sizing a generator [nf]

Raf

Wondering what size generator I should be looking at and what you all use for as an emergency backup.

Purpose is to work as a backup in case power goes out. At minimum, needs to power sump pump & a fridge.

We have a wood burner as a secondary heat source, powering the nat gas furnace fan -- while it would be nice, is not necessary.

I've got a permanent stand-by propane gennie wired directly into my house that automatically fires up when the power goes out, and shuts down when power is restored.

Runs all the important stuff in the house plus most of the lights.

Probably more than what your looking for Raf, but it's nice to know it'll come on when I'm not home, specially in the winter if we're not around to keep the furnace going, and in the spring to look after the sump pump.

Edited by lew

Sump Pump and a fridge will easily run off a 2KW genny.

Pick up a nice little Yamaha or Honda and you'll be set.

A little different if you want to run the furnace and other loads.

5KW and up would be minimal and 7.5KW-10KW if you want to run most of the loads in the house.

What ever you go with you will need a transfer switch to keep from back feeding the grid with your generator.

You can get as manual for the smaller generators as most you will have to start up manually any way.

If you get an automatic like LEW then you also need an automatic transfer switch.

My 2 KW would run the fridge, tv, some lights and a couple other small items.
But it would not operate the microvave, even if it was all that was hooked up. It kicked the breaker on the genny.
My 4 KW operates most everything except the stove. It may even run that, but never tried it.

I'll agree with Fisherman.
Honda is the best out there in Gennys.

Edited by Bernie

Amps X volts =watts. Look on the plug or electrical objects and find the amp's it draws. Take that and apply it to the formula and add all of them up for your total watts.

now multiply it by 1.5 and that is the ideal size generator you need. This will allow for start up amp surges and for the unit to not to be running in the upper RPM's or sub 120 voltage.

Art