Hello All, The fishing on the Rideau River has been hot the last couple of days - in sharp contrast to the lacklustre action the previous weeks, smack in the middle of never-ending fronts. This is a short video I filmed on Monday. The largies were stacked on a mid-river wind-swept slop edge. Water depth was approximately 3 to 4 feet and flipping jigs accounted for all fish.

Edited by JustinHoffman

Great!

Just a tip,if you know someone that does window replacements see if they can get you a couple of old window weights. They are made of cast iron and cylindrical in shape and can slow down a drift on a windy day.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3872.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=Cast+iron+window+sash+weights&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Nexstar - The jig is a 1/2oz Cx3 in black with a YUM trailer.

Woodenboater - I only use the "mouth palm slap" when fish are hooked on the inside top and the mouth and are sticking tight. I am actually not hitting the fish at all, just the head of the jig at the correct angle that pops it out quickly and easily almost every time. As for a talon - yes, would definitely work - especially when the wind is really howling. If the winds are calm, I prefer to cover water, so like to actively move with the trolling motor.

Good Fishing,

Justin

Woodenboater - living up here is a gem in terms of fishing and outdoor opportunities. So many lakes so close. Quebec is still relatively untapped, and is home to some monster bass!

Hailing from Whitby, and having to fight to launch a boat in Scugog, Rice or the Kawarthas, Ottawa and the surrounds are a breath of fresh air :)

Good Fishing,

Justin

Great info. Thanks for sharing. I wish the Kawartha Lakes have fishery like the Rideau River.

Nexstar - The jig is a 1/2oz Cx3 in black with a YUM trailer.

Woodenboater - I only use the "mouth palm slap" when fish are hooked on the inside top and the mouth and are sticking tight. I am actually not hitting the fish at all, just the head of the jig at the correct angle that pops it out quickly and easily almost every time. As for a talon - yes, would definitely work - especially when the wind is really howling. If the winds are calm, I prefer to cover water, so like to actively move with the trolling motor.

Good Fishing,
Justin