Maybe adding a front mount trolling motor

davey buoy

Keep in mind that you will need 2 batteries and you will really want an on-board charger to charge them up.

I have this 3 bank model from CT that is made by a highly respected manufacturer (Schumacher electric) and has a 5 year warranty.

This is the Schumacher version

http://www.batterychargers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=94026916

And if you feel like checking out the manual

http://www.batterychargers.com/Documents/0099000777-01.pdf

And this is the rebranded Nautlius version @ CT

FYI: wait for them to come on sale as they usually do a couple of times a year.

Sale price is usually in the $125 range. ;)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/Batteries/BatteryChargers/PRDOVR~0111521P/MotoMaster+Nautilus+15A+Onboard+Battery+Charger.jsp?locale=en

24 volts?,It will not be able to work with my 3 position switch,meaning as you say seperate,plug in charger I guess.Looks like I may have 4 batteries in the boat now.What am I getting into ?lol.I always have two 12 volt batteries for my startup.Just incase .

Edited by davey buoy

I always have two 12 volt batteries for my startup.Just incase .

You could do away with the 12 volt backup battery davey and use one of the deep cycles for an emergency start if needed. Just carry a set of jumper cables in the boat and your all set.

BOAT, bring out another thousand (or more).

I was at the Sail store in Burlington today and looked at a few with you in mind. I love spending someone else's money. I priced the 80 pound thrust Minncotta 60 inch shaft with I Pilot, wireless, for you and it came out to around $1700.00. The receptacle, usually mounted against the hull interior should be installed where water entering won't be an issue, it should be mounted at 90 degrees. $300.00 for 2 good batteries. He said we, I mean you, will need an on board charger as the batteries will most likely be housed under the bow and difficult to access. It may not be a do it yourself mounting as there most likely isn't a flat spot on the bow and it needs to be on level as to deploy straight down, so mounting may be tricky.

You asked is it worth it? That's up to you now. If it isn't a must have I wouldn't unless a bowrider, then to spend that much bread it would have to be a must for me. It looks like a nice boat, what percentage of the retail price of the entire boat would this accessory be?

For that much money I would hire a student to row the boat for the summer, a bit to the right son, yes that's good, no a bit more, left, go left now.

BOAT, bring out another thousand (or more).

I was at the Sail store in Burlington today and looked at a few with you in mind. I love spending someone else's money. I priced the 80 pound thrust Minncotta 60 inch shaft with I Pilot, wireless, for you and it came out to around $1700.00. The receptacle, usually mounted against the hull interior should be installed where water entering won't be an issue, it should be mounted at 90 degrees. $300.00 for 2 good batteries. He said we, I mean you, will need an on board charger as the batteries will most likely be housed under the bow and difficult to access. It may not be a do it yourself mounting as there most likely isn't a flat spot on the bow and it needs to be on level as to deploy straight down, so mounting may be tricky.

You asked is it worth it? That's up to you now. If it isn't a must have I wouldn't unless a bowrider, then to spend that much bread it would have to be a must for me. It looks like a nice boat, what percentage of the retail price of the entire boat would this accessory be?

For that much money I would hire a student to row the boat for the summer, a bit to the right son, yes that's good, no a bit more, left, go left now.

Thank you sir for thinking of me,really appreciate it. The boat I bought 6 years ago for a song,the trolling motor will be 90%the cost of the boat.The boat has run really well for the last 5 years.Had some issues when I bought it. Couldn't ask for a more stable and deep sided boat for the price IMO.I plan on keeping it for years to come. You now have me well over $2000.00 lol.I'm thinking used will have to be a option as I only use it for fun,but use it at least 20 weekends a year. Getting excited about my options for sure .Over $2000.00,ah,not so much.lol.Thanks for the info!.

I think that price was high. We'll keep an eye out for a used unit for you. By the time you get to my age you know a few people.

What exactly would you want to have and what is your budget?

Johnny D

The Facilitator

Not sure ,I'd love to have it all,but that won't happen.I think I'll have to give it a bit more thought.Remote foot pedal for sure,other than that,still up in the air.My budget I'll work on over the next little while.Not sure where it will be yet.Thanks Johnny.

I have the minn Kota with auto pilot thanks to slowpoke for making me buy it years ago. I wish they had I pilot then with anchor mode as that has to be killer to use.

One thing I like about the auto pilot is you can turn it on the point the motor where you want to go and it will keep you going in that direction. This is totally helpful when fishing with the family as I can help them out and not worry about where the boat is heading. It also has a long cord so I can operate the boat from the back and let others fish up front.

Give angling outfitters a call as I got mine there for the same price as the USA you never know he might ha e good uses units.

I have the minn Kota with auto pilot thanks to slowpoke for making me buy it years ago. I wish they had I pilot then with anchor mode as that has to be killer to use.

One thing I like about the auto pilot is you can turn it on the point the motor where you want to go and it will keep you going in that direction. This is totally helpful when fishing with the family as I can help them out and not worry about where the boat is heading. It also has a long cord so I can operate the boat from the back and let others fish up front.

Give angling outfitters a call as I got mine there for the same price as the USA you never know he might ha e good uses units.

That sounds like a great option Mike .Thanks.Will check them out when I figure out what I can spend.lol.

Really?,that's a little more in my price range Bill.Thanks.

A used 60in shaft 24v PD will probably cost you $400, new batteries, plug, onboard charger, it all adds up man :) Although really all you need is the motor and the batteries.. The charger is nice, but it's not required.

I am just using the biggest deep cycle batteries from Walmart for my 24v system. Best part is when they die you get pro rated price on new batteries they usually last three seasons then hard to hold a long charge. Just bring them back with or with out receipt and get your discount usually $30-$40 which helps on a $80-$90 battery

A used 60in shaft 24v PD will probably cost you $400, new batteries, plug, onboard charger, it all adds up man :) Although really all you need is the motor and the batteries.. The charger is nice, but it's not required.

Bill,

I'll buy every 60" shaft 24V trolling motor you can get me for $400.00. I'll add a 15% finders fee on top of that. I have been on ebay and Kijiji and haven't seen any for that price tonight. I have seen some transom mounted 12V units with short shafts for around 500 but nothing like that described at that price. PM me if you have a lead at those prices. I'll buy them all.

they usually last three seasons then hard to hold a long charge.

You should be able to get more than three years from a battery. Keep them charged and check the water levels. Distilled water is best if they need to be topped up; but tap or lake water is probably better than not have adequate water levels. The sooner you can charge them after using them the better.

Ok,now i'm being torn against a Minn Kota and a Motorguide.The price is $100 bucks more for the Minn .48" motor guide,or a 54" Minn.Apparrently my boat ,48" is more than enough. Both are wired foot pedals but the minn Kota's wire length is longer.Any clear winner hear?,or are all of them the same type of reliabilty?.The ones I saw were next to new.No cosmetic damage at all.Thanks again guys.

Minn Kota.. If you don't have the I-Pilot, having a nice long cord on the foot pedal is worth it. Plus when it's windy and the front of that boat is bouncing up and down, you want the extra length.

Seems like a heck of a deal,the extra 6" :whistling: would make a difference for sure .lol.I'm with you on that Bill.I think that's where I'm heading.Thanks.

My boat is much lower to the water than yours is and my motor has a 60" shaft.

I have about 18" to play with when the waves get big.

I would go 54"-60" for your boat.

I'm partial to Minn Kota over Motor Guide

Thanks Dave,my use will always be for the leeside of the lake/no wind.(hope I spelled it right) lol.I just don't like fishing on the winward side.To much wind and aggravation in those conditions.It's only fun for me.