NF - Toronto Police officer charged with 2nd degree murder

BucktownAngler

"What this has done is put a second guess into every cop when a matter of lethal force happens... IMHO this will impact not only the copper and deceased's families but the families of many other civilians and officers because the second thought will cause a moment of indecision putting lives at risk"

I hope you are correct. Before lethal force is used, a second guess SHOULD be used.

I'm quite sure if this second guess was used in all cases, there would be more good as a result than harm.

This thread also makes me question just what will it take for a police officer NOT to take a side of a fellow police officer - I'm starting to wonder if it is even possible.

Pepper spray - taser - gun. The kid was inside a bus - he wouldn't be able to breathe if they sauced the bus up with pepper spray. If that failed, a good shock from the taser would straighten every single hair on his body.

The cop will be put on trial for the public to simmer down but nothing will become of it... the cop probably has some mental disorder or something and will get a reduced sentence, if that. Now if the kid killed the cop with 9 rounds, oh boy - sentenced for life and then some - plus a good old beating from time to time behind closed doors.

The cop screwed up if you ask me and should be punished accordingly.

If he's convicted... he's gonna get more than a good ol beating from time to time. I can tell you that much.

"Forcillo is the seventh Toronto police officer to be charged with murder or manslaughter since the SIU’s inception in 1990.
In those cases, all officers were acquitted or had their charges dismissed. In one recent case, the Crown has appealed a decision earlier this year to dismiss charges against Emergency Task Force officer David Cavanagh. A decision as to whether charges of manslaughter can proceed is expected by Sept. 1."
Are they setting it up for the new Headlines already?

the guy had a knife, if he was shot twice don't believe there would be any charges

but this cop is a stone cold killer or crazy...maybe both

I saw a guy empty his clip into a deer and he thought he only fired once, so who knows what goes through ones mind when you shoot someone

I too have seen the same thing on more than one occasion. Not trying to defend the officer but until you have walked a mile in his shoes!!!!! Fear does strange things to people in a time of panic.

Saw a thing one time where a cop had shot a guy that had a gun pointed at him, turned out that the gun wasn't loaded but the cop didn't know it. A reporter started getting mouthy about it and was asked by a senior officer how he would have handled it. The reporter replied "well, first of all" and the senior officer stopped him and said "by then you or an innocent bystander could have been dead"!

I don't know what really happened or why he kept firing but that is for the courts to decide!

The only reason this trial is being speeded up is because of the number of witnesses and the public outcry..

I haven't read that article so I'm not sure of what their intent is but you're probably right. I'd be surprised if he is in fact sentenced.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I too have seen the same thing on more than one occasion. Not trying to defend the officer but until you have walked a mile in his shoes!!!!! Fear does strange things to people in a time of panic

what panic did the cop have with 22 of his armed buddies surrounding a scared kid with his genitals in his hand and a jack knife...who was the one panicked?

well you were not there and you have never shot anyone (! will bet) so you don't know what made him to continue firing

clearly he can't be a cop anymore but from the details I have heard so far I can not convict him, so I will wait for the evidence, before saying there was criminal intent on the cops part

RE: tasering

don't forget that the taser is not the non deadly weapon that it was made out to be when they first came out.

people die all the time from one taser shot. just yesterday another person died in BC from a taser shot.

yes it makes news but its becoming very common.

so even if they had tasered him initially as the only means of subduing him, he still could have died.

best way to avoid getting tasered is not to commit criminal acts.

I do agree the media is portraying this knife wielding nutcase as a saint.

he was not.

Edited by 12 Volt Man

We don't know what was going thru the cops mind and perhaps he even thought there was still someone on the streetcar with the guy holding the knife.

Personally, I'd just as soon wait till the truth comes out before some of you guys lynch the cop.