Turkey deep fryer

fishcrisp

I got line at bass pro years ago and has worked great. Like mentioned TSC sells something similar but I'm not to sure about the pot. There's a place at Kipling on the south/west side of the 401 (same road as FishingWorld) that makes and sells aluminum pots and pans.

Edit: for what it's worth when I did it I followed instructions to a tee and still had a oil boil over. Just saying. We didn't have a fire or anything, but if it were on a nice patio or deck it woulda made a big mess. I'd recomende putting the burner out on some grass in the backyard.

Edited by pidge

I recommend the big easy oil less turkey fryer. Works great and save on the cost and hassle of the oil.

http://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-tru-infrared/the-big-easy-tru-infrared-oil-less-turkey-fryer-12101480.html

That looks pretty good, have you used it much Hoppy? The cost of the oil and the clean up afterwards is a bit of a pain in the butt, but worth the taste of the food. :) If the taste is as good or better than a fryer I might have to look into getting one. Seems like a healthier choice as well.

That looks pretty good, have you used it much Hoppy? The cost of the oil and the clean up afterwards is a bit of a pain in the butt, but worth the taste of the food. :) If the taste is as good or better than a fryer I might have to look into getting one. Seems like a healthier choice as well.

I was thinking hey that's a great price on the Char-broil; so I went through the ordering process and by the time you're ready to click order, the price with handling, shipping and tax it was up over $200.00???

So I checked out Lowes and Home Depot who both sell this unit. Lowes have it on special (ending tomorrow) for $118.00 Reg $148.00.

Home Depot has it for $168.00 but they price match and give an extra 10% off.

So I ended up buying it form HD for $120.00 taxes in.

Got a 5lb chicken out now thawing and going to give it a try tonight and let you know how it works out. That's if the seasoning of the fryer doesn't take to long; according to the instructions, you have to season the unit like a cast iron pan/pot?

Dan.

I was thinking hey that's a great price on the Char-broil; so I went through the ordering process and by the time you're ready to click order, the price with handling, shipping and tax it was up over $200.00???

So I checked out Lowes and Home Depot who both sell this unit. Lowes have it on special (ending tomorrow) for $118.00 Reg $148.00.

Home Depot has it for $168.00 but they price match and give an extra 10% off.

So I ended up buying it form HD for $120.00 taxes in.

Got a 5lb chicken out now thawing and going to give it a try tonight and let you know how it works out. That's if the seasoning of the fryer doesn't take to long; according to the instructions, you have to season the unit like a cast iron pan/pot?

Dan.

after reading this I went and bought one myself.... going to test it on Sunday. Looking forward to hearing your results Dan.

Nick

I have one at the cottage that I have only tried once Will.

We can give it a try next trip.

Yea I did up that chicken last night and it came out pretty good; skin nice and crispy and the breast was all but dripping it was so moist.

The funny thing is, I put a few potatoes and onions in the bottom of the basket and hung the bird just above them. The chicken was done at the 175 degrees but the potatoes and onions were still hard in the center; finished frying them on the stove top.

Made up a gravy with the drippings and it had a smokey flavor to it.

Following the instructions, cooked with the lid off until the last 20 minutes or so. After putting it on, the top of the bird browned up real nice.

Was going to take a few pictures but my belly over ruled that notion and I sat down and got to eating the thing.

Dan.

Definitely check out the infra red cookers. My buddy has one and he puts the turkeys in frozen and there cooked in a few hours. no mess to clean up either.

Yeah, but hows the flavour of the finished product? I mean if you've ever had deep fried turkey you'll know that the BEST part is the skin. I have a hard time believing an infrared cooker gives the same results...

Fryer oil is expensive so buy it at Costco by the pail or find a restaurant and nicely ask what they would charge you for a pail of canola frying oil. Also you can buy a cheap cone filtering system at places like S.T.O.P in KW or any restaurant supply that is open to the public that will allow you to filter the oil and reuse it. Once you filter the oil of you keep it cool you should be able to reuse it a couple of times. Watch canola oil though as it will go off after a while.

If you do deep a fry a turkey though after it is cooked make sure you do off a batch of onion rings to go with it!!!

Take a vadalia or texas sweet onion and slice it into 1/2" rings break them apart then soak the onion rings in BUTTERMILK overnight. Then in a large paper bag mix up the recipe below.

One large onion will make more onion rings than you can imagine so you might not want to soak the whole onion. If you do you might need 1.5 times the recipe below.

