Frabill Musky net

Dan668

• 2 weeks later...

saw a Frabil net at LeBarons yesterday... $98 I believe. Is this a good net to get without breaking the bank?

It telescopes into the hoop. Is it "baskety" enough to hold a good fish with the handle laid across a 96" wide boat?

I'd like a good net but don't want to spend $200

I've been using the Frabil Big Game for quite a few years now and have always liked the handle and frame better than the Beckman or Stowmaster as to me it just seems much stronger.

But, I've never liked the Big Game bag as I find the larger holes do more damage to the tail and fins of the musky, plus I never liked the way the bag tapers down to practically a point and forces the fish to be twisted around too much.

To me, Beckman "pen" bags are far superior with the straight sides and flat bottom and it just seems much friendlier to the fish with her being able to stretch out a bit more while she's recovering after being unhooked.

The smaller mesh openings also do far less damage to the tail.

Last year I decided to have the best of both worlds and called Rollie & Helens in the States and ordered a Beckman pen and put it on my Frabil frame.

I've had some big fish in this new concoction and it works really well and is far better for the fish...in my opinion.

Here's the old Frabil bag and you can see how it tapers to a point

001-1-3.jpg

And here's the new Beckman "pen" and you can see how it's more of a square box than a point and how it'll be better for the fish while she's recuperating.

It's also easier to remove the hooks with her laying flat rather than her head being stuck down in the tapered point of the Big Game.

002-2.jpg

Surprised to hear that Lew, most musky fisherman that I talked to love that mesh.

Yes they do...until they try the Beckman Pen :lol:

But as I said above, it's only my opinion and I was just trying to offer another suggestion.

80lb Powerpro unless you plan on throwing Bulldawgs... I would go 100 if that is the case. My D has 100lb on it and casts great.

I make leaders the exact same way as Lew - same components as well. If you would like some I can make them for a pretty reasonable price (varies slightly depending on how long you want them). Save some $ compared to store prices... Send me a PM if interested. I guess your location would determine whether or not it makes sense too... I am in Whitby, work in Toronto.

Pete

80lb Powerpro unless you plan on throwing Bulldawgs... I would go 100 if that is the case. My D has 100lb on it and casts great.

I make leaders the exact same way as Lew - same components as well. If you would like some I can make them for a pretty reasonable price (varies slightly depending on how long you want them). Save some $ compared to store prices... Send me a PM if interested. I guess your location would determine whether or not it makes sense too... I am in Whitby, work in Toronto.

Pete

Guess 80lb PP it is. Normally just throw double 10's. Always have good luck on them. If you could Pm me a price. Not sure ive seen the leaders at any local store, also unsure of the length i need. Im in sauga, but go to school downtown, Ryerson.