 19 deg C last weekend, that might start to send them deep.

Warm Up !!! :unsure: The surface water was 19 deg C last weekend, that might start to send them deep.

19 deg C is 66F.

If you found water that warm, you should have been catching. Where I was, it was tough to find water that was 60F. Most of the day it was below that. You need warm water to promote the weed growth........that's where the eyes are gonna be. I didnt' see any new weeds, and I fished all day non stop looking for some.

Sinker

Well,,, weeds where everywhere already. Some parts on west side already had weeds to top of the water.

While slowly moving along west side of shallow weedy water, I did see some what looked like a musky just sitting there and few bass swimming around.

and I did fish around buoy, which is where I caught all my jumbo perch.

Sinker

Isn't that a Scugog River?

I've rented a boat a few times out of Port Perry and never caught a fish from it....LOL. The only thing we seem to catch are panfish...and my 5 yr old rules our family in that regard...

Hope you have better luck next time!

hmm ...

just like most of fish.

btw... people say look for fresh weeds. but like i said before... lake is already full of weeds... does that mean fish anywhere? i am guessing not?

sure buoy is good spot , i guess? but why is it a good spot?

Obviously good because a lot of boats are surrounding that area.

It's good because there are weeds right there but there is also a transion point there. Just to the West of the bouy there is a deeper hole. So, you have shallow water and weeds then deeper water and no weeds. It's hard to find better conditions than that for walleye. The weeds you are seeing are last years weeds, you need to find some new growth, this years weeds, They aren't up very high yet, the water has been too cold.