Obtaining Roe...tough to do it properly...

Familyfisherman

Mike,where we are that could last a week or more.You probably know that already lol.For me anyways.

If a dozen bags last a week or more you're doing something wrong, even on the Notty. ;)

I realize I may not be the norm, but in season I use 150-200 bags per week on average.

I realize I may not be the norm, but in season I use 150-200 bags per week on average.

I believe it.

I went through that in 6 days .

Got a 4 day fish coming up. Looking at the forcast and waters,it could be the same Mike.

I'm trying to do the math hear,if you can get the roe yourself and tie,that's the best scenario. If a friend was to cure the eggs,tie,and sell 12 for $5.That doesn't sound like to bad of a deal for that much to me. Talking the recreational fisherman here.Remember I'm loaded to the hilt with pink worms,Gulp single eggs in a varierty of colours.Preserved tied eggs in a bottle.lol. But B if that offer for 500 bags for $11 is still on the table?I'll gladly take a thousand lol.

he said he could make them for 11 bucks

he didn't say how much he would sell them for

Guess you didn't see the lol.Only joking Terry lol,he's helped me out before!!I know it takes time and would never expect anymore from him without a price.

Edited by davey buoy

If shes loose I'll milk what i need right there in a mesh sac and return her to the water but if I kill it I will eat it or give it away to family. Simple enough?

I have an issue with this. No attack on you.To each their own.

If shes loose I'll milk what i need right there in a mesh sac and return her to the water

Sorry,but I cant do that. Take it,or let it go..

but if I kill it I will eat it or give it away to family

This to me,is more humane.

You milked it,she,s been harmed. Take the fish,give the meat away. No harm,no foul.

Why milk and let go?

Just asking here like said,nothing personal. Just asking.

I have an issue with this. No attack on you.To each their own.

If shes loose I'll milk what i need right there in a mesh sac and return her to the water

Sorry,but I cant do that. Take it,or let it go..

but if I kill it I will eat it or give it away to family

This to me,is more humane.

You milked it,she,s been harmed. Take the fish,give the meat away. No harm,no foul.

Why milk and let go?

Just asking here like said,nothing personal. Just asking.

My apilogies Brian. I should have clarified my statement. What I should have mentioned that there are times that the eggs will spill out of a female with the simple action of picking her up. Thats when i harvest a bunch and when the eggs stop I turn her loose. If I have to massage her shes coming home with me.

Edited by moxie

My apilogies Brian. I should have clarified my statement. What I should have mentioned that there are times that the eggs will spill out of a female with the simple action of picking her up. Thats when i harvest a bunch and when the eggs stop I turn her loose. If I have to massage her shes coming home with me.

Thank you for your reply moxie.

If shes spitting out,ya take a bit and let her go. No harm,no foul.

What I seen to day would blow yer mind.THEN AGAIN,WE SEE ALL SORTS OF crap.

Came across a hen chinny on a stringer. No angler around. Lift it,and it was milked .

I just removed the stringer line and let her be on her way. SAD.

Thank you for your reply moxie.

If shes spitting out,ya take a bit and let her go. No harm,no foul.

What I seen to day would blow yer mind.THEN AGAIN,WE SEE ALL SORTS OF crap.

Came across a hen chinny on a stringer. No angler around. Lift it,and it was milked .

I just removed the stringer line and let her be on her way. SAD.

at least it wasnt cut and gutted

On a somewhat related note I fished the Geen yesterday and was appalled at the number of fish being roped. I'll bet 80% of the fish caught on that river are killed, catch and release is almost non existant. One older gent killed a beauty 10lb hen right next to me his only comment being "hope this one has some good eggs".

It's so early in the fall season there's no way the eggs in that fish will be anywhere mature enough. Total waste.

Education is sorely lacking among many of our fellow anglers.

I have nothing against keeping fish, but not indiscriminately. All the great work being done on that river by the Ontario Steelheaders and others is constantly being undermined and it's sad to see.

On a somewhat related note I fished the Geen yesterday and was appalled at the number of fish being roped. I'll bet 80% of the fish caught on that river are killed, catch and release is almost non existant. One older gent killed a beauty 10lb hen right next to me his only comment being "hope this one has some good eggs".

It's so early in the fall season there's no way the eggs in that fish will be anywhere mature enough. Total waste.

Education is sorely lacking among many of our fellow anglers.

I have nothing against keeping fish, but not indiscriminately. All the great work being done on that river by the Ontario Steelheaders and others is constantly being undermined and it's sad to see.

there should be a competency test before licenses are given, like boaters license or drivers

there should be a competency test before licenses are given, like boaters license or drivers

LMAO

Good luck with that.

I do agree,but will never happen.

I fished the Geen yesterday and was appalled at the number of fish being roped. I'll bet 80% of the fish caught on that river are killed, catch and release is almost non existant.

:wallbash: Im all for C&R,BUT IT IS THEIR RIGHT MIKE.,but I hear what yer saying. This time of year is for meat,not eggs, :wallbash:

Good work by the local clubs there. When I seen it for myself last fall,it was amazing.

Guess I,ll just keep fishing the C&R part of my riv,knowing I,m doing my part.

Then again,I did have a request for a small fish,and hit a C&K. part of the riv.

I didnt feel to bad about it,as it was a clone 3 pounder.

so its ok to slaughter browns for their eggs, but not the holy grail - the rainbow.

i see male browns slaughtered, stepped on, all for the mighty egg - which obviously isn't even present in a male.

I believe you said you use 150 roe sacs a week.....

So what is so wrong with this fella doing the same.....likely he'll get through a full season on that fish....

how many fish does it take to use 150 roe sacs per week?

so its ok to slaughter browns for their eggs, but not the holy grail - the rainbow.

i see male browns slaughtered, stepped on, all for the mighty egg - which obviously isn't even present in a male.

So what is so wrong with this fella doing the same.....likely he'll get through a full season on that fish....

The eggs won't be mature, they'll be very small and not of much use. So it's a waste of a fish...

As I said in my post which you obviously didn't read, the rainbow eggs are too immature to be of any use this early in the season. I never said the guy did anything wrong.

As far as myself, I harvest plenty of fish...none go to waste.

The eggs won't be mature, they'll be very small and not of much use. So it's a waste of a fish...

As young as he is it appears as though Christopher gets it.