Hockey thread 2013 2014 season

muskymatt

I don't agree with any of your post, lol!! But that's ok here are my reasons to keep a few of those guys..

Ranger? He's just getting back on his feet after a 4 year layoff and was getting better each game. Gleason? You want to get rid of the only muscle on the D line? Gunnarson? He's probably the best D man Toronto has.. Kuli? Sure.... I wish he'd gain 50lbs, then he'd be dangerous.. Also Kadri, first full season in the NHL and he scores 20 goals.... Let's not make another stupid trade, you keep him. As far as Bolland is concerned, only if they get him cheap,... Clarkson? Trade him for a pack of Smarties and we'd be on the winning end... 100% agreed on Komorov, they could have used him this year...

Also no way Kessel gets the C, he's not a leader...

Edited by BillM

Toronto needs a Captain that canboth play well enough to silence the media, speak in the media and be a leader in the dressing room. If not Phaneuf who would be a better captain? I don't really see one. Pretty much has to be a top pair D man or a first line player. Bozak? JVR? Kessle? No I don't see any of those guys. Perhaps they can make some trades this summer. They still could use a top 2 defenseman or at least a tough stay at home grinder that can play with phaneuf ad well as the obvious of course is the top line center that they need so badly.

Centers by payroll that are UFA's this years

Stastny, Paul » C COL 28 $6,600,000 2014 (UFA) Jokinen, Olli » C WPG 35 $4,500,000 2014 (UFA) Legwand, David » C DET 33 $4,500,000 2014 (UFA) Roy, Derek » C STL 30 $4,000,000 2014 (UFA) Koivu, Saku » C ANA 39 $3,500,000 2014 (UFA) Bolland, Dave » C TOR 27 $3,375,000 2014 (UFA) Grabovski, Mikhail » C WAS 30 $3,000,000 2014 (UFA) Ott, Steve » C STL 31 $2,950,000

2014 (UFA

Defenseman

Boyle, Dan » D SJS 37 $6,666,667 2014 (UFA) Timonen, Kimmo » D PHI 39 $6,000,000 2014 (UFA) Markov, Andrei » D MTL 35 $5,750,000 2014 (UFA) Pitkanen, Joni » D CAR 30 $4,500,000 2014 (UFA) Zidlicky, Marek » D NJD 37 $4,000,000 2014 (UFA) Meszaros, Andrej » D BOS 28 $4,000,000 2014 (UFA) Quincey, Kyle » D DET 28 $3,775,000 2014 (UFA) Salo, Sami » D TBL 39 $3,750,000 2014 (UFA) Orpik, Brooks » D PIT 33 $3,750,000 2014 (UFA

I kind of agree with BillM...except, I don't think 50LBS will fix Kuli. There's smaller guys in the league that don't vanish for 15 game stretches. And Gunnerson? Hmmm not sure, being the best D man in Toronto is like being the one-eyed guy in the land of the blind. The Clarkson/Smarties comment was hilarious though. Maybe if Shanahan comes to town they can be the dynamic duo from Mimico!!

gleason is getting paid way too much for what he brings, I like his game, but not at 4mill a season, maybe 2. I wouldn't want them to trade Kadri but if the right deal comes up then maybe,

I also like Kulemin but he is also making too much for what he brings, he cashed in on a single year 30 goals and he's making 3 mill a season and will probably want a raise now that he will be a UFA.

I like Mcclement, but only on the penalty kill and d zone starts, he's basically useless past the red line.

Gunnarsonn doesn't bring enough to the table to warrant being a 1st line pairing so maybe if he wasn't getting 3.5mill a year and they could find a true #1 to play with phaneuf then he could stay.

Toronto needs a Captain that canboth play well enough to silence the media, speak in the media and be a leader in the dressing room. If not Phaneuf who would be a better captain? I don't really see one. Pretty much has to be a top pair D man or a first line player. Bozak? JVR? Kessle? No I don't see any of those guys. Perhaps they can make some trades this summer. They still could use a top 2 defenseman or at least a tough stay at home grinder that can play with phaneuf ad well as the obvious of course is the top line center that they need so badly.

Agreed, I don't see any of the guys they have right now as 'leaders'.... They definitely need to acquire someone... And beefing up the D line is a must this year.

The top line woul dbe great with an upgrade but yah the defense needs to be upgraded. That is a must have. A Bozak upgrade would be a nice to have, and figuring out what to do with the goalie situation. Noone wants a canucks problem. hahaha

I am not really a cap guy but I do know that they are up against the wall. That means trades, salary dumps or some of the UFA's don't get resigned if they want to get better. Honestly I truly believe the leafs are two players away from being a much better team. if they can get an upgrade down the middle on the top line either in terms of skill or grit and an upgrade for Phaneuf they will have a much better run next year. Clearly one of the goalies is going and its pretty much written on the wall that Reimer goes.

The leafs have alot of UFA's this year.

Bolland, Kulemin, Mcclemant, Raymond, Bodie, Ashton(RFA), Franson(RFA), Ranger, Gardiner(RFA), Reimer(RFA), Macintyre(UFA)

I think Armstrong and Tucker come off the book, freeing up 2 mil but I am not too sure how that works out.