2 cups of all purpose flour

1 Cup Corn starch or just enough so that when you grab a handful of the mixture it will stay together.

2 or 3 tablespoons of Lawrys seasoning salt. (depending on your blood pressure level)

Shake off the excess buttermilk from the onion rings place them in the paper bag and shake until they are coated. Shake off excess flour mixture set on a tray loosely chill for 15 minutes in the fridge to set the coating. Then deep fry after the turkey comes out at 325 F minimum. These rings will not brown too deeply but they are done once they are crisp. Have a pair of tongs and a taste tester close by.

I haven't found any side that goes better with deep fryer turkey. Also if you aren't going to filter the oil plan to cook off some other items that you can freeze or eat cold the next day. Hint Chicken strips or wings work well in the recipe above if you coat them with Franks red hot sauce not buttermilk. Don't marinate them in the Franks for more than a couple of minutes though. You can do off 5lbs of wings then place them on sheets freeze individually and then reheat them in the microwave or oven later on. That way you get a bit more use out of the expense of the oil.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Fryer oil is expensive so buy it at Costco by the pail or find a restaurant and nicely ask what they would charge you for a pail of canola frying oil. Also you can buy a cheap cone filtering system at places like S.T.O.P in KW or any restaurant supply that is open to the public that will allow you to filter the oil and reuse it. Once you filter the oil of you keep it cool you should be able to reuse it a couple of times. Watch canola oil though as it will go off after a while.

If you do deep a fry a turkey though after it is cooked make sure you do off a batch of onion rings to go with it!!!

Take a vadalia or texas sweet onion and slice it into 1/2" rings break them apart then soak the onion rings in BUTTERMILK overnight. Then in a large paper bag mix up the recipe below.

One large onion will make more onion rings than you can imagine so you might not want to soak the whole onion. If you do you might need 1.5 times the recipe below.

2 cups of all purpose flour

1 Cup Corn starch or just enough so that when you grab a handful of the mixture it will stay together.

2 or 3 tablespoons of Lawrys seasoning salt. (depending on your blood pressure level)

Shake off the excess buttermilk from the onion rings place them in the paper bag and shake until they are coated. Shake off excess flour mixture set on a tray loosely chill for 15 minutes in the fridge to set the coating. Then deep fry after the turkey comes out at 325 F minimum. These rings will not brown too deeply but they are done once they are crisp. Have a pair of tongs and a taste tester close by.

I haven't found any side that goes better with deep fryer turkey. Also if you aren't going to filter the oil plan to cook off some other items that you can freeze or eat cold the next day. Hint Chicken strips or wings work well in the recipe above if you coat them with Franks red hot sauce not buttermilk. Don't marinate them in the Franks for more than a couple of minutes though. You can do off 5lbs of wings then place them on sheets freeze individually and then reheat them in the microwave or oven later on. That way you get a bit more use out of the expense of the oil.

Wow wish I had that onion ring recipe yesterday!

Yeah, but hows the flavour of the finished product? I mean if you've ever had deep fried turkey you'll know that the BEST part is the skin. I have a hard time believing an infrared cooker gives the same results...

made a turkey on with my new toy and it was very good. I tested it out with a chicken on the Saturday and it was the moistest chicken I've ever eaten! Sunday I put the 16lb turkey in and after 2 1/2 hours it was done! I cooked it till the breast read 165*. The skin was golden brown and crispy. I've had my fair share of Deep Fried Turkeys, I would rate this a more of a rotisserie turkey but with a crispy skin. No oily film on your lips. Next time I would probably cook the bird till 160* and let it tent for about 30 minutes. The dark meat was a little over cooked but still very moist. Overall a great investment and a great recommendation from Hoppy.

NIck

made a turkey on with my new toy and it was very good. I tested it out with a chicken on the Saturday and it was the moistest chicken I've ever eaten! Sunday I put the 16lb turkey in and after 2 1/2 hours it was done! I cooked it till the breast read 165*. The skin was golden brown and crispy. I've had my fair share of Deep Fried Turkeys, I would rate this a more of a rotisserie turkey but with a crispy skin. No oily film on your lips. Next time I would probably cook the bird till 160* and let it tent for about 30 minutes. The dark meat was a little over cooked but still very moist. Overall a great investment and a great recommendation from Hoppy.

NIck

Great to hear Nick. Can you do a stuffed bird in one of those?

Great to hear Nick. Can you do a stuffed bird in one of those?

its not recommended as the stuffing will prevent some of the circulation of the heat nor will it be cooked to the point where its safe ( That's what they say in the book) I normally cook my stuffing separate and just add drippings. BTW the drippings from the bird need to be heated up prior to serving as it goes into a drip tray and it doesn't keep cooking.

I should mention that clean up took my 3 minutes ( paper towel and BBQ scrub brush) I'm thinking that I should bring this out on hardwater this year. May be a fun way to make new friends on the lake :)