Recommendation for ice flasher

Bluegill

While on the topic, anybody know if i can set up my HB 898Hd si/di to work with an ice ducer? Its a new unit for me and im not very familiar with the new technology compatibilities. I wouldnt mind having a second unit to try as i've never used a graph to ice fish.

That's not a very portable unit (I've got the same one) I don't think it would be very good out on the ice. That 747c you see in my pic does double duty for me. In the boat it's attached to the US2 on my Terrova on the bow, in the winter it goes into the portable pack for me to use on the ice. You can pick up that unit pretty cheap.

Edited by BillM

Ya its not very portable thats for sure, i have been looking for a similar unit you have and havent come across anything yet. I was just looking for a cheap way to get a second unit to use on ice, but wouldnt be very cheap if the 898 was to get damaged... Im just going to keep my eyes peeled for a cheap unit for spare!

Buddy of mine bought me an X67 in 2009 as a gift. Haven't had any reason to change from that. I'll flip back and forth between graph and flasher depending on mood. It's lightweight... smaller. Half the price of a Vex or Marcum. Has never frozen up. Runs sometimes 2-3 days on a full charge. Only thing I sometimes find is at the end of a long days fishing, that that little screen makes me bug-eyed.

I do like the flasher units and would consider them, but if price is an issue and they're still making the X67 for under $300, they're good units.

I had an x67c for years and loved it. Did everything I needed in a fish finder. I decided to upgrade so I picked up a Marcum LX7. WOW! Sick piece of machinery! Now it's staring at me until the ice hits! IMO, you definitely need a graph in order to see the "history" of the fish....especially in deep water. (ie Lake Simcoe lakers) The LX7 and x67 both have flasher modes which are as close to real time as the human eye can tell. Better to have several choices/options in a fish finder then just one.

This will be one those items debated for a long time

I've used them all right back to my first experience lake trout fishing in temagami with the lowrance little green box

they both have benefits but the old stereo types about flashers are the only "real time" fish finder is a load of bull now.

For me it's a fish finder all the way. I use a HB 798 color and with the higher powered colored units you can switch between sonar screen and an exact flasher output screen but still have GPS, multi zoom. And yes have used my HB and then switched over to a HB 45 a few yards away. Pretty much the same response.

Not to mention loading high res navionic maps and using them to get onto new spots

Heck I can even record my sonar screen for fancy OFC reports but as yet I haven't figured that out.

My ice fishing partner and I went from a finder to a Humminbird ICE 55 flasher last year. It was almost immediately noticable we were hooking up with more fish. Anyone who says movable zoom is overrated obviously hasn't saved a day of fishing by using it on light biting suspending walleye on Quinte.