Sunday Morning Goat Rodeo (+ first & new PB)

Pikeslayer

Part I

Well, I got out on Lake O for only the 4th trip on Sunday. My brother Vince & SIL Troy were the crew. Back the boat & trailer into the ramp, Merc fires up real good and I push off Troy & the boat. Drive & park the truck & trailer and saunter back to the launch. Even stopped for a pee in the bushes LOL. As some of you know, I am hearing impaired and refuse to wear aids (pros outweigh cons). Plus I was a little discombobulated from the previous evening activities. I come into view of the ramp and Troy and Vince are trying frantically to get my attention!!! Okay, so I quicken my pace to get within hearing range and (y'all know what's coming next right?) Troy is waving something in his hand. Quicker pace and notice the bilge running overtime. Yep, finally happened to Mr. ATD (attention to detail). Let me tell ya, I have not run so fast since my last 'bank job' 20 yrs ago. Thank gawd Troy & I are well practiced in launching and power loading. The whole event was probably less than 8 minutes but we had water coming up through the mid cabin floor storage.

Goat Rodeo part II

After draining the boat, we relaunch with the plug intact. Shoot out to our offshore starting point, fire up the kicker (9.9 Honda) and start deploying downrigger lines. Mission accomplished in minutes and now set out the wire dipseys. Honda starts to idle down all by itself and quits within 30 seconds. WHAT NOW !!!! Nope, won't fire back up despite numerous attempts and I have no idea WTH is going on. Still a little foggy from TNB. So we decide to troll with the Merc but stay within a few miles of shore just in case the Merc decides to enter the goat rodeo. Happy to say, there were no more mechanical issues for the rest of the day.

Goat Rodeo part III

We managed to land a couple of nice 5/6 lb bows and decided to harvest them. During a looooong break without action, I decided to bleed & clean the bows. First bow over the starboard side to slice and bleed out, I drop it into drink and it sinks into rainbow heaven. Did I mention I was feeling a little 'out of sorts'???? I decided to bleed out/clean number 2 on the downrigger platform and was successful without incident.

Goat Rodeo conclusion

Happy to say there was no further GR events. As a matter of fact, after much pleading and doing my Moses thing with the fish gawds, we were rewarded with this first & PB:

effb412ebf647f2784b7e8798c713801_zpsbbae

Dropped the kicker off @ City Marine 9:00 am Monday and picked it up 9:00 am Tuesday (thx Dave & Beto). Seems that while we were unsuccessful in sinking the boat, we managed to drown the kicker 'real good' LOL.

I'm pretty/somewhat sure/confident that that's maybe/hopefully a first and last time event.

ps. Upon pondering this 'cluster', I am thankful that we decided to install an auto bilge in addition to the manual one.. That was the 'telltale'

That's a tale that will be told for a few years I bet . . good thing it wasn't me power loading this time - you'd have been sunk for sure.

Congrats on the PB - that a sweet brownie. You did better than I that day from a fish count perspective, although the one I lost did swim away...... :lol:

And to think,I was going to say,I have next Thursday/Friday off. :whistling:

Thanks for the morning chuckle Simon.

If your talking about 29/30, I will probably have a couple of seats open. Weather & wind depending. I'll let ya know.

lol

welcome to my world

From what I've read over the years, I've got a lot of catching up to do? LOL ;)

Nice brown.

That's a tale that will be told for a few years I bet . . good thing it wasn't me power loading this time - you'd have been sunk for sure.

Congrats on the PB - that a sweet brownie. You did better than I that day from a fish count perspective, although the one I lost did swim away...... :lol:

Amazing looking brown! Fantastic dude :clapping:

Nice brownie, Simon!! As for the rest, yikes, LOL!!!!!!

Yep, was a tasty one...

31b81fd9d766fa647da94a24b77ca8aa_zpsd4ae

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/38028/blackened-fish

Edited by pikeslayer

We all forget the drain plug at some point in time of boat ownership....well I know that I have forgotten to. :D A good day on the water none the less and congrats on your PB. :thumbsup_anim:

Glad to see i'm not the only dufus angler out there LOL !!!! great story Simon, and beuty fish. Good to see you relaxing bud !!

I'm laughing with you, not at you, I promise :)

Been there, done that, have the T-shirt :)

Nice brownie!

S.

I've done that before too. I'm sure almost everyone has.

All you can do is laugh :) and pay the mechanic ;)