So with riemers 1.8 plus the 2 mil, maybe a mclemant gives them 6 mil to play with. of course they need to resign a few people, but gardiner resigns for a song and a dance given reily is in the pipe, Kulemin, bolland, ranger I would re-sign. I dunno. Lots of work to be done.

Edited by jedimaster

IMHO, there is a fairly short list of players who I would consider keepers on the current roster;

-Bernier

-The two kids on defense

-Kadri

-JVR

The rest came be replaced fairly easily... yah, I know it's hard to replace Kessel's offensive output, but his defensive liabilities add up too fast not to consider him available for the right price.

The rest of the defensive core is mediocre at best and frankly, getting worse by the game.

I expect that the Leafs are going to have a heck of a time getting any free agents to sign here and will in all likelihood, be left picking up whatever leftovers are available after "good teams" have their pick.

Ask yourself this question... would you sign with the Sad Sap Leafs? Forty odd years of futility with no end in sight? Upper management in complete disarray.

They'll get the dregs, the ones who have no other choice offered to them and this futility will only grow.

Yah I know, pretty optimistic eh... that’s what forty odd years of being a fan and watching these guys will do to yah!

HH

PS... does anyone know if the collective agreement allows for any buy-outs this off season... I got a few ideas on that front as well.

If I remember right, someone went long on the wings back when they won their last cup. At the start of the playoffs he said he wasn't a fan, just thought they were going to go far. Now he shows when they make the playoffs in the east in the last weeks of the season.

For those keeping score at home, the wings haven't won since and have a some spectacular collapses.

"Favourite" team change coming in 4, 3, 2.....

Stotys a bandwagon jumper, not a peep out of him the entire season now he's Detroits biggest fan, lol!! That's a real hockey fan folks!

LMAO... I've been a Wings fan for a long time, bud.

And plus... if I was a jumper, why would I jump on a team that doesnt stand a chance according to you... who seems to know everything about everything.

Your team is out and you're still chirping. Hence why the rest of the world hates most of Leafs Nation.

Edited by Stoty

And plus... if I was a jumper, why would I jump on a team that doesnt stand a chance according to you... who seems to know everything about everything.

Your team is out and you're still chirping. Hence why the rest of the world hates most of Leafs Nation.

Why would we now believe you???

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:35 PM

I dont really like the Red Wings, but they will score tons, and go far.

(At least I hope so!!! laugh.gif)

Edited by kickingfrog

I'm chirping you because you decided to show up just as your team was making a push before the playoffs not before that.. That's a bandwagon jumper to me.. If Detroit didn't make the playoffs we wouldn't hear a peep from you in this thread. Keep that foam finger flying bro! lol

(BTW, this is all in good fun man, I gotta bust someones balls because my team didn't make it, lol!)

Edited by BillM

Why would we know believe you???

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:35 PM

I dont really like the Red Wings, but they will score tons, and go far.

(At least I hope so!!! laugh.gif)

6 years isn't a long time bud! I bet you have been flying those Detroit flags from your car window for about 3 weeks now eh?

Nice one KF

Edited by BassMan11

Exactly....that was quite a while ago so saying I'm a jumper this year is hilarious. My other obsession is hockey pools so I'm a stats junkie.

What most of Leafs Nation don't get is that it's not the team that's annoying, it's the Fairweather fan base they have. After winning 2 games at the start of the year they're gonna win the cup and everyone else sucks. But when they lose it's the refs fault or bad goaltending or whatnot. Great winners, horrible losers. And as you can see by how many replies this thread has....a lot of chirping goes on, most of it being from Leaf fans. I'm all about a great hockey debate but some people are just unreal.

Lmao.

23 consecutive appearances is quite impressive. So for a fan of a team that's missed 8/9 or 9/10 or whatever it is to chirp one that has had a little more success is funny to me.

Guess the "Dead Wings", aren't quite dead yet.

Edited by Stoty

Fairweather fans?? LOL Stoty that alone shows how limited your Leaf knowledge is. Most of us were Leaf fans about the time you Mom switched you to solid food and now you're explaining to us how hockey team should be run. If you think it's just Leaf fans who are disgruntled with their team, get on the Ottawa web site forum. Or better yet, look back at the bashing going on in DETROIT when they were hovering near the bottom of the heap. 6 Games into Detroit's playoff run the bashing will begin and around here it'll be "Stoty who"?? GONE. hahahahaha Oh we're waiting!! Detroit SUCKS and everyone knows it.

They def don't have the kick they once did, but if their young guys keep producing and Howard stays hot.....they've got a chance at an upset. Now, hopefully they can withstand the fight and have gas left for 2nd. Lol

Exactly....that was quite a while ago so saying I'm a jumper this year is hilarious. My other obsession is hockey pools so I'm a stats junkie.

6 years is not "quite a while ago". It's 5 regular season and one bettmen sized one. That's not long, and at the time you said you were not a fan. But what do I know?