What is a good spot to test the new / used boat

My father purchased a used 17' console fishing boat package.

50hp on the main motor and 15h.p. kicker motor.

I am in heaven! We plan on testing this baby out this week-end for a few hours and wonder where the best place to take it out for a few hours of testing and a few hours of fishing?

I live in Brantford and am willing to travel within an hour or so in any direction.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Side question being this is his first boat... any items or tips on operation or items which should be brought with us on this adventure?

He has a VHF radio and antenna - what channels do I need to know and keep stored for him in case of emergency?

Thanks in advance

Chris

I agree with uncle Buck, Hamilton Bayfront Park. It is a relatively sheltered area where the ramp is. If you should have an immediate problem then you have no worries. If you venture out into the bay just beware of the wind direction, it can get quite choppy on the open harbour especially if you haven't much experience, you will be OK though in a 17'er but I used to have a 12' boat and it was nasty a couple of times. My 16 handles it better.

2Nd choice would be the Grand River, Dunnville. Launch behind the arena or across the bridge at the Grand Island BBQ both charge a fee. You can put it in on the upper river for free above the dam just before the high school. It is a good launch with a new dock this year, but parking is limited when it's busy.

Have fun and maybe you may even catch some fish :thumbsup_anim:

Bayfront Park in Hamilton...

free launch... nice ramp, plus it's in the harbour, no need to worry about hitting bottom

Good suggestion for a first trip Buck...

He has a VHF radio and antenna - what channels do I need to know and keep stored for him in case of emergency?

Thanks in advance

Chris

CH 16 for emergency only, some areas use 68, 71,72 as the " chatter channels". Take a VHF operators course, it's worth the effort for those who have no background in using that type of comms.

My father purchased a used 17' console fishing boat package.

Side question being this is his first boat... any items or tips on operation or items which should be brought with us on this adventure?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Chris

You will have to comply with Transport Canada requirements for equipment. Here is a link that will help:

http://www.boatingsafety.gc.ca/

You are required to have a Radio Operators Licence to operate a VHF radio. Check with your local Power Squadron and find out when the next course is.

You will also require a copy of the boat registration in the boat, ie: the numbers on the side of the boat. (At purchase, you should have received the licence from the seller) You go to a Service Canada office and change the ownership into your fathers name.

Enjoy your first outing

John

Why not head down to long point,I hear the perch are in and some nice sizes are being caught out by EC 10 Buoy.

Good luck and play save.

Ken

Most of long point bay is now a fish sanctuary until opening of bass

Ibsanct.gif

Edited by danbouck