Breaking the Wall of Silence

moxie

After weeks of juggling six day work weeks along with everything else I finally found some time to get out and chase some fish. Saturday was all but a bust due to the rain and only managed about 45 minutes on the water with nothing to show for it.

Wake up Sunday morning with the intention of catching up on the fall clean up, my boy asks if I'm planning on hitting the water and after a little push I let him talk me into heading out.

Hook up the tin and make the 5 minute trek to the local harbour. With light winds, clear skies and the sun beaming we were the only boat on the water so it was almost perfect, except for the front that made its way in the night before.

The first hour was spent tossing a dropshot, cranks and jigs and even a few spoons looking for Smallies and/or Salmon which looked promising given the third cast of the dropshot managed to lift a Sammy that shook the hook. Fished up one side of the outer break wall to the pier head and back down the inner wall with nothing willing to accept our offerings.

Shoot across once again to where the Sammy hit and found some sparse weed growth on a flat off the outer break wall when my sons' rod doubled over. After a short fight a Pike appeared, was netted and released. For the next hour we tangled with a wolf pack that saw 6 Pike caught, 3 spit hooks, one break-off and more than a few follows. No Smallies or Salmon netted on this day but an unexpected and welcomed surprise as the Break Wall spoke and we listened to every word.

Thanks for your persistence son. Perfect day after all.

First in the Wolf Pack to surrender

IMG_2939.jpg

Weighed in at 14.54 lbs

IMG_2942.jpg

lbs? Your guess is as good as mine.

IMG_2946.jpg

Edited by moxie

Nicely done! That last pike must be around 40 inches or so.

Funny how maybe some of best pike fishing in Ontario is around Lake Ontario in GTA.

Back about 15-20 yrs. ago entered Canadian Sportfishing magazine contest.

Won Pike Angler of year, for all of Canada, couple of years just by entering bunch of 40 inch pike caught around Toronto harbourfront. lol

Great fish! Thanks for posting.