Small.....small lake..could there be fish

kingfisher73

Hello all..new to the site but been reading posts for some time..

Im off to a lake in a few months that is very small..3-5 ft i think is average depth with a possible 20ft hole on one side..

Its called Butler lake..not the lake on the border of manitoba..im excited to go..but worried there maybe no fish there..thinking pssible fish kills due to hot water..cikd water..etc..can anyone tell me what i can expect..i know its a hard question...its about 7 hrs north of TO..i dont know exact location..im joining a group going..

do small lakes with shallow small depths produce good size fish....???

Thanks for every reply..

I have found some really good fishing in spots you wouldn't expect to find fish at all. If the lake is spring fed or has a good curent, it could be loaded with trout! There are a lot of factors to consider, is there a lot of brush along the shore line to provide shade and cover? Water temperatures and clarity will also play a big role in what could be in the lake. I know several very small shallow lakes that produce some huge bass and one of my favorite rainbow fishing holes is very shallow except for one deep hole. It consistantly produces rainbows over two lbs. Go give it a try, worst thing that can happen is you had a good day fishing!

Hi. That lake is in the matheson area and is quite small. It is a fairly private lake surrounded with cottages and gets alot of boating traffic as well as fishing fishing pressure from the residents. Holds smallmouth and walleye and pike but i havent been there in years and at the time the numbers were down. Good luck and practice conservation on that lake.

Edited by spawn

Fish it !!

My best Brookie lake is a pot hole lake with tons of springs ! You could almost call it a pond .

Still remember the surprise when my slip float dropped under the surface and a feisty Brookie was landed shortly after.

Here's the kicker ... I had bypassed this lake and portaged further in to other lakes for years thinking it was to small to waste time on.

Lesson learned .

Hey, people used do fish the ditches so anything is possible B)

People fish the ditches at the end of my road for brookies. I am not lying.

There is a creek that is 10 yards behind my house that has brookies in it.

As to the OP. There are not too many lakes or ponds that don't have some kind of fish in it. The trick is to find out what is there and how to catch them (so pretty much the exact same thing as fishing on a big body of water)