Floatfishing, Stupid Questions

Rich

#1 question, what type of backing do you use? I didn't have any at first, big mistake, made my reel seem like crap. I put on some 25lb backing (a LOT) as suggested by a guy on the river , and I will test it today but thought I'd ask what others are using for backing. I might have it all wrong again. Haha

#2 , where the heck can I get decent floats? I dislike the blackbird phantom floats CT carries, i bust them up too quick. I had foam Sheffield floats last season, loved them, and cant find them anymore.

#3 more of a curious question what size hooks for floating roe? I've been using #8 egg hooks with much better success than I had with a #6 last fall.

I use cheap mono for backing, some guys use dacron...

You can get all kinds of floats at centerpinangling.com.. Riverwoods are decent, lots of others kicking around as well.

As for hooks, it depends on the size of the bag (at least for me). Personally I don't run any of the small silly stuff (size 14, etc)... Usually thick wire # 6, 8 and 10.

Alright, thanks. Sounds like my 25lb big game should work fine as backing then. And thanks for that link, might be dangerous for the credit card knowing I can order that magnitude of float equipment. Haha sure beats BPS selection.

Much appreciated Bill!

Bulk mono or (more often) dacron for me too. All you're trying to do is bulk the spool a bit.

You're right to worry for your credit card, since it's pretty easy to get carried away when buying floats. I should be a shareholder at Drennan by now. Thill, too.

As for hooks, match the size of the bait. For the places I fish, 8's and 10's work fine. The only time I ever use the tiny stuff is when fishing single eggs or crickets, and you need the fine wire. Otherwise, they're too hard to tie on the line LOL.

Here's my take on Backing.

I use dacron 50 lb kite string. Comes in many colours, It is much cheaper than the 20/30lb dacron fly backing, it is not as heavy as mono, Does not absorb water like mono, and can be used as a way of adding some color and individuality to reel.

For hooks, match the size of the hook to the size of the bait, as has already been stated.

Very nice floats, very nice, are any for sale? They would make great gifts for the fisherman that has everything. Could I order personalized ones?

Am I missing something? Not being the most technical fisherman in the world, or up on all the latest super materials I have to ask. What would the advantage of using floating flyline, Dacron etc. as backing vs some old heavier mono that's been laying around? There was reference to absorbing water so why not just old mono or whatever you have that has seen better days. All we are trying to accomplish is to reduce reel capacity to use less main line and reduce bite down on braid isn't it? Or has line capacity have nothing to do with it?

A better question maybe is why do we use backing?

I am beyond the red and white bobbers though. Here is where I add LOL.

Rich no question is a stupid question.

Johnny D

I really like the Thill turbo masters, always have a few of those, use the foamies on the larger flows and I like the raven and drennans, keep a large plano box filled with floats and take a handful appropriate for the river I plan to fish for the day, I found myself crushing too many floats, so a dedicated plano box keeps them safe and organized and always in the truck during season

making your own is very simple and MUCH less expensive than tying flies LOL

a hook I really like for the big pink worms/larger sacks is the gammy wide gap finesse sz4, same hook I use for smallies too

I use either cheap 20 lb mono or dacron for backing

Awesome info and great help as always guys!

The backing worked great. In fact everything did. Even my little makeshift speed cured roe bags worked out, and went 4/5 with a #8 egg hook ;) 3 shakers and a one year old salmon. Good trial run, I think I got my setup done right this time!

533760_10151929814172146_1766249957_n_zp

Awesome info and great help as always guys!

The backing worked great. In fact everything did. Even my little makeshift speed cured roe bags worked out, and went 4/5 with a #8 egg hook ;) 3 shakers and a one year old salmon. Good trial run, I think I got my setup done right this time!

533760_10151929814172146_1766249957_n_zp

Nice little rainbow there!

Edited by Christopher k

They're steelies. The shakers tend to run through September at my local runs.. patiently awaiting the big girls.

There are some big browns around already though, always got my hopes in the sky I'll get one of them big girls (or boys).

Anybody know of any tricks to put the odds in your favour for browns?

They're steelies. The shakers tend to run through September at my local runs.. patiently awaiting the big girls.

There are some big browns around already though, always got my hopes in the sky I'll get one of them big girls (or boys).

Anybody know of any tricks to put the odds in your favour for browns?

minnow baits, the few that I've got have been on minnow baits and I have met a few guys who use only jigs and plastic minnows for them.